all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sudo and tramp ask for password twice
@ 2012-05-06  4:33 Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-05-06  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there,

I'm using tramp in emacs24, and have a small question about sudo. First
of all, I'm using ido-everywhere, so when I want to open a file I hit
"C-x C-f", then two forward slashes to get to the filesystem root.

Then it's "sudo:". At this point ido gives me three choices:

Find file: /sudo:{ . | localhost: | root@}

Going through "root@" just leads another "localhost", so there doesn't
seem to be any difference there. Is there? I suppose that's what I'd use
if I wanted to access files as a different user altogether.

So I choose localhost, then go for the file I want. Tramp asks me for my
password once when I choose localhost, and then again the next time it
needs to touch the filesystem (since I'm using ido, that means the first
time it starts completing filepaths).

Is there any way I can have it ask just once? Am I using it incorrectly?

Relevant settings:

(ido-auto-merge-delay-time 1)
(ido-auto-merge-work-directories-length 0)
(ido-create-new-buffer (quote always))
(ido-enable-flex-matching t)
(ido-everywhere t)
(ido-file-extensions-order (quote (".org" ".py" ".el" ".html" ".org_archive")))
(ido-ignore-buffers (quote ("\\` " "/ssh")))
(ido-max-work-directory-list 10)
(ido-mode (quote both) nil (ido))
(ido-read-file-name-non-ido (quote (mm-save-part)))
(ido-record-ftp-work-directories nil)
(ido-show-dot-for-dired t)
(ido-use-filename-at-point (quote guess))
(ido-use-url-at-point nil)
(ido-use-virtual-buffers nil)
(ido-work-directory-list-ignore-regexps (quote ("/sudo:" "/scp")))
(mingus-use-ido-mode-p t)
(org-completion-use-ido t)
(tramp-default-method "scp")

Thanks!

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.1.50.3 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-05-01 on pellet

* Re: sudo and tramp ask for password twice
@ 2012-05-06  4:49 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2012-05-06  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi there,
>
> I'm using tramp in emacs24, and have a small question about sudo. First
> of all, I'm using ido-everywhere, so when I want to open a file I hit
> "C-x C-f", then two forward slashes to get to the filesystem root.
>
> Then it's "sudo:". At this point ido gives me three choices:
>
> Find file: /sudo:{ . | localhost: | root@}
>
> Going through "root@" just leads another "localhost", so there doesn't
> seem to be any difference there. Is there? I suppose that's what I'd use
> if I wanted to access files as a different user altogether.
>
> So I choose localhost, then go for the file I want. Tramp asks me for my
> password once when I choose localhost, and then again the next time it
> needs to touch the filesystem (since I'm using ido, that means the first
> time it starts completing filepaths).

Don't know about the rest of your questions, but isn't sudo
method supposed to be used like `/sudo::/etc/conf'?

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: sudo and tramp ask for password twice
@ 2012-05-06  6:21   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-05-06  6:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 06 2012, XeCycle wrote:

>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm using tramp in emacs24, and have a small question about sudo. First
>> of all, I'm using ido-everywhere, so when I want to open a file I hit
>> "C-x C-f", then two forward slashes to get to the filesystem root.
>>
>> Then it's "sudo:". At this point ido gives me three choices:
>>
>> Find file: /sudo:{ . | localhost: | root@}
>>
>> Going through "root@" just leads another "localhost", so there doesn't
>> seem to be any difference there. Is there? I suppose that's what I'd use
>> if I wanted to access files as a different user altogether.
>>
>> So I choose localhost, then go for the file I want. Tramp asks me for my
>> password once when I choose localhost, and then again the next time it
>> needs to touch the filesystem (since I'm using ido, that means the first
>> time it starts completing filepaths).
>
> Don't know about the rest of your questions, but isn't sudo
> method supposed to be used like `/sudo::/etc/conf'?

Ha, I guess you're right. When I type /sudo:: at the prompt, ido tells
me the next completion is "localhost:", but if I ignore that and just
enter my path, it works fine -- only one password prompt.

I guess I thought ido was showing me something important about tramp
internals, something I didn't know before, but maybe it wasn't really
that helpful…

Thanks!

--

@ 2012-05-06 11:06   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-05-06 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: XeCycle; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:

> Don't know about the rest of your questions, but isn't sudo
> method supposed to be used like `/sudo::/etc/conf'?

"/sudo::" is an aabreviation for "/sudo:localhost:" is an abbreviation
for "/sudo:root@localhost:".

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: sudo and tramp ask for password twice
@ 2012-05-06 11:10 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2012-05-06 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi there,

Hi Eric,

> So I choose localhost, then go for the file I want. Tramp asks me for my
> password once when I choose localhost, and then again the next time it
> needs to touch the filesystem (since I'm using ido, that means the first
> time it starts completing filepaths).
>
> Is there any way I can have it ask just once? Am I using it incorrectly?

Set password-cache-expiry to nil:

+----- C-h v password-cache-expiry ------------------------------------

| password-cache-expiry is a variable defined in `password-cache.el'.
| Its value is nil
| Original value was 16
|
| Documentation:
| How many seconds passwords are cached, or nil to disable expiring.
| Whether passwords are cached at all is controlled by `password-cache'.

> Thanks!
>
> Eric

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: sudo and tramp ask for password twice
@ 2012-05-07  1:40     ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2012-05-07  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 06 2012, Michael Albinus wrote:

> XeCycle <XeCycle@Gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Don't know about the rest of your questions, but isn't sudo
>> method supposed to be used like `/sudo::/etc/conf'?
>
> "/sudo::" is an aabreviation for "/sudo:localhost:" is an abbreviation
> for "/sudo:root@localhost:".

This cleared up most of my confusions right here. Thanks!