all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* File local variable name containing colon?
@ 2010-08-24 15:31 Dan Davison
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-08-24 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw

This is valid elisp:

(setq var:name 'value)

But this doesn't work because the colon causes confusion:

# Local Variables:
# var:name: value
# End:

Any way round this?

Dan

* Re: File local variable name containing colon?
@ 2010-08-25  3:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13.1282765046.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-08-25  3:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Davison wrote:
> This is valid elisp:
>
> (setq var:name 'value)
>
> But this doesn't work because the colon causes confusion:
>
> # Local Variables:
> # var:name: value
> # End:
>
> Any way round this?

I would try this:

# Local Variables:
# var\:name: value
# End:

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: File local variable name containing colon?
@ 2010-08-25 19:37   ` Dan Davison
       [not found]   ` <mailman.13.1282765046.3946.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Davison @ 2010-08-25 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Dan Davison wrote:
>> This is valid elisp:
>>
>> (setq var:name 'value)
>>
>> But this doesn't work because the colon causes confusion:
>>
>> # Local Variables:
>> # var:name: value
>> # End:
>>
>> Any way round this?
>
> I would try this:
>
> # Local Variables:
> # var\:name: value
> # End:

Hi Kevin,

Yes, I did try that before posting. But it results in

File local-variables error: (end-of-file)

I also tried surrounding in double quotes "var:name", which results in
the same error.

@ 2010-08-25 21:30     ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-08-25 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dan Davison <davison@stats.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Dan Davison wrote:
>>> This is valid elisp:
>>>
>>> (setq var:name 'value)
>>>
>>> But this doesn't work because the colon causes confusion:
>>>
>>> # Local Variables:
>>> # var:name: value
>>> # End:
>>>
>>> Any way round this?
>>
>> I would try this:
>>
>> # Local Variables:
>> # var\:name: value
>> # End:
>
> Hi Kevin,
>
> Yes, I did try that before posting. But it results in
>
> File local-variables error: (end-of-file)
>
> I also tried surrounding in double quotes "var:name", which results in
> the same error.

# Local Variables:
# eval: (setq var:name value)
# End: