all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Oleksandr Gavenko <gavenkoa@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Compilation of Emacs trunk (24) too slow.
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 21:43:56 +0200	[thread overview]

On 2012-12-18, Yagnesh Raghava Yakkala wrote:

> On 12月 19 2012, Oleksandr Gavenko wrote:
>
>> It takes about 10 min for processing lines likes:
>>
>>   Reloading stale files.el
>>   Reloading stale loaddefs.el
>>
>> which printed many times (on "make" command in out of source build).
>> loaddefs.el is about 1.2 MiB files.el is about 300 KiB.
>>
>> So my Emacs build with -j2 still not complete for second evening after job...
>>
>> Am I anything missing in current Emacs design?
>
> Just built with "make -j2"  on Gnu/linux
>
> ,----[emacs-24 branch]
> | real	7m24.100s
> | user	11m54.270s
> | sys	1m24.510s
> `----
>
> ,----[trunk]
> | real	8m5.704s
> | user	12m9.180s
> | sys	1m26.470s
> `----

Ok, I get it.

I configure with:

  opt='--enable-checking=all --enable-autodepend --enable-dependency-tracking'

I don't check which of this option make Emacs (temacs or how it called during
build) tooooo slow.

I think that this is a '--enable-checking=all' but don't try. Just disable all
of them. Am I right?

From 'configure':

  --enable-dependency-tracking   do not reject slow dependency extractors

  --enable-checking[=LIST]
                          enable expensive run-time checks. With LIST, enable
                          only specific categories of checks. Categories are:
                          all,yes,no. Flags are: stringbytes, stringoverrun,
                          stringfreelist, xmallocoverrun, conslist, glyphs

--
Best regards!