On Fri, 02 Dec 2011 15:32:25 -0500 Stefan Monnier wrote: >> I'd like to rename `cfengine-mode' to `cfengine2-mode', and >> `cfengine-auto-mode' to `cfengine-mode' (`cfengine-auto-mode' loads >> `cfengine3-mode' if it thinks a cfengine v.3 file is edited). SM> That sounds right. Thanks for looking. Attached is a patch that will: 1) rename `cfengine-mode' to `cfengine2-mode' and defalias 'cfengine-mode to 'cfengine-auto-mode. Provide 'cfengine2. 2) rename all the "cfengine-*" variables used only by `cfengine2-mode' to "cfengine2-*" 3) adjust the commentary to match 4) give a version and set it to 1.1 for this release 5) use "CFEngine" consistently, capitalized as the author, Mark Burgess, does 6) add `cfengine3-mode-verbose' to control some debugging info 7) add `cfengine3-parameters-indent' to address some shortcomings in indentation. This is a new feature but necessary to fix the lack of a hanging indent in the current `cfengine3-mode'. It's very low-risk and I hope it's acceptable. 8) improve and capitalize comments in many places, though that work is not complete 9) change the "lighter" modeline indicators from "Cfengine[23]" to "CFE[23]" to take less space I also have a font-lock issue I can't figure out with the current version. Given the following code (use `cfengine3-mode' to see the problem): #+begin_src cfengine3 body common control { bundlesequence => { "g", "cfrun", "rcfiles", "packages", "packages_push" }; inputs => { "cfengine_stdlib.cf" }; } bundle common g { } #+end_src These are two defuns as far as `cfengine3-mode' is concerned. The "bundle common g" line is supposed to be font-locked and it is, sometimes. For instance it's not font-locked in a text buffer where you've just run `cfengine3-mode', but if you remove the blank line between the two defuns, it gets font-locked. Then if I do more editing it keeps flip-flopping between font-locked and undecorated. I've spend many hours looking for the cause of this issue and I hope you or someone else will spot it more easily, or tell me how to debug it better. I have a feeling it's due to the defun motion commands but I'm not sure. >> Another approach is to rename `cfengine-mode' to `cfengine2-mode' and >> `cfengine3-mode' to `cfengine-mode', effectively making v.2 support less >> important. **I like this approach better** because cfengine v.2 is >> disappearing quickly, but it would break backwards compatibility so I >> proposed it second. SM> We can consider it for 24.2, OK. Ted