all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ibus-mode under Emacs 24
@ 2011-10-08  4:31 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-10-08  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently compiled git Emacs on Ubuntu and am loving it -- everything's
very noticeably snappier. My setup transferred over flawlessly, except
for one thing.

Ibus-mode[1], which allows emacs to use the system-wide ibus input
method under Ubuntu, now fails with an odd error. I'd like to help get
this mode working under emacs 24, so I'm trying to understand as much
about it as possible.

The error is "Hex character out of range: \\x2000000", and it's
triggered by this bit of code in ibus.el:

(if (and (null keybind)
		 (integerp event)
		 (memq 'shift (event-modifiers event)))
	    ;; Reset the 25th bit corresponding to the shift key
	    (setq event (logand event (lognot ?\x2000000))
		  keybind (key-binding (vector event))))

I have no idea what this does, and suspect I never will, but I'm
wondering if anyone out there can tell me -- is this an easy error to
fix? Does this hex value somehow "correspond to the shift key" in a
different way under emacs 24?

Anyway, any light that could be shed on this would be received
gratefully.

Thanks,
Eric

[1]: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/IBusMode

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.4)
 of 2011-10-06 on pellet

* Re: ibus-mode under Emacs 24
       [not found] <mailman.5576.1318048343.939.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-10-11  4:07 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-10-11  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> The error is "Hex character out of range: \\x2000000", and it's
> triggered by this bit of code in ibus.el:

> (if (and (null keybind)
> 		 (integerp event)
> 		 (memq 'shift (event-modifiers event)))
> 	    ;; Reset the 25th bit corresponding to the shift key
> 	    (setq event (logand event (lognot ?\x2000000))
> 		  keybind (key-binding (vector event))))

> I have no idea what this does, and suspect I never will, but I'm
> wondering if anyone out there can tell me -- is this an easy error to
> fix? Does this hex value somehow "correspond to the shift key" in a
> different way under emacs 24?

When you encounter such problems in unreleased software, please report
it to the developers so they get a chance to fix it before the release.

I.e. do M-x report-emacs-bug RET.

> Anyway, any light that could be shed on this would be received
> gratefully.

You can use #x2000000 instead of ?\x2000000 to work around the problem
until it gets solved.