all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [Emacs, Xorg?] Different icons for servers
@ 2015-04-08 22:50 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-04-08 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I would like to start Emacs servers, that are recognized as separate
programs and have separate icons.

I use Emacs for various purposes such as music, email, note capturing, and
"the rest".  For some of these I like to run dedicated daemons/servers.
E.g. this is how I start EMMS (from emms.desktop):

emacsclient -s emms -ca '' --eval "(progn (toggle-frame-maximized) (emms-smart-browse))" -F '((title . "EMMS"))'

I would like to communicate to X or my DE (Gnome-Shell) that each Emacs
server is a separate program with it's own "class".  I think this is would
be "changing the x-resource-class for each server" in Emacs lingo.

Further, I would like to change the icon associated with a server.  I
tried to add something like the following to my -F cons list:

(icon-type . "/home/rasmus/.local/share/icons/emms.png")

But it did not seem to have an effect.

I would appreciate help on this.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
Send from my Emacs

* Re: [Emacs, Xorg?] Different icons for servers
       [not found] <mailman.252.1428533463.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-04-09 13:18 ` Javier
       [not found]   ` <mailman.298.1428587837.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Javier @ 2015-04-09 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I would like to start Emacs servers, that are recognized as separate
> programs and have separate icons.
>
> I would like to communicate to X or my DE (Gnome-Shell) that each Emacs
> server is a separate program with it's own "class".  I think this is would
> be "changing the x-resource-class for each server" in Emacs lingo.

My guess is that if you are using emacs compiled with gtk toolkit (it
is the default) it will ignore the x-resources .

Try emacs compiled with the lucid toolkit.  You can look in your
distro for an emacs-lucid package or compile it yourself with

./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid  ; make ; sudo make install

lucid will cooperate with x-resources.  If that doesn't work try
replacing gnome with a simple window manager, not a desktop
environment.  Gnome (also possibly kde and other desktops) may have
dropped x-resources usage.

* Re: [Emacs, Xorg?] Different icons for servers
@ 2015-04-09 13:56   ` Rasmus
       [not found]   ` <mailman.298.1428587837.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rasmus @ 2015-04-09 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Javier,

Javier <nospam@nospam.com> writes:

>> I would like to start Emacs servers, that are recognized as separate
>> programs and have separate icons.
>>
>> I would like to communicate to X or my DE (Gnome-Shell) that each Emacs
>> server is a separate program with it's own "class".  I think this is would
>> be "changing the x-resource-class for each server" in Emacs lingo.
>
> My guess is that if you are using emacs compiled with gtk toolkit (it
> is the default) it will ignore the x-resources .
>
> Try emacs compiled with the lucid toolkit.  You can look in your
> distro for an emacs-lucid package or compile it yourself with
>
> ./configure --with-x-toolkit=lucid  ; make ; sudo make install

I quite like Emacs with GTK.  So given that I compile with GTK toolkit, I
would like to find a solution.

> lucid will cooperate with x-resources.  If that doesn't work try
> replacing gnome with a simple window manager, not a desktop
> environment.

I also use i3, but less so these days since I got more RAM.

> Gnome (also possibly kde and other desktops) may have dropped
> x-resources usage.

I don't think so, but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
9000!

@ 2015-04-09 15:02     ` Javier
From: Javier @ 2015-04-09 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I quite like Emacs with GTK.  So given that I compile with GTK toolkit, I
> would like to find a solution.

You can try to look at the emacs manual for gtk resources.

(info "(emacs) GTK Resource Basics")
(info "(emacs) Icons X")

* Re: [Emacs, Xorg?] Different icons for servers
@ 2015-05-28 15:10 ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2015-05-28 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> writes:

> I would like to communicate to X or my DE (Gnome-Shell) that each Emacs
> server is a separate program with it's own "class".  I think this is would
> be "changing the x-resource-class for each server" in Emacs lingo.

Just for the archives, I solved this with the hack here:

    https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1532639

Rasmus

--
This message is brought to you by the department of redundant departments