Perry Wagle writes: [...] >> So you want to search the word at point, right? Try C-s C-w. If you >> need more, just press C-w more. > > No, I have something in my mouse-2 paste buffer, one way or another. Hmm, Emacs does have some problems with X primary selection. > Also, I can double mouse-1 anywhere in a word. Emacs wants me to be > more precise, by going to the beginning. If you don't mind writing some Elisp, it's easy. After all there's built-in M-h, you can refer to that. > The mouse is not a precise instrument. Rather, its a fast one, used > properly. You're right, but how do you define "properly"? I believe that's not my way of moving and clicking, it should be what I use it for. [...] >> I suggest throwing away your mouse. > > I suggest learning to use your mouse effectively with a real GUI. > Then come back and make more refined suggestions. I won't bother to learn more about mouse using, but here's the more refined suggestion: In GNU Emacs, use keyboard more, mouse less. As for me, I use mouse to drag the windows for resizing and moving, and when it's sometimes confused by the primary selection. If you're very annoyed when dealing X primary selection, you can write some Elisp to insert the primary selection at point, perhaps with an external tool like `xsel'. >> Some hints: Use isearch extensively. Jump to somewhere with C-s (or >> C-r), and after you finished your edits there, jump back with C-u C-SPC >> --- you may press it more if it failed. > > As I said above, the stuff gets into my mouse-2 paste buffer in a number of > ways. I make no sense of the above. It doesn't apply. Sorry, I have the prejudice that one who uses mouse a lot will use mouse to move around in the buffer. If you don't do that, please ignore these. >>> Apparently, I'm going to have to do this myself, unless someone else >>> sees my light this time. What's the best way to do it? I have the >>> feeling I'm fighting the foundations of emacs to try to funnel mouse >>> button events into the minibuffer. If you're interested in mouse in Emacs, you can help extending it. In this case, you don't need to hack the core of Emacs yet. >>> Thanks for whatever help, hints, and guidance you can give me! > > With a little help from #emacs, I got isearch.el to do what I want, by > telling it to NOT abort itself if mouse-2 is pressed outside the > minibuffer. But now it drags the highlighted region all over the > place when I keep pressing control s. Don't know about this, since I don't know what you did exactly. -- Carl Lei (XeCycle) Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University OpenPGP public key: 7795E591 Fingerprint: 1FB6 7F1F D45D F681 C845 27F7 8D71 8EC4 7795 E591