all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* "Set default font" on Windows doesn't take permanent effect
@ 2010-07-09  1:51 Deniz Dogan
       [not found] ` <mailman.19.1278642646.10601.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-09  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I used the menu in Emacs 23.2 (on Windows 7) to set the default font
but it doesn't seem to have any permanent effect. Nothing about the
change is stored in ~/.emacs.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

--
Deniz Dogan

* Re: "Set default font" on Windows doesn't take permanent effect
@ 2010-07-09  2:35 ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
       [not found]   ` <mailman.20.1278643503.10601.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.19.1278642646.10601.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-07-09  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> I used the menu in Emacs 23.2 (on Windows 7) to set the default font
> but it doesn't seem to have any permanent effect. Nothing about the
> change is stored in ~/.emacs.
>
> Any ideas on what might be going on?

you can try changing the font as you described then M-x customize-face
RET default RET and try saving the change, not sure if this will work
though as i dont have a windows box to test, but it should i think.

* Re: "Set default font" on Windows doesn't take permanent effect
@ 2010-07-09  2:44   ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.20.1278643503.10601.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-09  2:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: smade4; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/9 Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com>:
> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I used the menu in Emacs 23.2 (on Windows 7) to set the default font
>> but it doesn't seem to have any permanent effect. Nothing about the
>> change is stored in ~/.emacs.
>>
>> Any ideas on what might be going on?
>
> you can try changing the font as you described then M-x customize-face
> RET default RET and try saving the change, not sure if this will work
> though as i dont have a windows box to test, but it should i think.

But the "menu method" should work, so I'm just wondering if there's
something I'm doing wrong here. If this is a bug, it's a pretty
important one...

--

@ 2010-07-09  2:53     ` Jesse W. Wilson
From: Jesse W. Wilson @ 2010-07-09  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Some problem with setting the default font on Win 7 here. The next time
I open emacs, it forgets.

@ 2010-07-09  4:51       ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-09  4:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jesse W. Wilson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/9 Jesse W. Wilson <syrex314@gmail.com>:
> Some problem with setting the default font on Win 7 here. The next time I
> open emacs, it forgets.
>
> On 7/8/2010 8:44 PM, Deniz Dogan wrote:

>>> you can try changing the font as you described then M-x customize-face
>>> RET default RET and try saving the change, not sure if this will work
>>> though as i dont have a windows box to test, but it should i think.
>>>

>> But the "menu method" should work, so I'm just wondering if there's
>> something I'm doing wrong here. If this is a bug, it's a pretty
>> important one...

I'll report it as a bug and we'll see what happens.

--

@ 2010-07-09  4:56         ` Deniz Dogan
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-07-09  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jesse W. Wilson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/7/9 Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>:
> 2010/7/9 Jesse W. Wilson <syrex314@gmail.com>:
>> Some problem with setting the default font on Win 7 here. The next time I
>> open emacs, it forgets.

>>> But the "menu method" should work, so I'm just wondering if there's
>>> something I'm doing wrong here. If this is a bug, it's a pretty
>>> important one...
>>>

> I'll report it as a bug and we'll see what happens.

Gah, just as I submitted the bug report I found that you need to click
"Save Options" under the "Options" menu to make it permanent. D'oh.

--

@ 2010-07-09  5:29           ` Jesse W. Wilson
From: Jesse W. Wilson @ 2010-07-09  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Well at least the problem's solved... thanks!
-Jesse

@ 2010-07-09  5:35     ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-07-09  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/7/9 Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com>:
>> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I used the menu in Emacs 23.2 (on Windows 7) to set the default font
>>> but it doesn't seem to have any permanent effect. Nothing about the
>>> change is stored in ~/.emacs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what might be going on?
>>
>> you can try changing the font as you described then M-x customize-face
>> RET default RET and try saving the change, not sure if this will work
>> though as i dont have a windows box to test, but it should i think.
>>

> But the "menu method" should work, so I'm just wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong here. If this is a bug, it's a pretty
> important one...

I think the change shouldnt be persistent, as per design, by the menu.

@ 2010-07-09  6:56   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-07-09  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com> writes:

> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I used the menu in Emacs 23.2 (on Windows 7) to set the default font
>> but it doesn't seem to have any permanent effect. Nothing about the
>> change is stored in ~/.emacs.
>>
>> Any ideas on what might be going on?
>
> you can try changing the font as you described then M-x customize-face
> RET default RET and try saving the change, not sure if this will work
> though as i dont have a windows box to test, but it should i think.

Note that after making any changes in the options menu, you must also
save those changes to have them persist across sessions.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2010-07-09  6:58     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-07-09  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> 2010/7/9 Glauber Alex Dias Prado <smade4@gmail.com>:
>> Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I used the menu in Emacs 23.2 (on Windows 7) to set the default font
>>> but it doesn't seem to have any permanent effect. Nothing about the
>>> change is stored in ~/.emacs.
>>>
>>> Any ideas on what might be going on?
>>
>> you can try changing the font as you described then M-x customize-face
>> RET default RET and try saving the change, not sure if this will work
>> though as i dont have a windows box to test, but it should i think.
>>

> But the "menu method" should work, so I'm just wondering if there's
> something I'm doing wrong here. If this is a bug, it's a pretty
> important one...

After setting your font with the options menu, you must then select
'Save Options' from that menu to have your changes become persistent
across emacs sessions.

Tim

--

@ 2010-07-09 16:05         ` Jesse W. Wilson
From: Jesse W. Wilson @ 2010-07-09 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Deniz Dogan; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Now that I think of it, why is this menu item titled Set *Default* Font?
That implies to me it should set the font that emacs *defaults* to when
opened.

Jesse Wilson
Bartels Lab: Ultrafast and Nonlinear Optics
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
Colorado State University
jessew@engr.colostate.edu

* Re: "Set default font" on Windows doesn't take permanent effect
@ 2010-07-09 20:08           ` Glauber Alex Dias Prado
From: Glauber Alex Dias Prado @ 2010-07-09 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Jesse W. Wilson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Not exactly, you can set non default fonts also, default just means all
other will inherit from it.