all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to adjust the windows configuration using gnus-carpal, group-carpal, and summary-carpal?
@ 2009-09-02  7:49 Benjamin L. Russell
       [not found] ` <mailman.5906.1251924428.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Benjamin L. Russell @ 2009-09-02  7:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

(A slightly different version of this question has already been posted
in the thread "Re: How to adjust the windows configuration?" (see
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/msg/c205c34f549693ac),
dated "Tue, 01 Sep 2009 18:52:10 +0900," on the newsgroup
gnu.emacs.gnus, but has not received a response, so I am forwarding the
question to this mailing list.)

Currently, I have the following Gnus window layout, which I am trying to
customize further:

|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|          Group Buffer             |         Summary Buffer          |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                            Article Buffer                           |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |

This layout is based on the following portion of my .gnus.el file:

> [...]

>  ; configure the article buffer
>  '(article
>    ; split the screen in two vertically, and use the following settings for the upper half of the window
>    (vertical 1.0
>          ; the original number of rows for the group + summary buffers together, copied from "Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ 4 - Reading messages" (http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_400.html#SEC473)
>          (horizontal 28
>              ; the original number of columns for the group buffer width setting, copied from "Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ 4 - Reading messages" (http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_400.html#SEC473)
> ;                 (group 50)
>              ; setting of the number of columns for the group buffer width setting to match my settings in Forte' Agent 5.0
> ;             (group 53)
>              ; setting of the number of columns for the group buffer width setting to display all newsgroup names without truncation
>                  (group 77)
>              ; let the summary buffer take the remainder of the width of the rows, and position the point (cursor) therein
>                  (summary 1.0 point) )
>          ; let the lower half take up the remainder of the horizontal space, and apply the following settings therein
>          (horizontal 1.0
>              ; let the article buffer take up the entire space of the lower half of the window
>                  (article 1.0)))))

> ;; The following section controls the layout after displaying the group and summary buffers only (i.e., before displaying the article buffer)
> ; change the configuration of a single buffer setting, without using the complicated gnus-buffer-configuration variable (see "Frequently Asked Questions: Window Layout" at http://gnus.org/manual/gnus_295.html)
> (gnus-add-configuration
>  ; configure the summary buffer
>  '(summary
>    ; split the screen in two vertically, and use the following settings for the upper half of the window (unless the lower half is specified separately as above, here, the upper half may take up all the vertical space of the window)
>    (vertical 1.0
>              ; split the window horizontally, and take up whatever space is available for the following settings
>          (horizontal 1.0
> ;;             ; the original number of columns for the group buffer width setting, copied from "Frequently Asked Questions: FAQ 4 - Reading messages" (http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus_400.html#SEC473)
> ;;             (group 50)
> ;;             ; setting of the number of columns for the group buffer width setting to match my setting in Forte' Agent 5.0
> ;;             (group 53)
>              ; setting of the number of columns for the group buffer width setting to display all newsgroup names without truncation
>              (group 77)
>              ; let the summary buffer take the remainder of the width of the rows, and position the point (cursor) therein

The only remaining difficulty is the correct specification of the
"group-carpal" and "summary-carpal" variables with the "gnus-carpal"
variable set to t.

The "gnus-carpal" variable toggles enabling display of buttons to click
for a given buffer; e.g., with "gnus-carpal" set to t, one can then
enable specification of "summary-carpal 4" to dedicate 4 columns to
display of summary-carpal buttons for the summary buffer, "group-carpal
4" to dedicate 4 columns to display of group-carpal buttons for the
group buffer, etc.

Unfortunately, even with "gnus-carpal" set to t as above, the following
code snippet only displays the "summary-carpal" buttons in a narrow
4-column area immediately to the right of the summary buffer:

> (gnus-add-configuration
>  '(summary
>    (vertical 1.0
>          (horizontal 1.0
>              (group 50)
>              (summary 1.0 point)
>              (if gnus-carpal
>                  '(summary-carpal 4))))))

The buttons are impossible to read in this configuration.

Therefore, if possible, I would additionally prefer to specify 4 *rows*
of the "summary-carpal" buttons immediately below the summary buffer,
and a matching 4 *rows* of "group-carpal" buttons immediately below the
group buffer, with perhaps another 4 *rows" of "???????-carpal" buttons
(the term, if it exists, for the article-related buttons is not clear
from the online documentation at "Gnus 5.1 Manual - Various" (see
http://www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/chemnet/use/info/gnus/gnus_8.html))
immediately below the article buffer; thusly:

|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|          Group Buffer             |         Summary Buffer          |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|          Group-carpal             |         Summary-carpal          |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                            Article Buffer                           |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                            ???????-carpal                           |

Would anybody know how to specify *rows*, instead of *columns*, for the
"group-carpal" and "summary-carpal" sections above, and how to configure
the "???????-carpal" section as above?

Additionally, the following related issues are not clear:

1) What term should be substituted for "???????" in the above-described
"???????-carpal" term for button functionality for the article buffer?

2) What functionality is provided by the server and browse buffers
hinted at by the documented "gnus-carpal-server-buffer-buttons" and
"gnus-carpal-browse-buffer-buttons" settings described?

3) What is the difference between a browse buffer and an article buffer?
I thought that the group buffer provided a list of groups, the summary
buffer provided a list of articles, and the article buffer provided the
content of an article; what is the purpose of a browse buffer?

-- Benjamin L. Russell

[1] Russell, Benjamin L. "Re: How to adjust the windows
configuration?". Online posting. 1 Sept. 2009. 2
Sept. 2009. <news://gnu.emacs.gnus>. Also available at
<http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.gnus/msg/c205c34f549693ac>.
http://dekudekuplex.wordpress.com/
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto." -- Matsuo Basho^

* Re: How to adjust the windows configuration using gnus-carpal, group-carpal, and summary-carpal?
@ 2009-09-02 20:46 ` Andreas Politz
       [not found] ` <mailman.5906.1251924428.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-09-02 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: muede73

DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:

[dontknow]
> 3) What is the difference between a browse buffer and an article buffer?
> I thought that the group buffer provided a list of groups, the summary
> buffer provided a list of articles, and the article buffer provided the
> content of an article; what is the purpose of a browse buffer?

Press '^' in the group buffer and then RET (on a suitable server) in the
server buffer and you are in the browse buffer.

-ap

@ 2009-09-03  5:30   ` Benjamin L. Russell
From: Benjamin L. Russell @ 2009-09-03  5:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

> DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:
>
> [dontknow]
>> 3) What is the difference between a browse buffer and an article buffer?
>> I thought that the group buffer provided a list of groups, the summary
>> buffer provided a list of articles, and the article buffer provided the
>> content of an article; what is the purpose of a browse buffer?
>
> Press '^' in the group buffer and then RET (on a suitable server) in the
> server buffer and you are in the browse buffer.

I see; a buffer for browsing the list of available newsgroups for a
given server.  Interesting!

Incidentally, besides this newsgroup and gnu.emacs.gnus, are there any
other newsgroups or mailing lists for asking detailed questions
concerning obscure/arcane features of Gnus?  I haven't yet received any
constructive responses for creating group-carpal or summary-carpal
windows arranged horizontally immediately below the group and summary
buffers, respectively, and using Google, the Gnus FAQ, Emacs info, or
the Gnus Manual doesn't seem to reveal a direct answer, either.

I just noticed that, according to page 268 of the Gnus Manual (see
http://www.gnus.org/manual/gnus.pdf), in the description of the
"gnus-configure-frame" procedure, there does seem to be a reference
to parameters labelled "height" and "width"; _viz._:

(gnus-configure-frame
 ’(frame 1.0
	  (vertical 1.0
		    (summary 0.25 point frame-focus)
		    (article 1.0))
	  (vertical ((height . 5) (width . 15)
		     (user-position . t)
		     (left . -1) (top . 1))
		    (picon 1.0))))

The paragraph below this code snippet, after describing the code,
concludes, "The list of all possible keys for
gnus-buffer-configuration can be found in its default value."

Therefore, I typed "M-x apropos", followed by
"gnus-buffer-configuration", to obtain this default value, and
obtained the following:

> gnus-buffer-configuration is a variable defined in `gnus-win.el'.
> Its value is shown below.
>
> Documentation:
> Window configuration for all possible Gnus buffers.
> See the Gnus manual for an explanation of the syntax used.

> [...]

However, in the above description, there are no references to the
"height" or "width" parameters, and the references to "gnus-carpal"
all show quoted lists as parameters where the cars are, respectively,
"group-carpal", "server-carpal", or "browse-carpal", each with a
single integer for the cdr, denoting the width, but not the height.
This means that there is no parameter for specifying the height of the
associated "-carpal" window for specifying in the following (desired)
windows configuration:

|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
|                                   |                                 |
[...]

Any ideas for where to look for this parameter, or for a functionally
equivalent alternative?

-- Benjamin L. Russell

@ 2009-09-04 15:02     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2009-09-04 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

DekuDekuplex@Yahoo.com (Benjamin L. Russell) writes:

> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |          Group Buffer             |         Summary Buffer          |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |          Group-carpal             |         Summary-carpal          |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                            Article Buffer                           |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                                   |                                 |
> |                            ???????-carpal                           |
>
> Any ideas for where to look for this parameter, or for a functionally
> equivalent alternative?
>
> -- Benjamin L. Russell

I took a look at gnus window-configuration, at least as far as to
produce your above scetch.

(gnus-add-configuration
 '(summary (vertical 1.0
                     (horizontal 0.5
                                 (vertical 0.5
                                           (group 1.0)
                                           (if gnus-carpal
                                                '(group-carpal 4)))
                                 (vertical 1.0
                                           (summary 1.0 point)
                                           (if gnus-carpal
                                                '(summary-carpal 4))))
                     (vertical 1.0
                               (article 1.0)
                               (message 4)))))

There appears to be no article-carpal.  At least not in the
`gnus-window-to-buffer' variable, which i believe to be a list of valid
symbols for this kind of buffers.

-ap