#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE * The variable ~JAVA_HOME~ … #+END_EXAMPLE Exporting this to LaTeX and then compiling to PDF, produces the following error: ! Missing $ inserted. $ l.35 \section{The variable \verb~JAVA_HOME~} Apparently, \verb is not allow in command arguments: http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=verbwithin One solution is uses \cprotect: \cprotect\section{The variable \verb~JAVA_HOME~} I don’t know how the exporter works but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t entirely trivial to implement this. The problem also exists in other situations where ~verbatim~ is used in embedded contexts, for example when used in link descriptions: [[https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=JAVA_HOME][Google ~JAVA_HOME~]] Is there anything that speaks against using \texttt for ~verbatim~? The HTML exporter uses the code tag for ~verbatim~ and =code=. Titus