all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-28 21:01 rpd
From: rpd @ 2009-08-28 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi
I am trying to find how I can view my website ftp server directories & files
so I can edit & upload/download the files from Emacs. I have previously been
using AceFtp (freeware edition-& very good & useful-can I open/use this from
Emacs?).

Otherwise I have tried M-x ftp in minibuffer & get - ftp to host: - but then
I do not think I am putting in correct file syntax as I do not seem to get
anywhere (except the buffer says ftp mode(?)).
I have searched the internet & seen bits about Ange-ftp & Tramp & org-mode
etc but haven't seen a simple explanation of ftp server access anywhere yet!
(no simple beginner emacs tutorial for this anywhere?!). Can someone please
explain this to me simply?
Later I will be interested in seeing how I can do website development in
Emacs.

For now I am most grateful for help & advice with accessing my ftp server &
look forward to helpful replies. As ever, many thanks

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
       [not found] <mailman.5600.1251493297.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-29  0:35 ` A.Politz
From: A.Politz @ 2009-08-29  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 28, 11:01 pm, rpd <rich...@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I am trying to find how I can view my website ftp server directories & files
> so I can edit & upload/download the files from Emacs.
[...]

You use it like any other filesystem, e.g. with dired.

C-x d /ftp:anonymous@ftp.idsoftware.com: RET
C-x 2
C-x d ~ RET

Now mark some files in the ftp window and type
C RET
to copy them to your local filesystem.  This would go both
ways, if you had write access on the server.

(info "(emacs) Remote Files")

-ap

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-29  8:47   ` rpd
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5624.1251542733.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-08-29  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi AP
Thanks for your reply.
At the moment this doesn't work for me.
This is the error message I get:

 c:/Users/Dad:
  wildcard ftp.<username>@ftp.<ftpserver>

(I have inserted <username> & <ftpserver> for the exact matches)

(No match)
total used in directory 0 available 26648608

What is this please? How can I change this so I can connect to the server?

Thanks

@ 2009-08-29 10:45     ` rpd
       [not found]     ` <mailman.5624.1251542733.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-08-29 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi
I tried C-x-d

/<username>@ftp.<server>:

& was prompted for password for <server> but when I gave the password Emacs
froze
Any ideas anyone?

@ 2009-08-29 11:41       ` Xavier Sanchez
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5629.1251568328.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Sanchez @ 2009-08-29 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 29, 6:45 am, rpd <rich...@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
> I tried C-x-d
>
> /<username>@ftp.<server>:
>
> & was prompted for password for <server> but when I gave the password Emacs
> froze
> Any ideas anyone?

I had the same problem, and solved it by using this alternate client:
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/emacs/windows/contrib/ftp-for-win32.zip

Put it anywhere, (but don't try to replace the Windows ftp client) and
put this line in your .emacs:
(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "c:/path/to/ftp.exe")

Hope that's it

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-29 17:51         ` rpd
       [not found]         ` <mailman.5629.1251568328.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-08-29 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Xavier

Many thanks for your very helpful reply. I followed your advice & dl the ftp
for win32 exe file & added the code to .emacs & put the path to to the .exe
in Path env and I can now access the server files!

(is there anyway to make a shortcut code to access the server more
directly?).

That problem had niggled me for the past 2 days! Glad you have helped me
sort it out!
Best wishes to you

@ 2009-08-29 18:51           ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-08-29 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rpd <richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote :

| Many thanks for your very helpful reply. I followed your advice & dl the ftp
| for win32 exe file & added the code to .emacs & put the path to to the .exe
| in Path env and I can now access the server files!
>
| (is there anyway to make a shortcut code to access the server more
| directly?).

I have this in my .emacs

(defun cez ()
"Connexion ftp avec junon dans emacs"
(interactive)
(find-file "/ftp:<username>@<servername>:~/")
)

Then:

M-x cez

et voilà!

And you can also store your password in a file, so tramp won't ask you
every time.

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-29 21:21             ` rpd
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5640.1251584643.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-08-29 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Jean

Nice one! (I should have figured something out like that myself really!).
Thanks a lot for your reply with that helpful shortcut.

I am now trying to use Tramp (& ssh) to connect to server but haven't got
that working yet!

Best wishes

@ 2009-08-29 22:23               ` rpd
       [not found]               ` <mailman.5640.1251584643.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-08-29 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi all

I am now able to use Tramp to access my server remote files but cannot get a
shortcut to work with it (like the ftp example Jean showed in a prior post)

Currently I have this:

(defun scut ()
"Connexion ssh avec junon dans emacs"
(interactive)
(Tramp "/ssh:<username>@<host>:~/")
)

While I might be able to find and figure out what is needed for this to work
I would be very grateful for help from anyone who knows what is needed now
to get this to work!
I look forward to helpful replies, regards & best wishes

@ 2009-08-30  8:10                 ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-08-30  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rpd <richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote :

| Currently I have this:
>
| (defun scut ()
| "Connexion ssh avec junon dans emacs"
| (interactive)
| (Tramp "/ssh:<username>@<host>:~/")
| )
>
| While I might be able to find and figure out what is needed for this to work
| I would be very grateful for help from anyone who knows what is needed now
| to get this to work!
| I look forward to helpful replies, regards & best wishes

If I understand you correctly you want to use ssh instead of ftp? In this
cas a ssh server must be installed on the distant machine.

Moreover, "Tramp" is not a valid function, why not leave "find-file"?

cheers,
--
Jean

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-30  8:23                 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.5657.1251628222.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-08-30  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rpd; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

rpd <richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Hi all

Hi,

> I am now able to use Tramp to access my server remote files but cannot get a
> shortcut to work with it (like the ftp example Jean showed in a prior post)

http://www.gnu.org/software/tramp/#Frequently-Asked-Questions

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-30 10:30                   ` rpd
       [not found]                   ` <mailman.5657.1251628222.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: rpd @ 2009-08-30 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael

Thank you for showing me this link/ way to the FAQ for Tramp.

This code (similar to the earlier code Jean posted) allows me to access the
files on the server but after I type in my password:

(defun scut ()
"Connexion ssh avec junon dans emacs"
(interactive)
(find-file "/<username>@<host>:~/")
)

How about automatically entering the password too?
I cannot see that mentioned on the FAQ- but there should be a way to do it?
Can someone advise me please how to include the password for full
'autologin' to the server?

Many thanks

@ 2009-08-30 12:52                     ` Jean Magnan de Bornier
From: Jean Magnan de Bornier @ 2009-08-30 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rpd <richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> wrote :

| How about automatically entering the password too?

There are protocol-specific ways of authentication, ie different ways for
ftp or ssh; but these are not emacs related.

If you use ssh, have a look at the ssh manual.
--
Jean

* Re: Help to connect to & view ftp server directory/files
@ 2009-08-30 15:17                     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-08-30 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: rpd; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

rpd <richard@dickinson350.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Hi Michael

Hi,

> I cannot see that mentioned on the FAQ- but there should be a way to do it?
> Can someone advise me please how to include the password for full
> 'autologin' to the server?

Autologin is not possible from Tramp. But you might keep the password
for the lifetime of an Emacs session; read the Tramp manual about
password cache.

> Many thanks

Best regards, Michael.