all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Upgrading suggestions
@ 2011-10-04 17:28 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2011-10-04 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs List

I thought I would toss out this question to this group.

Over time, hacks and tweaks that I've added to my emacs init files get incorporated into the official release (usually with a much better implementation).  I assume I'm not unique in this area.

How do others, when moving up to a new level of emacs, deal with this?  How do you (or perhaps you don't bother) find the things that have moved into the production version and start using those versions rather than the old version that you have.  e.g. ruby mode is now part of the distribution.  There are countless examples of this.

The biggest example I have is all of the "customize" features.  I still have old lisp code that is setting things up using old setq's instead of the new customized stuff.  That seems to work ok but sorta bothers me.

Thanks,
pedz