all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Hash-tables containing references to hash-tables
@ 2009-11-23 11:12 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2009-11-23 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible for a hash-table to contain a *reference* to another
hash-table, similar to how we can build arbitrary graphs using conses/
lists and setf?
If so how? If not, is there reason for being so or is it just an emacs
todo?

If we have
  (puthash parent-key (make-hash-table : size CHILD-SIZE) parent-hash)
then I want
  (gethash parent-key parent-hash)
to return a *reference* to hash-table contained in parent-hash.

I already have a working code for this but I am uncertain how this
will perform when CHILD-SIZE is really large.

/Nordlöw

* Re: Hash-tables containing references to hash-tables
@ 2009-11-23 12:41 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2009-11-23 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Hash-tables containing references to hash-tables
@ 2009-11-23 14:10 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-11-23 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nordlöw <per.nordlow@gmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible for a hash-table to contain a *reference* to another
> hash-table, similar to how we can build arbitrary graphs using conses/
> lists and setf?

Yes.

There is not automatic copy ever done in lisp.  You have to
explicitely copy the structures (such as cons, copy-list,
copy-hash-table, copy-my-struct, etc) you use if you want copies (or
use a function that explicitely copies the input data like append does
for all lists but the last).  And for some types, there are even no
predefined copier function!

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__