all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* disable case-changer in Ada mode
@ 2013-10-09 22:29 Emanuel Berg
       [not found] ` <mailman.3756.1381405718.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-09 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I writing in Ada, and the ada-mode has the property that
it changes the lower-/uppercase of words *as you
type*. This is driving my nuts! It is almost psychedelic
(but not in a positive way).

I *think* it is there because Ada is case-*in*sensitive,
so they'd add it as a way to enforce consistency. (?)
So, because case doesn't matter, the mode changes the
case as you type... (I don't know if that makes sense,
but I just get dizzy.)

So can I disable it? It doesn't seem to be a minor
mode. Perhaps it is connected to the indentation
function? (But it seems to run after each word.)

Also, I cannot set the keys as I like them (C-j, for
example, needs to be set to nil so my global C-j will
work), but define-key and unset-key don't work, because
they intermingle with the case-changer.

Ideas?

--
Emanuel Berg, programmer-for-rent. CV, projects, etc at uXu
underground experts united:  http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: disable case-changer in Ada mode
@ 2013-10-10 11:48 ` Stefan Monnier
       [not found] ` <mailman.3756.1381405718.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-10 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I writing in Ada, and the ada-mode has the property that
> it changes the lower-/uppercase of words *as you
> type*. This is driving my nuts! It is almost psychedelic
> (but not in a positive way).

> I *think* it is there because Ada is case-*in*sensitive,
> so they'd add it as a way to enforce consistency. (?)
> So, because case doesn't matter, the mode changes the
> case as you type... (I don't know if that makes sense,
> but I just get dizzy.)

> So can I disable it?

(setq ada-auto-case nil)

@ 2013-10-10 20:47   ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3813.1381465458.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-10 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> So can I disable it?
>
> (setq ada-auto-case nil)

Works. (I guess you would have told me if my theory as
to the rationale of it is incorrect.)

--

@ 2013-10-11  4:24     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3813.1381465458.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-10-11  4:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/10/13 2:47 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
> Stefan Monnier<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>  writes:
>
>>> So can I disable it?
>>
>> (setq ada-auto-case nil)
>
> Works. (I guess you would have told me if my theory as
> to the rationale of it is incorrect.)

You could discover this solution yourself with `M-x apropos-variable RET
ada SPC case RET'

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2013-10-11 17:17       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2013-10-11 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> You could discover this solution yourself with `M-x
> apropos-variable RET ada SPC case RET'

Well, at least now I could have...

It seems one buffer has to be put in Ada mode first,
though, or if you had the mode initialized in some other
way.

--

@ 2013-10-11 19:33       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-10-11 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You could discover this solution yourself with `M-x apropos-variable RET
> ada SPC case RET'

M-x customize-group RET ada RET

would be a good starting point as well,