all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-06 15:01 agjf.tucker
From: agjf.tucker @ 2014-10-06 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi!

I am using Aquamacs with AUCTeX and Skim to edit and view LaTeX documents.  It used to work just fine but when I upgraded to version 3.0a (based on Emacs 24), I started to get these sorts of messages.

Specifically, I will have run LaTeX using the button at the top.  Then I will try to start editing again.

At the bottom of the frame I will get my first message, "Something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)"  I press "y" to keep editing.

Then when I go to run LaTeX again, a dialog box pops up saying, "something.tex has changed since visited or saved.  Save anyway?"  I click on the "Yes" button to run LaTeX.

Immediately I will get at the bottom of the frame, "something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)".  I press "y".

And then it's fine again for a little while!

There is a thread about this already on the Aquamacs group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/aquamacs-devel/yX-kkfJTNlU.

There was some suggestion that it might be related to use of a file hosting service like Dropbox, and it's true I used to have Dropbox installed.  But I uninstalled it some time ago (because I thought that might resolve this problem).

David Reitter (author of Aquamacs) says it is not a problem of his making and that I might have better luck asking here.

Thanks, Alistair.

* Re: something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-06 17:03 ` Alexander Baier
From: Alexander Baier @ 2014-10-06 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: agjf.tucker; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2014-10-06 17:01 agjf.tucker@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am using Aquamacs with AUCTeX and Skim to edit and view LaTeX
> documents.  It used to work just fine but when I upgraded to version
> 3.0a (based on Emacs 24), I started to get these sorts of messages.
>
> Specifically, I will have run LaTeX using the button at the top.  Then
> I will try to start editing again.
>
> At the bottom of the frame I will get my first message, "Something.tex
> changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)" I press "y"
> to keep editing.
>
> Then when I go to run LaTeX again, a dialog box pops up saying,
> "something.tex has changed since visited or saved.  Save anyway?"  I
> click on the "Yes" button to run LaTeX.
>
> Immediately I will get at the bottom of the frame, "something.tex
> changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)".  I press
> "y".
>
> And then it's fine again for a little while!
>
> There is a thread about this already on the Aquamacs group:
> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/aquamacs-devel/yX-kkfJTNlU.
>
> There was some suggestion that it might be related to use of a file
> hosting service like Dropbox, and it's true I used to have Dropbox
> installed.  But I uninstalled it some time ago (because I thought that
> might resolve this problem).
>
> David Reitter (author of Aquamacs) says it is not a problem of his
> making and that I might have better luck asking here.

I think you get this warning/error/question when something outside of
emacs' control has edited the file you are trying to edit. As a
workaround you might try to turn on auto-revert-mode.

HTH,
--
Alexander Baier

* Re: something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-07  7:40 ` sokobania.01
From: sokobania.01 @ 2014-10-07  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Le lundi 6 octobre 2014 17:01:22 UTC+2, agjf....@gmail.com a écrit :
> Hi!
>

> I am using Aquamacs with AUCTeX and Skim to edit and view LaTeX documents.  It used to work just fine but when I upgraded to version 3.0a (based on Emacs 24), I started to get these sorts of messages.
>

> Specifically, I will have run LaTeX using the button at the top.  Then I will try to start editing again.
>

> At the bottom of the frame I will get my first message, "Something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)"  I press "y" to keep editing.
>

> Then when I go to run LaTeX again, a dialog box pops up saying, "something.tex has changed since visited or saved.  Save anyway?"  I click on the "Yes" button to run LaTeX.
>

> Immediately I will get at the bottom of the frame, "something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)".  I press "y".
>

> And then it's fine again for a little while!
>

> There is a thread about this already on the Aquamacs group: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/aquamacs-devel/yX-kkfJTNlU.
>

> There was some suggestion that it might be related to use of a file hosting service like Dropbox, and it's true I used to have Dropbox installed.  But I uninstalled it some time ago (because I thought that might resolve this problem).
>

> David Reitter (author of Aquamacs) says it is not a problem of his making and that I might have better luck asking here.
>

> Thanks, Alistair.

I happened to see some strange behavior (I can't remember if it's the same) when the file was hosted on a server with a clock out of sync (the file was considered newer than the current time on the machine running emacs).
But, if you use only one macintosh with a local hard drive, this can not be the correct explanation.

* Re: something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-07 14:51   ` agjf.tucker
From: agjf.tucker @ 2014-10-07 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Yes, to clarify, this is on my local disk.  Noone else has access.

I looked up auto-revert-mode, thanks for the suggestion Alexander, however from the description it's not at all the desired behaviour...

@ 2014-10-09 16:48     ` agjf.tucker
From: agjf.tucker @ 2014-10-09 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have searched the archives, where I found this advice to someone suffering a similar problem:

"To find out what's going on, invoke the function visited-file-modtime from the buffer of the offending file, and compare the result it returns with the time stamp for that file returned by file-attributes."

I have tried running these functions with M-x but I get [No Match].  Any ideas?

@ 2014-10-09 17:45 ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-10-09 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

agjf.tucker@gmail.com writes:

> Hi!
>
> I am using Aquamacs with AUCTeX and Skim to edit and view LaTeX
> documents.  It used to work just fine but when I upgraded to version
> 3.0a (based on Emacs 24), I started to get these sorts of messages.
>
> Specifically, I will have run LaTeX using the button at the top.  Then
> I will try to start editing again.
>
> At the bottom of the frame I will get my first message, "Something.tex
> changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)" I press "y"
> to keep editing.

For you information: By coincidence I'm getting lately the same messages
persistently on RHEL (the Oracle version) with Emacs 24.3.93. (for some
local files).

Before this I never experienced spurious notifications from Emacs, so I
thought this might be an OS problem, I'll test after my holidays Emacs23
with the very same files and come back to this thread when I'm able to
reproduce a difference with Emacs 24.3.9{3,4}.

Good luck

     Dieter
--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-09 18:57       ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-10-09 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <95fee263-abed-4ccc-8e1c-f63f227c7517@googlegroups.com>,
 agjf.tucker@gmail.com wrote:

> I have searched the archives, where I found this advice to someone suffering
> a similar problem:
>
> "To find out what's going on, invoke the function visited-file-modtime from
> the buffer of the offending file, and compare the result it returns with the
> time stamp for that file returned by file-attributes."
>
> I have tried running these functions with M-x but I get [No Match].  Any
> ideas?

These are Lisp functions, not interactive commands. Run them with M-:

M-: (visited-file-modtime)
M-: (file-attributes buffer-file-name)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA

* Re: something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-16 20:13         ` agjf.tucker
From: agjf.tucker @ 2014-10-16 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks!  These are the results I get

M-: (visited-file-modtime)
(21568 8785 0 0)

M-: (file-attributes something.tex)
(nil 1 501 20 (21568 8805 0 0) (21568 8811 0 0) (21568 8811 0 0) ... )

I guess this means that it's Emacs' file-writing mechanism that is broken?  Or OSX itself? (seems less likely...)

Ali

@ 2014-10-16 20:42   ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-10-16 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de (H. Dieter Wilhelm) writes:

> agjf.tucker@gmail.com writes:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am using Aquamacs with AUCTeX and Skim to edit and view LaTeX
>> documents.  It used to work just fine but when I upgraded to version
>> 3.0a (based on Emacs 24), I started to get these sorts of messages.
>>
>> Specifically, I will have run LaTeX using the button at the top.  Then
>> I will try to start editing again.
>>
>> At the bottom of the frame I will get my first message, "Something.tex
>> changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y,n,r or C-h)" I press "y"
>> to keep editing.
>
> For you information: By coincidence I'm getting lately the same messages
> persistently on RHEL (the Oracle version) with Emacs 24.3.93. (for some
> local files).
>
> Before this I never experienced spurious notifications from Emacs, so I
> thought this might be an OS problem, I'll test after my holidays Emacs23
> with the very same files and come back to this thread when I'm able to
> reproduce a difference with Emacs 24.3.9{3,4}.

We had a problem with the file server, this seems to be the most likely
culprit and not Emacs at the moment from my side.

        Dieter

--
Best wishes
H. Dieter Wilhelm

* Re: something.tex changed on disk; really edit the buffer?
@ 2014-10-16 21:37           ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2014-10-16 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <4dae848f-0fa5-4aad-a2f6-64dabaa738ea@googlegroups.com>,
 agjf.tucker@gmail.com wrote:

> Thanks!  These are the results I get
>
> M-: (visited-file-modtime)
> (21568 8785 0 0)
>
> M-: (file-attributes something.tex)
> (nil 1 501 20 (21568 8805 0 0) (21568 8811 0 0) (21568 8811 0 0) ... )
>
> I guess this means that it's Emacs' file-writing mechanism that is broken?
> Or OSX itself? (seems less likely...)

You said this happens when you run LaTeX on the file. Does it happen on
any other files?

If it's only for LaTeX, I suspect that it's touching the input file for
some reason.

--

@ 2014-10-17 14:20             ` agjf.tucker
From: agjf.tucker @ 2014-10-17 14:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I haven't had it happen for any other type of file, but tbh I don't think I have used Emacs for anything else since I installed the new version.

When I press the LaTeX button it first saves the file and then runs LaTeX straight away, so even if LaTeX does touch the file, it's never as much as twenty seconds later...

@ 2014-10-25  7:29             ` H. Dieter Wilhelm
From: H. Dieter Wilhelm @ 2014-10-25  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <4dae848f-0fa5-4aad-a2f6-64dabaa738ea@googlegroups.com>,
>  agjf.tucker@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Thanks!  These are the results I get
>>
>> M-: (visited-file-modtime)
>> (21568 8785 0 0)
>>
>> M-: (file-attributes something.tex)
>> (nil 1 501 20 (21568 8805 0 0) (21568 8811 0 0) (21568 8811 0 0) ... )
>>
>> I guess this means that it's Emacs' file-writing mechanism that is broken?
>> Or OSX itself? (seems less likely...)
>
> You said this happens when you run LaTeX on the file. Does it happen on
> any other files?

For me it's currently for org-mode files (for Emacs 24.4 on RHEL 6),
when I edit them the other day.

     Dieter
--
Best wishes