all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-02-26 17:15 Francis Moreau
       [not found] ` <mailman.5.1298849206.385.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-26 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm having problem to use epa while using emacs in term mode (emacs -
nw).

Specially when EPA is asking for the passphrase, a full screwed window
appears and I cannot enter any characters.

Could anybody try to see if that's a bug ?

My emacs version is : GNU Emacs 23.2.1

Thanks

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-02-27 23:26 ` Wang Lei
       [not found] ` <mailman.5.1298849206.385.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wang Lei @ 2011-02-27 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

Hi
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problem to use epa while using emacs in term mode (emacs -
> nw).
>
> Specially when EPA is asking for the passphrase, a full screwed window
> appears and I cannot enter any characters.
>
> Could anybody try to see if that's a bug ?
>
> My emacs version is : GNU Emacs 23.2.1
>

> Thanks
emacs 24.0.50.3 can't reproduce it.

--
Regards,
Lei

@ 2011-02-28 11:03   ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3.1298895441.11648.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-02-28 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

Wang Lei <f3d27b@gmail.com> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> I'm having problem to use epa while using emacs in term mode (emacs -
>> nw).
>>
>> Specially when EPA is asking for the passphrase, a full screwed window
>> appears and I cannot enter any characters.
>>
>> Could anybody try to see if that's a bug ?
>>
>> My emacs version is : GNU Emacs 23.2.1
>>

>> Thanks
> emacs 24.0.50.3 can't reproduce it.

Where I could download this version of emacs so I can give it a try ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-02-28 12:17     ` Wang Lei
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3.1298895441.11648.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Wang Lei @ 2011-02-28 12:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Wang Lei <f3d27b@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>>

>>> I'm having problem to use epa while using emacs in term mode (emacs -
>>> nw).
>>>
>>> Specially when EPA is asking for the passphrase, a full screwed window
>>> appears and I cannot enter any characters.
>>>
>>> Could anybody try to see if that's a bug ?
>>>
>>> My emacs version is : GNU Emacs 23.2.1
>>>

>>> Thanks
>> emacs 24.0.50.3 can't reproduce it.
>
> Where I could download this version of emacs so I can give it a try ?
>
> Thanks

bzr co bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk

build it yourself.

--
Regards,
Lei

@ 2011-03-01  8:10       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-01  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 28, 1:17 pm, Wang Lei <f3d...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Hi,
>
> > Wang Lei <f3d...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> emacs 24.0.50.3 can't reproduce it.
>
> > Where I could download this version of emacs so I can give it a try ?
>
> > Thanks
>
> bzr co bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
>
> build it yourself.

But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
instead of random snapshot ?

@ 2011-03-01 11:26         ` Wang Lei
From: Wang Lei @ 2011-03-01 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
> instead of random snapshot ?
>
> Thanks

I don't know. Perhaps we should hope someone can test your problem with
emacs from distribution. And give help.

--
Regards,
Lei

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-01 16:39         ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-01 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:10:00 -0800 (PST) Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

FM> On Feb 28, 1:17 pm, Wang Lei <f3d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Wang Lei <f3d...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> bzr co bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
>>
>> build it yourself.

FM> But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
FM> instead of random snapshot ?

You can list the Emacs branches ("trunk" is a branch):

bzr branches http://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs

emacs-23
emacs-23/emacs-23.2
old-branches/EMACS_21_1_RC
old-branches/EMACS_22_BASE
old-branches/EMACS_23_1_RC
trunk

I believe emacs-23 is 23.3; the others are self-explanatory.  Just
replace "trunk" in the URL above with the branch name.

Ted

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-01 17:52         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2011-03-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau wrote:

>> > Where I could download this version of emacs so I can give it a try ?

>> bzr co bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk

> But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
> instead of random snapshot ?

The quoted version number "24.0.50.3" is meaningless by itself.
It means "a bzr checkout that could come from any time in the past year".

There is no release later than 23.2 at present.

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-02 12:59           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-02 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 1, 6:52 pm, Glenn Morris <rgm+n...@stanford.edu> wrote:
> >> bzr co bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
> > But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
> > instead of random snapshot ?
>
> The quoted version number "24.0.50.3" is meaningless by itself.
> It means "a bzr checkout that could come from any time in the past year".
>
> There is no release later than 23.2 at present.

ouch, the process of release done by emacs seems really weird: 23.2 is
quite old now and I have no other option to grab a random snapshot to
get something more... uptodate.

Anyways thanks for the information.

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-02 13:00           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-02 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Ted,

On Mar 1, 5:39 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 00:10:00 -0800 (PST) Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> bzr co bzr://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/trunk
>
> >> build it yourself.
>
> FM> But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
> FM> instead of random snapshot ?
>
> You can list the Emacs branches ("trunk" is a branch):
>
> bzr brancheshttp://bzr.savannah.gnu.org/r/emacs
>
> emacs-23
> emacs-23/emacs-23.2
> old-branches/EMACS_21_1_RC
> old-branches/EMACS_22_BASE
> old-branches/EMACS_23_1_RC
> trunk
>
> I believe emacs-23 is 23.3; the others are self-explanatory.  Just
> replace "trunk" in the URL above with the branch name.

Unfortunately it doesn't work with emacs-23 so I've no other option
that try a random snapshot of emacs.

@ 2011-03-02 13:09             ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-03-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

>> > But isn't there a TAG or something to get a released version of emacs
>> > instead of random snapshot ?
>>
>> The quoted version number "24.0.50.3" is meaningless by itself.
>> It means "a bzr checkout that could come from any time in the past year".
>>
>> There is no release later than 23.2 at present.
>
> ouch, the process of release done by emacs seems really weird: 23.2 is
> quite old now and I have no other option to grab a random snapshot to
> get something more... uptodate.

heh ;) Wait til you start getting your head about what "nognus" is ...

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-03  5:52               ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-03  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 2, 2:09 pm, Richard Riley <rile...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> The quoted version number "24.0.50.3" is meaningless by itself.
> >> It means "a bzr checkout that could come from any time in the past year".
>
> >> There is no release later than 23.2 at present.
>
> > ouch, the process of release done by emacs seems really weird: 23.2 is
> > quite old now and I have no other option to grab a random snapshot to
> > get something more... uptodate.
>
> heh ;) Wait til you start getting your head about what "nognus" is ...

yeah, gnus uses the same model (but it has the good idea to use
gnus ;) I think.

But gnus has probably the excuse to follow the emacs model since it's
a emacs' module.

Bye

@ 2011-03-05 15:17   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-05 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Feb 28, 12:26 am, Wang Lei <f3d...@gmail.com> wrote:

> emacs 24.0.50.3 can't reproduce it.

I finally gave it a try and it still fails.

I first thought that the issue may had been related to my .emacs
config but starting emacs with '-Q --no-desktop' still has the
problem.

I also tried with emacs with and without X support but both have the
issue.

When trying to open the encrypted document, I have the following
message in my mini buffer:

/home/fmoreau/Documents: 0% (0/787)

and it seems that it's waiting to me for entering my passphrase.

And in the terminal where I started emacs, I have this message that
appears:

+-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
+| You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for user: ...

but I cannot enter anything since the prompt looks broken.

Also I noticed that theres is the pinentry-ncurses running.

So the question is why does emacs uses pinentry-ncurses at all ? why
doesn't it use the mini buffer for entering my passphrase ?

Thanks

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-05 16:14     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.13.1299341671.13665.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                       ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-03-05 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.03.2011 um 16:17 schrieb Francis Moreau:

> why doesn't it use the mini buffer for entering my passphrase ?

Because it's safe (no undo here) and your input is not echoed, i.e.,
it is invisible.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Know thyself. Need help, call GOOGLE.

@ 2011-03-05 16:53       ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-05 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 5, 5:14 pm, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> wrote:
> Am 05.03.2011 um 16:17 schrieb Francis Moreau:
>
> > why doesn't it use the mini buffer for entering my passphrase ?
>
> Because it's safe (no undo here) and your input is not echoed, i.e.,
> it is invisible.

Safe ?

That looks totaly boggus the way it currently is.

First, looking at the prompt, input not echoed just make me think that
something is broken.

But what happens if I start emacs in the background ? or if emacs is
started from an application launcher with no stdin or stdout ?

Please give me a way to enter my passphrase as I always did, that is
from the mini buffer, even if it's unsafe from the point of view of
paranoids !

@ 2011-03-05 17:47         ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-03-05 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 05.03.2011 um 17:53 schrieb Francis Moreau:

> Please give me a way to enter my passphrase as I always did, that is
> from the mini buffer, even if it's unsafe from the point of view of
> paranoids !

Sorry! I misunderstood your previous message! Actually I think the
same as you: The mini-buffer is good enough to enter passwords or pass-
phrases.

--
Greetings

   Pete

If builders built buildings the way programmers write programs, then
the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization.
				– Weinberg's Second Law

@ 2011-03-05 18:27     ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9.1299349688.24947.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-03-05 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I finally gave it a try and it still fails.
>
> I first thought that the issue may had been related to my .emacs
> config but starting emacs with '-Q --no-desktop' still has the
> problem.
Your problem is not related to emacs but to your gpg config.

> Also I noticed that theres is the pinentry-ncurses running.
So gpg is looking for a shell for entering password in a ncurse prompt.
Set pinentry to a gtk widget or use a gpg version 1 or maybe just
uninstall pinentry.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

@ 2011-03-05 20:46       ` Francis Moreau
       [not found]         ` <mailman.23.1299362724.24947.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-05 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 5, 7:27 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > I finally gave it a try and it still fails.
>
> > I first thought that the issue may had been related to my .emacs
> > config but starting emacs with '-Q --no-desktop' still has the
> > problem.
>
> Your problem is not related to emacs but to your gpg config.

Well my gpg setup is working fine outside emacs.

If emacs wants to use gpg-agent but have no idea how to communicate
with it properly, I think it's an emacs issue.

> > Also I noticed that theres is the pinentry-ncurses running.
>
> So gpg is looking for a shell for entering password in a ncurse prompt.
> Set pinentry to a gtk widget or use a gpg version 1 or maybe just
> uninstall pinentry.

I'm already using gpg version 1.

Here's how gpg is called when trying to open an encrypted file from
emacs:

gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --use-agent --enable-progress-filter
--command-fd 0 --output /tmp/epg-output30120q_p --decrypt -- /home/
fmoreau/Documents/foo.gpg

so it wants to use the gpg-agent.

Is there anyways to avoid this. I just prefer type my passphrase every
time it's needed instead of having a broken interface which drivers me
crazy.

@ 2011-03-05 22:05         ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found]         ` <mailman.23.1299362724.24947.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2011-03-05 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 5, 7:27 pm, Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I finally gave it a try and it still fails.
>>
>> > I first thought that the issue may had been related to my .emacs
>> > config but starting emacs with '-Q --no-desktop' still has the
>> > problem.
>>
>> Your problem is not related to emacs but to your gpg config.
>>

> Well my gpg setup is working fine outside emacs.
>
> If emacs wants to use gpg-agent but have no idea how to communicate
> with it properly, I think it's an emacs issue.
>

>> > Also I noticed that theres is the pinentry-ncurses running.
>>
>> So gpg is looking for a shell for entering password in a ncurse prompt.
>> Set pinentry to a gtk widget or use a gpg version 1 or maybe just
>> uninstall pinentry.
>
> I'm already using gpg version 1.
>
> Here's how gpg is called when trying to open an encrypted file from
> emacs:
>
> gpg --no-tty --status-fd 1 --yes --use-agent --enable-progress-filter
> --command-fd 0 --output /tmp/epg-output30120q_p --decrypt -- /home/
> fmoreau/Documents/foo.gpg
>
> so it wants to use the gpg-agent.
>
> Is there anyways to avoid this. I just prefer type my passphrase every
> time it's needed instead of having a broken interface which drivers me
> crazy.
>
> Thanks
Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.

--
A+ Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:

@ 2011-03-06 18:53           ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-06 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

>> Is there anyways to avoid this. I just prefer type my passphrase every
>> time it's needed instead of having a broken interface which drivers me
>> crazy.

juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.

> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.

No way !

I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !

--
Francis

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-07 18:26             ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2011-03-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:53:07 +0100 Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

FM> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
FM> juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.
>> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.
FM> I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !

You can set GPG_AGENT_INFO=none before running Emacs.  That will disable
the external pop-up prompting.

Ted

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-08 19:26             ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-08 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
>
> [...]
>

>>> Is there anyways to avoid this. I just prefer type my passphrase every
>>> time it's needed instead of having a broken interface which drivers me
>>> crazy.
>
> juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.
>
>> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.
>
> No way !
>
> I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !

I agree with you.  The solution I use is to have the following in my
emacs initialisation:

(require 'epa)
(if (not window-system)
    (setenv "GPG_AGENT_INFO" nil)) ;to avoid graphical pop-up when on tty

this will cause emacs to use the mini-buffer for passphrase input so it
solves one problems; unfortunately, it means that the passphrase is not
cached (i.e. by gpg-agent) so you may have to type it repeatedly.  so
it's not a complete solution...

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-09  7:08               ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-09  7:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

On Mar 8, 8:26 pm, Eric S Fraga <e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > [...]
>
> > juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.
>
> >> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.
>
> > No way !
>
> > I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !
>
> I agree with you.  The solution I use is to have the following in my
> emacs initialisation:

> (require 'epa)
> (if (not window-system)
>     (setenv "GPG_AGENT_INFO" nil)) ;to avoid graphical pop-up when on tty
>
> this will cause emacs to use the mini-buffer for passphrase input so it
> solves one problems; unfortunately, it means that the passphrase is not
> cached (i.e. by gpg-agent) so you may have to type it repeatedly.  so
> it's not a complete solution...

Thanks for the hint.

For now I don't open encrypted files with emacs, so it's not a big
issue to type my passphrase every now and then.

BTW, I'm wondering if gnus has the same issue, I'll have to check.

@ 2011-03-09  7:09               ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-09  7:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 7, 7:26 pm, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:53:07 +0100 Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> FM> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com> writes:>> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> FM> juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.>> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.
>
> FM> I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !
>
> You can set GPG_AGENT_INFO=none before running Emacs.  That will disable
> the external pop-up prompting.

Thanks Ted for the hint.

* Re: EasyPG Assistant and emacs -nw
@ 2011-03-09  7:43               ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2011-03-09  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mar 8, 8:26 pm, Eric S Fraga <e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpia...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> Francis Moreau <francis.m...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > [...]
>
> > juste to clarify, I just prefer type my passphrase in emacs.
>
> >> Try to turn off gpg-agent and uninstall pinentry.
>
> > No way !
>
> > I'm not going to uninstall gpg-agent because emacs is broken !
>
> I agree with you.  The solution I use is to have the following in my
> emacs initialisation:

> (require 'epa)
> (if (not window-system)
>     (setenv "GPG_AGENT_INFO" nil)) ;to avoid graphical pop-up when on tty
>
> this will cause emacs to use the mini-buffer for passphrase input so it
> solves one problems; unfortunately, it means that the passphrase is not
> cached (i.e. by gpg-agent) so you may have to type it repeatedly.  so
> it's not a complete solution...

BTW, you could improve this a little perhaps by setting the pinentry
program to the gtk version (pinentry-gtk) if it's installed and if
it's not then disabling the use of gpg-agent with the environment
variable like you did.

@ 2011-03-09 10:11                 ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2011-03-09 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mar 8, 8:26 pm, Eric S Fraga <e.fr...@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

[...]

>> I agree with you.  The solution I use is to have the following in my
>> emacs initialisation:

>> (require 'epa)
>> (if (not window-system)
>>     (setenv "GPG_AGENT_INFO" nil)) ;to avoid graphical pop-up when on tty
>>
>> this will cause emacs to use the mini-buffer for passphrase input so it
>> solves one problems; unfortunately, it means that the passphrase is not
>> cached (i.e. by gpg-agent) so you may have to type it repeatedly.  so
>> it's not a complete solution...
>
> BTW, you could improve this a little perhaps by setting the pinentry
> program to the gtk version (pinentry-gtk) if it's installed and if
> it's not then disabling the use of gpg-agent with the environment
> variable like you did.
>
> Thanks

Thanks.  I actually do have pinentry installed and I use it all the
time.  the problem arises when I connect to my desktop *remotely* using
ssh without X (e.g. from a phone or somebody else's computer with putty,
say): the agent is running and, if the passphrase has expired, the agent
will prompt for the passphrase again using the pop-up dialog.
Unfortunately, from my ssh connection, I cannot obviously see that
dialog that has appeared on my desktop!

Anyway, I have a solution that works although it is not elegant.  Fixing
it would require gpg-agent to be much smarter about who is asking for
permission and under what conditions.  Not impossible, I guess, but it's
not necessarily emacs's fault.

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.0.50.1 + No Gnus v0.14