all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Get file info in emacs
@ 2011-03-27 13:32 Pedro Costa
From: Pedro Costa @ 2011-03-27 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've opened a file in emacs and I've worked on it and saved it. But,
suddenly I forgot in which directory the file is. How can I see the
directory where the opened file is in emacs? I don't want to use the
bash to get this information.

Thanks

--
Pedro

* Re: Get file info in emacs
       [not found] <mailman.0.1301232737.13811.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-03-27 13:37 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-03-27 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com> writes:
> I've opened a file in emacs and I've worked on it and saved it. But,
> suddenly I forgot in which directory the file is. How can I see the
> directory where the opened file is in emacs? I don't want to use the
> bash to get this information.

C-x C-f in the file buffer will show you the directory in the
minibuffer.

* Re: Get file info in emacs
@ 2011-03-27 15:23 ` Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz @ 2011-03-27 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Mar 27 2011, Pedro Costa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've opened a file in emacs and I've worked on it and saved it. But,
> suddenly I forgot in which directory the file is. How can I see the
> directory where the opened file is in emacs? I don't want to use the
> bash to get this information.

M-x pwd

HTH,
jao
--
Lower your voice and strengthen your argument. -Lebanese proverb

* Re: Get file info in emacs
@ 2011-03-27 15:38   ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2011-03-27 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Pedro Costa <psdc1978@gmail.com> writes:
>> I've opened a file in emacs and I've worked on it and saved it. But,
>> suddenly I forgot in which directory the file is. How can I see the
>> directory where the opened file is in emacs? I don't want to use the
>> bash to get this information.
>
> C-x C-f in the file buffer will show you the directory in the
> minibuffer.

Also, if you use the menu bar, turning on this variable:

buffers-menu-show-directories is a variable defined in `menu-bar.el'.
Its value is t

will shown directory of associated files in the buffer list.

@ 2011-03-27 17:02 ` Evans Winner
From: Evans Winner @ 2011-03-27 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

,------ Pedro Costa wrote ------
|    I've opened a file in emacs and I've worked on it and
|    saved it. But, suddenly I forgot in which directory the
|    file is. How can I see the directory where the opened
|    file is in emacs? I don't want to use the bash to get
|    this information.

When the buffer of the file in question is the current
buffer, do M-x pwd RET.

All this does is show the local value of the variable
`default-directory'.