all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
@ 2010-01-06 18:27 Frank Fredstone
From: Frank Fredstone @ 2010-01-06 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I use dovecot imapd with both an mbox for INBOX and maildir for other
folders, and I use sieve to split email into maildir folders.

In .gnus.el I have:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
          '((nnml "mail")
                (nnimap "asdf"
                                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                                (nnimap-stream network))))

I use fetchmail and exim which put email in /var/spool/user. Dovecot
stores INBOX in that same file, the mbox file. For other folders it
stores to maildir files.

This worked fine with emacs 22 and gnus. Now, with emacs 23.1, when I
start gnus, with nnimap-split-inbox unset, the messages that were in
the mbox file are moved to nnml+mail:inbox. The result is that my
imap inbox is empty, and the mbox file is empty.

Do you know what I can do to have it not move me email?

* Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
@ 2010-01-07 19:06 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-01-07 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jan 06 2010, Frank Fredstone wrote:

> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>           '((nnml "mail")
>                 (nnimap "asdf" [...]

> I use fetchmail and exim which put email in /var/spool/user. Dovecot
> stores INBOX in that same file, the mbox file. For other folders it
> stores to maildir files.
>
> This worked fine with emacs 22 and gnus. Now, with emacs 23.1, when I
> start gnus, with nnimap-split-inbox unset, the messages that were in
> the mbox file are moved to nnml+mail:inbox. The result is that my
> imap inbox is empty, and the mbox file is empty.
>
> Do you know what I can do to have it not move me email?

Remove '(file) from `mail-sources'.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
@ 2010-01-07 21:24   ` Frank Fredstone
From: Frank Fredstone @ 2010-01-07 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Wed, Jan 06 2010, Frank Fredstone wrote:
>
>> (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
>>           '((nnml "mail")
>>                 (nnimap "asdf" [...]
>
>> I use fetchmail and exim which put email in /var/spool/user. Dovecot
>> stores INBOX in that same file, the mbox file. For other folders it
>> stores to maildir files.
>>
>> This worked fine with emacs 22 and gnus. Now, with emacs 23.1, when I
>> start gnus, with nnimap-split-inbox unset, the messages that were in
>> the mbox file are moved to nnml+mail:inbox. The result is that my
>> imap inbox is empty, and the mbox file is empty.
>>
>> Do you know what I can do to have it not move me email?
>
> Remove '(file) from `mail-sources'.

Actually, I have mail-sources unset, so it's nil.

I have also tried removing (nnml "mail") from
gnus-secondary-select-methods, and I've also tried changing it to
(nnml "mail" (nnml-get-new-mail nil)). Either of those changes results
in my IMAP inbox being empty, and teh email disappears (it's in an
Incoming... file).

I have also tried adding:

(setq nnmail-spool-file '("/var/mail/empty"))

where /var/mail/empty is an empty file, and it still empties my IMAP inbox.

* Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
@ 2010-01-08 17:37     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-01-08 17:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jan 07 2010, Frank Fredstone wrote:

> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>> Remove '(file) from `mail-sources'.
>
> Actually, I have mail-sources unset, so it's nil.
>
> I have also tried removing (nnml "mail") from
> gnus-secondary-select-methods, and I've also tried changing it to
> (nnml "mail" (nnml-get-new-mail nil)). Either of those changes results
> in my IMAP inbox being empty, and teh email disappears (it's in an
> Incoming... file).

Do you have a non-nil `nnimap-split-inbox'?

,----[ (info "(gnus)Splitting in IMAP") ]
`----

@ 2010-01-08 18:40       ` Frank Fredstone
From: Frank Fredstone @ 2010-01-08 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Thu, Jan 07 2010, Frank Fredstone wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> Remove '(file) from `mail-sources'.
>>
>> Actually, I have mail-sources unset, so it's nil.
>>
>> I have also tried removing (nnml "mail") from
>> gnus-secondary-select-methods, and I've also tried changing it to
>> (nnml "mail" (nnml-get-new-mail nil)). Either of those changes results
>> in my IMAP inbox being empty, and teh email disappears (it's in an
>> Incoming... file).
>
> Do you have a non-nil `nnimap-split-inbox'?

No. All of nnimap-split-inbox, nnmail-split-methods and
nnimap-split-rule are unset.

* Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
@ 2010-01-08 22:22         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2010-01-08 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:40:37 -0800 Frank Fredstone <none@not.no> wrote:

FF> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:

>>> Actually, I have mail-sources unset, so it's nil.
>>>
>>> I have also tried removing (nnml "mail") from
>>> gnus-secondary-select-methods, and I've also tried changing it to
>>> (nnml "mail" (nnml-get-new-mail nil)). Either of those changes results
>>> in my IMAP inbox being empty, and teh email disappears (it's in an
>>> Incoming... file).
>>
>> Do you have a non-nil `nnimap-split-inbox'?

FF> No. All of nnimap-split-inbox, nnmail-split-methods and
FF> nnimap-split-rule are unset.

Reiner, note Adam Sjogren and I are working on this issue in
gnu.emacs.gnus with Frank.  We may be duplicating the effort.

Ted

* Re: Change in splitting from emacs 22/gnus 5.11 and emacs 23/gnus 5.13?
@ 2010-01-09 12:37           ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2010-01-09 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Jan 08 2010, Ted Zlatanov wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jan 2010 10:40:37 -0800 Frank Fredstone <none@not.no> wrote:
>
> FF> Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> writes:
>>> Do you have a non-nil `nnimap-split-inbox'?
>
> FF> No. All of nnimap-split-inbox, nnmail-split-methods and
> FF> nnimap-split-rule are unset.
>
> Reiner, note Adam Sjogren and I are working on this issue in
> gnu.emacs.gnus with Frank.  We may be duplicating the effort.

We already did. :-(

Frank, please never ever post the same question to two different
groups/lists!

BTW, I read gnu.emacs.gnus as gmane.emacs.gnus.user (via leafnode),
but for some reason the thread didn't show up here (maybe some bogus
filter on my side?).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,