all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eww-wont-follow-link...
@ 2015-08-05  5:54 Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-08-05  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I can't get eww to work anymore, every call to eww-follow-link fails
with "no link under point".

I tried it for instance on the following google url, in a emacs -Q
scratch buffer:

(require 'eww')
http://www.google.com

Julien.

* Re: eww-wont-follow-link...
@ 2015-08-23 13:01 ` Alexis
From: Alexis @ 2015-08-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Julien Cubizolles <j.cubizolles@free.fr> writes:

> I can't get eww to work anymore, every call to eww-follow-link
> fails with "no link under point".
>
> I tried it for instance on the following google url, in a emacs
> -Q scratch buffer:
>
> --8<---------------cut
> here---------------start------------->8--- (require 'eww')
> http://www.google.com --8<---------------cut
> here---------------end--------------->8---

Reading the relevant code, it seems to me that `eww-follow-link`
probably expects to be called on a link in text that's been
rendered by `shr`, which would have put the text property
`shr-url` on URLs in the text. Thus,

* the documentation for `eww-follow-link` needs to note this, so
  that
  users don't expect to be able to use this command outside of
  `eww` or `shr`-rendered text; or

* the code for `eww-follow-link` should be modified to use a
  method of
  obtaining the URL at point that doesn't involve a text property
  having been set.

Either way, it might be worth filing a bug about this, using the
`report-emacs-bug` command.

Alexis.

* Re: eww-wont-follow-link...
@ 2015-08-24 11:53   ` Julien Cubizolles
From: Julien Cubizolles @ 2015-08-24 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexis <flexibeast@gmail.com> writes:

> Reading the relevant code, it seems to me that `eww-follow-link`
> probably expects to be called on a link in text that's been rendered
> by `shr`, which would have put the text property `shr-url` on URLs in
> the text. Thus,
>
> * the documentation for `eww-follow-link` needs to note this, so that
> users don't expect to be able to use this command outside of `eww` or
> `shr`-rendered text; or
>
> * the code for `eww-follow-link` should be modified to use a method of
> obtaining the URL at point that doesn't involve a text property having
> been set.

I found out I just needed to use the browse-url function and configure
the variable browse-url-browser-function.

Thanks for your reply.

Julien.