all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-15 17:26 Haroogan
From: Haroogan @ 2013-06-15 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I've extended emacs-lisp-mode with my elisp-mode in order to provide
more syntax highlighting. Relevant excerpt:

(define-derived-mode elisp-mode
   emacs-lisp-mode
   "?L"
   "A major mode for Emacs Lisp.
\\{elisp-mode-keymap}"
   (set 'font-lock-defaults '((elisp-mode-font-lock-keywords)))
   (set-syntax-table elisp-mode-syntax-table)
   (use-local-map elisp-mode-keymap)
   (run-hooks 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook); Tried `run-mode-hooks` as well...
   (run-mode-hooks 'elisp-mode-hook))

(provide 'elisp)

Then I have:

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup)

And of course:

(require 'elisp)

(add-to-list
  'auto-mode-alist
  '("\\.el" . elisp-mode))

Now the problem is that auto-completion doesn't work in elisp-mode.
I have no clue why.
As soon as I disable elisp-mode and return to the emacs-lisp-mode it
works just fine.
I've also tried:

(add-hook 'elisp-mode-hook 'ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup)

and without luck...

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 17:43 ` Haroogan
From: Haroogan @ 2013-06-23 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello? Am I in the list? If yes, then could anyone experienced please
look into my issue? Thanks.

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 18:29   ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-23 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haroogan <haroogan@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello? Am I in the list? If yes, then could anyone experienced please
> look into my issue? Thanks.

Ok, I just installed `auto-complete' from Melpa and had a quick look.

Here, there is no function named `ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup'.  If I just
call `auto-complete-mode', like this:

| (require 'auto-complete)
|
| (add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'auto-complete-mode)

it seems to work.  Does this work for you?

Michael.

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 21:26     ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-06-23 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Haroogan <haroogan@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello? Am I in the list? If yes, then could anyone experienced please
>> look into my issue? Thanks.
>
> Ok, I just installed `auto-complete' from Melpa and had a quick look.
>
> Here, there is no function named `ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup'.

This function is defined in `auto-complete-config.el`. It sets up
completion sources.

Maybe the OP should (require 'auto-complete-config).

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 22:10       ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-23 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitry Gutov <dgutov@yandex.ru> writes:

> This function is defined in `auto-complete-config.el`. It sets up
> completion sources.
>
> Maybe the OP should (require 'auto-complete-config).

Good hint.  If I do that, and create a new buffer, enter `elisp-mode'
(with the parts of code referencing to variables that the OP didn't send
along skipped), I see that the function `ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup' has
been called, i.e., `ac-sources' has been set.

If I then turn on auto-complete-mode, it seems to work as intended.

Michael.

Michael.

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 22:31         ` Haroogan
From: Haroogan @ 2013-06-23 22:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Good hint.  If I do that, and create a new buffer, enter `elisp-mode'
> (with the parts of code referencing to variables that the OP didn't send
> along skipped), I see that the function `ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup' has
> been called, i.e., `ac-sources' has been set.
>
> If I then turn on auto-complete-mode, it seems to work as intended.
If I open some *.el file, I automatically enter my elisp-mode as shown
in my first mail. But as I said auto-completion does not work even
though the hook should turn it on. However, I've just tried your
suggestion, i.e. after opening some *.el file, I type:

[M-x] auto-complete-mode

then auto-completion starts to work. Why is that? I mean in the
configurations I already have:

(global-auto-complete-mode t)

Why should I turn on auto-completion manually like that for my
elisp-mode, but I don't have to do anything for the standard
emacs-lisp-mode?

Thanks,
Haroogan

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 22:55           ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-23 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haroogan <haroogan@gmail.com> writes:

> > Good hint.  If I do that, and create a new buffer, enter `elisp-mode'
> > (with the parts of code referencing to variables that the OP didn't send
> > along skipped), I see that the function `ac-emacs-lisp-mode-setup' has
> > been called, i.e., `ac-sources' has been set.
> >
> > If I then turn on auto-complete-mode, it seems to work as intended.
> If I open some *.el file, I automatically enter my elisp-mode as shown
> in my first mail. But as I said auto-completion does not work even
> though the hook should turn it on. However, I've just tried your
> suggestion, i.e. after opening some *.el file, I type:
>
> [M-x] auto-complete-mode
>
> then auto-completion starts to work.

So we are making some progress!

> Why is that? I mean in the
> configurations I already have:
>
> (global-auto-complete-mode t)
>
> Why should I turn on auto-completion manually like that for my
> elisp-mode, but I don't have to do anything for the standard
> emacs-lisp-mode?

Have a look at the definitions of `global-auto-complete-mode' and
`auto-complete-mode-maybe'.  Summary: you have to push your mode
variable into the variable `ac-modes' to make
`global-auto-complete-mode' turn on the thingy for your mode.

BTW, I wonder why you decided to derive an own mode, instead of simply
customize emacs-lisp-mode.  I mean, there is `font-lock-add-keywords'
and such stuff, which allows to modify the existing mode.  Using an own
mode sometimes has inconveniences - like the problem you described.

Michael.

* Re: Extending 'emacs-lisp-mode' Disables 'auto-complete' for It
@ 2013-06-23 23:13             ` Haroogan
From: Haroogan @ 2013-06-23 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> BTW, I wonder why you decided to derive an own mode, instead of simply
> customize emacs-lisp-mode. I mean, there is `font-lock-add-keywords'
> and such stuff, which allows to modify the existing mode. Using an own
> mode sometimes has inconveniences - like the problem you described.
> Michael.
Good point. Didn't know that I can do it. I'm not that pro in Emacs yet,
so I'm not sure whether it is possible to extend all those features that
I've added through derivation. I'm adding my elisp-mode as attachment,
please, take a look if you have time. Can I, for example, extend
emacs-lisp-mode with some keywords without derivation?

[-- Attachment #2: elisp.el --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 32184 bytes --]

;; Copyright (C) 2013, Alexander Shukaev. All rights reserved.

;; This program is free software: you can redistribute it and/or modify it
;; under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free
;; Software Foundation, either version 3 of the License, or (at your option)
;; any later version.

;; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT
;; ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or
;; FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for
;; more details.

;; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with
;; this program. If not, see <http://www.gnu.org/licenses/>.

(defvar elisp-mode-hook
  nil
  "Common hook for `elisp-mode'")

(defvar elisp-mode-emacs-keywords
  nil
  "A list of keywords related to Emacs")

(set 'elisp-mode-emacs-keywords
     '("add-hook"
       "autoload"
       "backward-char"
       "beginning-of-line"
       "bounds-of-thing-at-point"
       "buffer-file-name"
       "buffer-modified-p"
       "buffer-substring"
       "buffer-substring-no-properties"
       "called-interactively-p"
       "completing-read"
       "copy-directory"
       "copy-file"
       "current-buffer"
       "custom-autoload"
       "custom-set-faces"
       "defalias"
       "defconst"
       "defcustom"
       "define-derived-mode"
       "define-key"
       "defsubst"
       "delete-char"
       "delete-directory"
       "delete-file"
       "delete-region"
       "directory-files"
       "dolist"
       "dotimes"
       "end-of-line"
       "error"
       "expand-file-name"
       "file-directory-p"
       "file-exists-p"
       "file-name-directory"
       "file-name-extension"
       "file-name-nondirectory"
       "file-name-sans-extension"
       "file-regular-p"
       "file-relative-name"
       "find-file"
       "forward-char"
       "forward-line"
       "forward-sexp"
       "generate-new-buffer"
       "global-set-key"
       "global-unset-key"
       "goto-char"
       "insert-file-contents"
       "insert"
       "interactive"
       "kbd"
       "kill-all-local-variables"
       "kill-buffer"
       "line-beginning-position"
       "line-end-position"
       "local-set-key"
       "looking-at"
       "make-directory"
       "make-local-variable"
       "mark"
       "match-beginning"
       "match-end"
       "match-string"
       "narrow-to-region"
       "point"
       "point-max"
       "point-min"
       "pop-mark"
       "prefer-coding-system"
       "prefix-numeric-value"
       "push-mark"
       "re-search-backward"
       "re-search-forward"
       "read-directory-name"
       "read-file-name"
       "read-from-minibuffer"
       "read-regexp"
       "read-string"
       "region-active-p"
       "region-beginning"
       "region-end"
       "rename-file"
       "repeat"
       "replace-match"
       "replace-regexp"
       "replace-regexp-in-string"
       "run-hooks"
       "save-buffer"
       "save-excursion"
       "save-restriction"
       "search-backward"
       "search-backward-regexp"
       "search-forward"
       "search-forward-regexp"
       "set-buffer"
       "set-file-modes"
       "set-mark"
       "shell-command"
       "skip-chars-backward"
       "skip-chars-forward"
       "substring-no-properties"
       "thing-at-point"
       "user-error"
       "widget-get"
       "with-current-buffer"
       "with-temp-buffer"
       "with-temp-file"
       "write-file"
       "write-region"
       "y-or-n-p"
       "yes-or-no-p"
       "modify-syntax-entry"
       "make-sparse-keymap"
       "standard-syntax-table"
       "run-mode-hooks"
       "set-frame-font"
       "set-syntax-table"
       "use-local-map"
       "defface"
       "shell-command-to-string"
       "start-process"
       "next-buffer"
       "previous-buffer"
       "buffer-name"
       "insert-buffer-substring-no-properties"
       "erase-buffer"
       "append-to-file"
       "buffer-string"
       "switch-to-buffer"
       "with-output-to-temp-buffer"
       "setq-default"
       "shell-command-on-region"
       "parse-time-string"))

(defvar elisp-mode-elisp-builtins
  nil
  "A list of builtins related to Emacs Lisp")

(set 'elisp-mode-elisp-builtins
     '("&optional"))

(defvar elisp-mode-elisp-keywords
  nil
  "A list of keywords related to Emacs Lisp")

(set 'elisp-mode-elisp-keywords
     '("add-to-list"
       "and"
       "append"
       "apply"
       "aref"
       "aset"
       "assoc"
       "assq"
       "boundp"
       "car"
       "catch"
       "cdr"
       "char-to-string"
       "commandp"
       "concat"
       "cond"
       "condition-case"
       "cons"
       "consp"
       "defmacro"
       "defun"
       "elt"
       "eq"
       "equal"
       "expt"
       "fboundp"
       "featurep"
       "floatp"
       "format"
       "format-time-string"
       "funcall"
       "function"
       "get"
       "gethash"
       "hash-table-count"
       "if"
       "integerp"
       "lambda"
       "last"
       "length"
       "let"
       "let*"
       "list"
       "load"
       "make-hash-table"
       "mapc"
       "mapcar"
       "mapconcat"
       "maphash"
       "max"
       "member"
       "memq"
       "message"
       "min"
       "nil"
       "not"
       "nth"
       "nthcdr"
       "null"
       "number-to-string"
       "or"
       "pop"
       "prin1"
       "princ"
       "print"
       "progn"
       "provide"
       "push"
       "put"
       "puthash"
       "quote"
       "random"
       "rassoc"
       "regexp-opt"
       "regexp-quote"
       "remhash"
       "require"
       "reverse"
       "set"
       "setq"
       "sleep-for"
       "sort"
       "split-string"
       "string"
       "string-equal"
       "string-match"
       "string-match-p"
       "string-to-number"
       "string="
       "stringp"
       "subrp"
       "substring"
       "symbol-function"
       "symbol-name"
       "symbol-plist"
       "symbol-value"
       "symbolp"
       "t"
       "throw"
       "unless"
       "vector"
       "when"
       "while"
       "defvar"
       "float"))

(defvar elisp-mode-elisp-variables-1
  nil
  "A list of variables related to Emacs Lisp")

(set 'elisp-mode-elisp-variables-1
     '("Buffer-menu-buffer+size-width"
       "Buffer-menu-mode-width"
       "Buffer-menu-name-width"
       "Buffer-menu-size-width"
       "Buffer-menu-use-frame-buffer-list"
       "Buffer-menu-use-header-line"
       "Info-default-directory-list"
       "Info-split-threshold"
       "abbrev-all-caps"
       "abbrev-file-name"
       "ad-default-compilation-action"
       "ad-redefinition-action"
       "adaptive-fill-first-line-regexp"
       "adaptive-fill-function"
       "adaptive-fill-mode"
       "adaptive-fill-regexp"
       "add-log-current-defun-function"
       "add-log-full-name"
       "add-log-mailing-address"
       "after-save-hook"
       "allout-auto-activation"
       "allout-widgets-auto-activation"
       "apropos-compact-layout"
       "apropos-do-all"
       "apropos-documentation-sort-by-scores"
       "apropos-match-face"
       "apropos-sort-by-scores"
       "async-shell-command-buffer"
       "auth-source-cache-expiry"
       "auto-coding-alist"
       "auto-coding-functions"
       "auto-coding-regexp-alist"
       "auto-compression-mode"
       "auto-encryption-mode"
       "auto-fill-inhibit-regexp"
       "auto-hscroll-mode"
       "auto-image-file-mode"
       "auto-insert-mode"
       "auto-mode-alist"
       "auto-mode-case-fold"
       "auto-save-default"
       "auto-save-file-name-transforms"
       "auto-save-interval"
       "auto-save-list-file-prefix"
       "auto-save-timeout"
       "auto-save-visited-file-name"
       "autoarg-kp-mode"
       "autoarg-mode"
       "automatic-hscrolling"
       "automount-dir-prefix"
       "backup-by-copying"
       "backup-by-copying-when-linked"
       "backup-by-copying-when-mismatch"
       "backup-by-copying-when-privileged-mismatch"
       "backup-directory-alist"
       "backward-delete-char-untabify-method"
       "bahai-holidays"
       "baud-rate"
       "bdf-directory-list"
       "before-save-hook"
       "bidi-paragraph-direction"
       "blink-cursor"
       "blink-cursor-alist"
       "blink-cursor-delay"
       "blink-cursor-interval"
       "blink-cursor-mode"
       "blink-matching-delay"
       "blink-matching-paren"
       "blink-matching-paren-distance"
       "blink-matching-paren-dont-ignore-comments"
       "blink-matching-paren-on-screen"
       "break-hardlink-on-save"
       "browse-url-browser-function"
       "buffer-offer-save"
       "buffers-menu-buffer-name-length"
       "buffers-menu-max-size"
       "buffers-menu-show-directories"
       "buffers-menu-show-status"
       "case-fold-search"
       "case-replace"
       "change-major-mode-with-file-name"
       "charset-map-path"
       "christian-holidays"
       "colon-double-space"
       "column-number-mode"
       "comment-auto-fill-only-comments"
       "comment-column"
       "comment-empty-lines"
       "comment-fill-column"
       "comment-inline-offset"
       "comment-multi-line"
       "comment-padding"
       "comment-style"
       "compilation-ask-about-save"
       "compilation-disable-input"
       "compilation-mode-hook"
       "compilation-search-path"
       "compilation-start-hook"
       "compilation-window-height"
       "compile-command"
       "completion-auto-help"
       "completion-category-overrides"
       "completion-cycle-threshold"
       "completion-ignored-extensions"
       "completion-in-region-mode"
       "completion-pcm-complete-word-inserts-delimiters"
       "completion-pcm-word-delimiters"
       "completion-show-help"
       "completion-styles"
       "completions-format"
       "compose-mail-user-agent-warnings"
       "confirm-kill-emacs"
       "confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer"
       "create-lockfiles"
       "crisp-mode"
       "ctl-arrow"
       "cua-mode"
       "current-language-environment"
       "cursor-in-non-selected-windows"
       "custom-browse-sort-alphabetically"
       "custom-buffer-sort-alphabetically"
       "custom-enabled-themes"
       "custom-file"
       "custom-menu-sort-alphabetically"
       "custom-safe-themes"
       "custom-theme-directory"
       "custom-theme-load-path"
       "cvs-dired-action"
       "cvs-dired-use-hook"
       "debug-ignored-errors"
       "debug-on-error"
       "debug-on-event"
       "debug-on-quit"
       "debug-on-signal"
       "default-directory"
       "default-frame-alist"
       "default-input-method"
       "default-justification"
       "defun-prompt-regexp"
       "delete-active-region"
       "delete-auto-save-files"
       "delete-by-moving-to-trash"
       "delete-exited-processes"
       "delete-old-versions"
       "delete-selection-mode"
       "delete-trailing-lines"
       "desktop-locals-to-save"
       "desktop-save-mode"
       "diff-command"
       "diff-switches"
       "directory-abbrev-alist"
       "directory-free-space-args"
       "directory-free-space-program"
       "dired-kept-versions"
       "dired-listing-switches"
       "display-battery-mode"
       "display-buffer-alist"
       "display-buffer-base-action"
       "display-buffer-function"
       "display-buffer-reuse-frames"
       "display-hourglass"
       "display-mm-dimensions-alist"
       "display-time-day-and-date"
       "display-time-mode"
       "dnd-open-file-other-window"
       "dnd-open-remote-file-function"
       "dnd-protocol-alist"
       "double-click-fuzz"
       "double-click-time"
       "dynamic-completion-mode"
       "echo-keystrokes"
       "edebug-all-defs"
       "edebug-all-forms"
       "eldoc-minor-mode-string"
       "electric-indent-mode"
       "electric-layout-mode"
       "electric-pair-mode"
       "emacs-lisp-docstring-fill-column"
       "emacs-lisp-mode-hook"
       "emacs-major-version"
       "emacs-minor-version"
       "enable-kinsoku"
       "enable-local-eval"
       "enable-local-variables"
       "enable-recursive-minibuffers"
       "enable-remote-dir-locals"
       "eol-mnemonic-dos"
       "eol-mnemonic-mac"
       "eol-mnemonic-undecided"
       "eol-mnemonic-unix"
       "epa-file-inhibit-auto-save"
       "epa-file-name-regexp"
       "epa-global-mail-mode"
       "erc-track-minor-mode"
       "eval-expression-debug-on-error"
       "eval-expression-print-length"
       "eval-expression-print-level"
       "even-window-heights"
       "exec-path"
       "exec-suffixes"
       "exit-language-environment-hook"
       "face-font-family-alternatives"
       "face-font-registry-alternatives"
       "face-font-selection-order"
       "face-x-resources"
       "facemenu-add-face-function"
       "facemenu-end-add-face"
       "facemenu-keybindings"
       "facemenu-listed-faces"
       "facemenu-new-faces-at-end"
       "facemenu-remove-face-function"
       "fancy-splash-image"
       "ff-special-constructs"
       "file-coding-system-alist"
       "file-name-at-point-functions"
       "file-name-shadow-mode"
       "file-name-shadow-properties"
       "file-name-shadow-tty-properties"
       "file-precious-flag"
       "fill-column"
       "fill-individual-varying-indent"
       "fill-nobreak-invisible"
       "fill-nobreak-predicate"
       "fill-prefix"
       "find-directory-functions"
       "find-file-existing-other-name"
       "find-file-hook"
       "find-file-hooks"
       "find-file-run-dired"
       "find-file-suppress-same-file-warnings"
       "find-file-visit-truename"
       "find-file-wildcards"
       "find-tag-default-function"
       "find-tag-hook"
       "fit-frame-to-buffer"
       "fit-frame-to-buffer-bottom-margin"
       "focus-follows-mouse"
       "font-list-limit"
       "font-lock-defaults"
       "font-lock-global-modes"
       "font-lock-maximum-decoration"
       "font-lock-maximum-size"
       "font-lock-support-mode"
       "font-lock-verbose"
       "font-use-system-font"
       "frame-auto-hide-function"
       "frame-background-mode"
       "fringe-mode"
       "garbage-collection-messages"
       "gc-cons-percentage"
       "gc-cons-threshold"
       "gdb-enable-debug"
       "general-holidays"
       "global-auto-revert-mode"
       "global-cwarn-mode"
       "global-ede-mode"
       "global-font-lock-mode"
       "global-hi-lock-mode"
       "global-highlight-changes-mode"
       "global-hl-line-mode"
       "global-linum-mode"
       "global-mark-ring-max"
       "global-reveal-mode"
       "global-subword-mode"
       "global-visual-line-mode"
       "global-whitespace-mode"
       "global-whitespace-newline-mode"
       "glyphless-char-display-control"
       "gnus-select-method"
       "gnutls-min-prime-bits"
       "goal-column"
       "gpm-mouse-mode"
       "grep-command"
       "grep-find-command"
       "grep-setup-hook"
       "grep-window-height"
       "gud-tooltip-mode"
       "hebrew-holidays"
       "help-at-pt-display-when-idle"
       "help-char"
       "help-enable-auto-load"
       "help-event-list"
       "help-mode-hook"
       "help-window-select"
       "highlight-nonselected-windows"
       "hippie-expand-try-functions-list"
       "history-delete-duplicates"
       "history-length"
       "holiday-bahai-holidays"
       "holiday-christian-holidays"
       "holiday-general-holidays"
       "holiday-hebrew-holidays"
       "holiday-islamic-holidays"
       "holiday-local-holidays"
       "holiday-oriental-holidays"
       "holiday-other-holidays"
       "holiday-solar-holidays"
       "hourglass-delay"
       "hscroll-margin"
       "hscroll-step"
       "icomplete-mode"
       "icon-map-list"
       "idle-update-delay"
       "ido-mode"
       "image-file-name-extensions"
       "image-file-name-regexps"
       "image-load-path"
       "imagemagick-enabled-types"
       "imagemagick-types-inhibit"
       "imenu-sort-function"
       "indent-tabs-mode"
       "indicate-buffer-boundaries"
       "indicate-empty-lines"
       "indicate-unused-lines"
       "inhibit-default-init"
       "inhibit-eol-conversion"
       "inhibit-local-menu-bar-menus"
       "inhibit-splash-screen"
       "inhibit-startup-buffer-menu"
       "inhibit-startup-echo-area-message"
       "inhibit-startup-message"
       "inhibit-startup-screen"
       "initial-buffer-choice"
       "initial-frame-alist"
       "initial-major-mode"
       "initial-scratch-message"
       "input-method-activate-hook"
       "input-method-after-insert-chunk-hook"
       "input-method-deactivate-hook"
       "input-method-highlight-flag"
       "input-method-inactivate-hook"
       "input-method-use-echo-area"
       "input-method-verbose-flag"
       "insert-default-directory"
       "inverse-video"
       "isearch-allow-scroll"
       "isearch-hide-immediately"
       "isearch-lazy-highlight"
       "isearch-lazy-highlight-cleanup"
       "isearch-lazy-highlight-initial-delay"
       "isearch-lazy-highlight-interval"
       "isearch-lazy-highlight-max-at-a-time"
       "isearch-resume-in-command-history"
       "islamic-holidays"
       "ispell-personal-dictionary"
       "iswitchb-mode"
       "jit-lock-chunk-size"
       "jit-lock-context-time"
       "jit-lock-contextually"
       "jit-lock-defer-contextually"
       "jit-lock-defer-time"
       "jit-lock-stealth-load"
       "jit-lock-stealth-nice"
       "jit-lock-stealth-time"
       "jit-lock-stealth-verbose"
       "jka-compr-compression-info-list"
       "jka-compr-load-suffixes"
       "jka-compr-mode-alist-additions"
       "jka-compr-verbose"
       "kept-new-versions"
       "kept-old-versions"
       "keyboard-coding-system"
       "keypad-numlock-setup"
       "keypad-numlock-shifted-setup"
       "keypad-setup"
       "keypad-shifted-setup"
       "kill-do-not-save-duplicates"
       "kill-read-only-ok"
       "kill-ring-max"
       "kill-whole-line"
       "language-info-custom-alist"
       "large-file-warning-threshold"
       "last-command"
       "latex-block-names"
       "latex-inputenc-coding-alist"
       "latex-run-command"
       "latin1-display"
       "latin1-display-ucs-per-lynx"
       "lazy-highlight-cleanup"
       "lazy-highlight-initial-delay"
       "lazy-highlight-interval"
       "lazy-highlight-max-at-a-time"
       "left-margin"
       "line-move-ignore-invisible"
       "line-move-visual"
       "line-number-display-limit"
       "line-number-display-limit-width"
       "line-number-mode"
       "line-spacing"
       "lisp-body-indent"
       "lisp-indent-function"
       "lisp-indent-offset"
       "lisp-interaction-mode-hook"
       "lisp-mode-hook"
       "list-colors-sort"
       "list-directory-brief-switches"
       "list-directory-verbose-switches"
       "list-matching-lines-buffer-name-face"
       "list-matching-lines-default-context-lines"
       "list-matching-lines-face"))

(defvar elisp-mode-elisp-variables-2
  nil
  "A list of variables related to Emacs Lisp")

(set 'elisp-mode-elisp-variables-2
     '("expression"
       "font-lock-builtin-face"
       "font-lock-comment-delimiter-face"
       "font-lock-comment-face"
       "font-lock-constant-face"
       "font-lock-doc-face"
       "font-lock-function-name-face"
       "font-lock-keyword-face"
       "font-lock-negation-char-face"
       "font-lock-preprocessor-face"
       "font-lock-reference-face"
       "font-lock-string-face"
       "font-lock-type-face"
       "font-lock-variable-name-face"
       "font-lock-warning-face"
       "load-path"
       "local-holidays"
       "locate-ls-subdir-switches"
       "lpr-command"
       "lpr-switches"
       "ls-lisp-support-shell-wildcards"
       "mail-abbrevs-mode"
       "mail-archive-file-name"
       "mail-citation-hook"
       "mail-citation-prefix-regexp"
       "mail-complete-style"
       "mail-default-directory"
       "mail-default-headers"
       "mail-default-reply-to"
       "mail-dont-reply-to-names"
       "mail-from-style"
       "mail-header-separator"
       "mail-hist-keep-history"
       "mail-host-address"
       "mail-indentation-spaces"
       "mail-interactive"
       "mail-mailing-lists"
       "mail-personal-alias-file"
       "mail-self-blind"
       "mail-setup-hook"
       "mail-signature"
       "mail-signature-file"
       "mail-specify-envelope-from"
       "mail-use-rfc822"
       "mail-user-agent"
       "mail-yank-prefix"
       "major-mode"
       "make-backup-file-name-function"
       "make-backup-files"
       "make-cursor-line-fully-visible"
       "make-pointer-invisible"
       "mark-active"
       "mark-even-if-inactive"
       "mark-ring-max"
       "max-lisp-eval-depth"
       "max-mini-window-height"
       "max-specpdl-size"
       "menu-bar-mode"
       "menu-prompting"
       "message-log-max"
       "messages-buffer-max-lines"
       "meta-prefix-char"
       "minibuffer-auto-raise"
       "minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode"
       "minibuffer-electric-default-mode"
       "minibuffer-frame-alist"
       "minibuffer-history-case-insensitive-variables"
       "minibuffer-prompt-properties"
       "mode-line-default-help-echo"
       "mode-line-format"
       "mode-line-in-non-selected-windows"
       "mode-name"
       "mode-require-final-newline"
       "mouse-1-click-follows-link"
       "mouse-1-click-in-non-selected-windows"
       "mouse-autoselect-window"
       "mouse-avoidance-mode"
       "mouse-buffer-menu-maxlen"
       "mouse-buffer-menu-mode-mult"
       "mouse-drag-copy-region"
       "mouse-highlight"
       "mouse-scroll-delay"
       "mouse-scroll-min-lines"
       "mouse-wheel-click-event"
       "mouse-wheel-down-event"
       "mouse-wheel-follow-mouse"
       "mouse-wheel-inhibit-click-time"
       "mouse-wheel-mode"
       "mouse-wheel-progressive-speed"
       "mouse-wheel-scroll-amount"
       "mouse-wheel-up-event"
       "mouse-yank-at-point"
       "msb-mode"
       "next-error-highlight"
       "next-error-highlight-no-select"
       "next-error-hook"
       "next-error-recenter"
       "next-line-add-newlines"
       "next-screen-context-lines"
       "no-redraw-on-reenter"
       "normal-erase-is-backspace"
       "occur-excluded-properties"
       "occur-hook"
       "occur-mode-find-occurrence-hook"
       "occur-mode-hook"
       "only-global-abbrevs"
       "open-paren-in-column-0-is-defun-start"
       "oriental-holidays"
       "other-holidays"
       "overflow-newline-into-fringe"
       "overline-margin"
       "package-enable-at-startup"
       "page-delimiter"
       "paragraph-ignore-fill-prefix"
       "paragraph-separate"
       "paragraph-start"
       "parens-require-spaces"
       "parse-sexp-ignore-comments"
       "password-cache"
       "password-cache-expiry"
       "polling-period"
       "pop-up-frame-alist"
       "pop-up-frame-function"
       "pop-up-frames"
       "pop-up-windows"
       "pre-abbrev-expand-hook"
       "printer-name"
       "process-connection-type"
       "ps-page-dimensions-database"
       "ps-paper-type"
       "ps-print-color-p"
       "query-replace-from-history-variable"
       "query-replace-highlight"
       "query-replace-lazy-highlight"
       "query-replace-show-replacement"
       "query-replace-skip-read-only"
       "query-replace-to-history-variable"
       "rcirc-track-minor-mode"
       "read-buffer-completion-ignore-case"
       "read-buffer-function"
       "read-file-name-completion-ignore-case"
       "read-mail-command"
       "read-quoted-char-radix"
       "recenter-positions"
       "recenter-redisplay"
       "recentf-mode"
       "regexp-search-ring-max"
       "register-separator"
       "remote-file-name-inhibit-cache"
       "remote-shell-program"
       "replace-lax-whitespace"
       "replace-regexp-lax-whitespace"
       "require-final-newline"
       "revert-without-query"
       "rmail-displayed-headers"
       "rmail-dont-reply-to-names"
       "rmail-file-name"
       "rmail-highlighted-headers"
       "rmail-ignored-headers"
       "rmail-primary-inbox-list"
       "rmail-retry-ignored-headers"
       "rmail-secondary-file-directory"
       "rmail-secondary-file-regexp"
       "rmail-show-message-hook"
       "rmail-spool-directory"
       "rmail-user-mail-address-regexp"
       "safe-local-eval-forms"
       "safe-local-variable-values"
       "same-window-buffer-names"
       "same-window-regexps"
       "save-abbrevs"
       "save-interprogram-paste-before-kill"
       "savehist-mode"
       "scalable-fonts-allowed"
       "scroll-all-mode"
       "scroll-bar-mode"
       "scroll-conservatively"
       "scroll-down-aggressively"
       "scroll-error-top-bottom"
       "scroll-margin"
       "scroll-preserve-screen-position"
       "scroll-step"
       "scroll-up-aggressively"
       "search-exit-option"
       "search-highlight"
       "search-invisible"
       "search-nonincremental-instead"
       "search-ring-max"
       "search-ring-update"
       "search-slow-speed"
       "search-slow-window-lines"
       "search-upper-case"
       "search-whitespace-regexp"
       "select-active-regions"
       "selection-coding-system"
       "selective-display-ellipses"
       "semantic-default-submodes"
       "semantic-mode"
       "send-mail-function"
       "sentence-end"
       "sentence-end-base"
       "sentence-end-double-space"
       "sentence-end-without-period"
       "sentence-end-without-space"
       "server-mode"
       "set-language-environment-hook"
       "set-mark-command-repeat-pop"
       "set-mark-default-inactive"
       "shell-dumb-shell-regexp"
       "shell-file-name"
       "shift-select-mode"
       "show-paren-mode"
       "show-paren-style"
       "show-trailing-whitespace"
       "site-run-file"
       "size-indication-mode"
       "slitex-run-command"
       "small-temporary-file-directory"
       "solar-holidays"
       "special-display-buffer-names"
       "special-display-frame-alist"
       "special-display-function"
       "special-display-regexps"
       "split-height-threshold"
       "split-width-threshold"
       "split-window-keep-point"
       "split-window-preferred-function"
       "standard-indent"
       "strokes-mode"
       "suggest-key-bindings"
       "switch-to-buffer-preserve-window-point"
       "switch-to-visible-buffer"
       "system-type"
       "tab-always-indent"
       "tab-stop-list"
       "tab-width"
       "table-cell-map-hook"
       "table-load-hook"
       "table-point-entered-cell-hook"
       "table-point-left-cell-hook"
       "tags-add-tables"
       "tags-case-fold-search"
       "tags-compression-info-list"
       "tags-table-list"
       "temp-buffer-max-height"
       "temp-buffer-resize-mode"
       "temp-buffer-show-function"
       "temporary-file-directory"
       "term-file-prefix"
       "tex-alt-dvi-print-command"
       "tex-bibtex-command"
       "tex-close-quote"
       "tex-default-mode"
       "tex-directory"
       "tex-dvi-print-command"
       "tex-dvi-view-command"
       "tex-first-line-header-regexp"
       "tex-main-file"
       "tex-offer-save"
       "tex-open-quote"
       "tex-run-command"
       "tex-shell-file-name"
       "tex-show-queue-command"
       "tex-start-commands"
       "tex-start-options"
       "texinfo-close-quote"
       "texinfo-open-quote"
       "text-mode-hook"
       "this-command"
       "three-step-help"
       "timer-max-repeats"
       "tool-bar-max-label-size"
       "tool-bar-mode"
       "tool-bar-position"
       "tool-bar-style"
       "tooltip-delay"
       "tooltip-frame-parameters"
       "tooltip-hide-delay"
       "tooltip-mode"
       "tooltip-recent-seconds"
       "tooltip-short-delay"
       "tooltip-use-echo-area"
       "tooltip-x-offset"
       "tooltip-y-offset"
       "tpu-edt-mode"
       "trace-buffer"
       "track-eol"
       "tramp-mode"
       "tramp-syntax"
       "transient-mark-mode"
       "trash-directory"
       "truncate-lines"
       "truncate-partial-width-windows"
       "tutorial-directory"
       "type-break-mode"
       "underline-minimum-offset"
       "undo-ask-before-discard"
       "undo-limit"
       "undo-outer-limit"
       "undo-strong-limit"
       "unibyte-display-via-language-environment"
       "unify-8859-on-decoding-mode"
       "unify-8859-on-encoding-mode"
       "url-debug"
       "url-handler-mode"
       "use-dialog-box"
       "use-empty-active-region"
       "use-file-dialog"
       "user-full-name"
       "user-mail-address"
       "vc-before-checkin-hook"
       "vc-checkin-hook"
       "vc-checkout-hook"
       "vc-consult-headers"
       "vc-directory-exclusion-list"
       "vc-display-status"
       "vc-follow-symlinks"
       "vc-handled-backends"
       "vc-ignore-dir-regexp"
       "vc-keep-workfiles"
       "vc-make-backup-files"
       "vc-mistrust-permissions"
       "vc-rcs-master-templates"
       "vc-sccs-master-templates"
       "vc-stay-local"
       "version-control"
       "vertical-centering-font-regexp"
       "view-read-only"
       "view-remove-frame-by-deleting"
       "visible-bell"
       "visible-cursor"
       "visual-line-fringe-indicators"
       "void-text-area-pointer"
       "which-function-mode"
       "window-combination-limit"
       "window-combination-resize"
       "window-min-height"
       "window-min-width"
       "window-sides-slots"
       "window-sides-vertical"
       "window-system"
       "winner-mode"
       "woman-locale"
       "word-wrap"
       "words-include-escapes"
       "x-bitmap-file-path"
       "x-dnd-known-types"
       "x-dnd-test-function"
       "x-dnd-types-alist"
       "x-gtk-file-dialog-help-text"
       "x-gtk-show-hidden-files"
       "x-gtk-stock-map"
       "x-gtk-use-old-file-dialog"
       "x-gtk-use-system-tooltips"
       "x-gtk-whole-detached-tool-bar"
       "x-select-enable-clipboard"
       "x-select-enable-clipboard-manager"
       "x-select-enable-primary"
       "x-select-request-type"
       "x-stretch-cursor"
       "x-underline-at-descent-line"
       "x-use-underline-position-properties"
       "xterm-mouse-mode"
       "yank-excluded-properties"
       "yank-handled-properties"
       "yank-menu-length"
       "yank-pop-change-selection"
       "user-emacs-directory"))

(set
 'elisp-mode-font-lock-keywords
 (let ((emacs-keywords    (regexp-opt elisp-mode-emacs-keywords    'symbols))
       (elisp-builtins    (regexp-opt elisp-mode-elisp-builtins    'symbols))
       (elisp-keywords    (regexp-opt elisp-mode-elisp-keywords    'symbols))
       (elisp-variables-1 (regexp-opt elisp-mode-elisp-variables-1 'symbols))
       (elisp-variables-2 (regexp-opt elisp-mode-elisp-variables-2 'symbols)))
   `((,emacs-keywords    . font-lock-function-name-face)
     (,elisp-builtins    . font-lock-type-face)
     (,elisp-keywords    . font-lock-keyword-face)
     (,elisp-variables-1 . font-lock-variable-name-face)
     (,elisp-variables-2 . font-lock-variable-name-face))))

;; font-lock-comment-delimiter-face
;; font-lock-comment-face
;; font-lock-doc-face
;; font-lock-negation-char-face
;; font-lock-preprocessor-face
;; font-lock-reference-face
;; font-lock-string-face
;; font-lock-type-face
;; font-lock-variable-name-face
;; font-lock-warning-face

(defvar elisp-mode-keymap
  nil
  "Keymap for `elisp-mode'")

(progn
  (set 'elisp-mode-keymap (make-sparse-keymap)))

(defvar elisp-mode-syntax-table
  nil
  "Syntax table for `elisp-mode'")

(set 'elisp-mode-syntax-table
     (let ((syntax-table (make-syntax-table)))
       (modify-syntax-entry ?\; "< b" syntax-table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?\n "> b" syntax-table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?` "'   " syntax-table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?' "'   " syntax-table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?, "'   " syntax-table)
       (modify-syntax-entry ?@ "'   " syntax-table)
       syntax-table))

(define-derived-mode elisp-mode
  emacs-lisp-mode
  "ξL"

@ 2013-06-24  1:13               ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2013-06-24  1:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Haroogan <haroogan@gmail.com> writes:

> Good point. Didn't know that I can do it. I'm not that pro in Emacs
> yet, so I'm not sure whether it is possible to extend all those
> features that I've added through derivation. I'm adding my elisp-mode
> as attachment, please, take a look if you have time. Can I, for
> example, extend emacs-lisp-mode with some keywords without derivation?

Yes, I think, that's exactly what `font-lock-add-keywords' does - see
its documentation - and the elisp manual, e.g. (elisp) Customizing
Keywords.

I don't yet know the logic behind your code.  What exactly do you want
to highlight - do you want functions/variables of any special kind?  I
mean, In Lisp, the layout of the code already reveals which symbols will
be interpreted as functions.  Probably that's why functions are not
highlighted.

Regards,

Michael.