all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: Forwarding mails: include attachments, blank To:, point position?
@ 2011-11-26 19:26 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-26 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

I figured out that with "F" (or "f") I can forward an email. There are three things which I wonder about:

1) Why are attachments not included in forwarded emails (at least I do not see them as attachments)? How can I automagically include attachments?
The reason is simple: It is easy to delete the attachments in case they are unwanted, but it's more work to attach them (which is often what I want when forwarding emails).

2) The forwarded email contains the original sender as "To:". Since this is almost never the person you want to forward the message to (otherwise one would have chosen a reply instead), one always has to delete this address first. Is it possible to have a blank field "To:" as default in forwarded emails?

3) A forwarded mail (but also a reply) in which the original email text is included, looks like this:
--text follows this line--
Sender Name <sender.email@foo.bar> writes:

(*)> Hi, I just wanted to write to you because ...

> Regards
>
> John

The point, by default, is at (*). Is it possible to have the point in the beginning of the line after "--text follows this line--", then a newline, then "Sender Name..."? Because either you want to just answer the whole mail (for which this position would be perfect) or you want to answer a specific part (for which you would have to move the point anyway). But having the point where it is by default is not ideal for any of these situations.

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: Gnus: Forwarding mails: include attachments, blank To:, point position?
@ 2011-11-27 10:30 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-11-27 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> I figured out that with "F" (or "f") I can forward an email.

`F' and `f' don't forward, they follow up.  Forwarding is `C-c C-f'.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: Gnus: Forwarding mails: include attachments, blank To:, point position?
@ 2011-11-27 13:35   ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-11-27 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:
>
>> I figured out that with "F" (or "f") I can forward an email.
>
> `F' and `f' don't forward, they follow up.  Forwarding is `C-c C-f'.

I have always used 'S-w' or 'S-W' for replying [1], but 'f' and 'F' seems to be
identical. The former is under 'mail commands' [2] and the latter under
'post commands' [3] in the documentation. As I do not use usenet groups
for other than reading, I haven't bothered about learning the subtleties
of posting, but as both mail and news are treated the same in gnus, *why
are there different commands available for mail and news*?

EDIT:

Some further reading gives that Message can use different functions for
replying and posting. The defaults are nil, so presumably this implies
identical behaviour for mailing and posting?

,----[ C-h v message-followup-to-function RET ]

`----

,----[ C-h v message-reply-to-function RET ]
| message-reply-to-function is a variable defined in `message.el'.
| Its value is nil
|
| Documentation:
| If non-nil, function that should return a list of headers.
| This function should pick out addresses from the To, Cc, and From headers
| and respond with new To and Cc headers.
`----

I also found the following note on the 'mail-followup-to' header useful
as an introduction (for anyone else who have not bothered about this)
http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-drums-mail-followup-to-00.txt

Footnotes:
[1]  (info "(message)Wide Reply")
[2]  (info "(gnus)Summary Mail Commands")
[3]  (info "(gnus)Summary Post Commands")

--
Johnny

* Re: Gnus: Forwarding mails: include attachments, blank To:, point position?
@ 2011-11-27 23:45 ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-11-27 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I think what you're looking for is not followup ( [f] ), but forward:

,----[ C-h k C-c C-f ]
| C-c C-f runs the command gnus-summary-mail-forward, which is an interactive
| compiled Lisp function in `gnus-msg.el'.
|
| It is bound to C-c C-f, S o m, <menu-bar> <Post> <Mail forward>.
|
| (gnus-summary-mail-forward &optional ARG POST)
|
| Forward the current message(s) to another user.
| If process marks exist, forward all marked messages;
| if ARG is nil, see `message-forward-as-mime' and `message-forward-show-mml';
| if ARG is 1, decode the message and forward directly inline;
| if ARG is 2, forward message as an rfc822 MIME section;
| if ARG is 3, decode message and forward as an rfc822 MIME section;
| if ARG is 4, forward message directly inline;
| otherwise, use flipped `message-forward-as-mime'.
| If POST, post instead of mail.
| For the "inline" alternatives, also see the variable
| `message-forward-ignored-headers'.
|
| [back]
`----

hth,