all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-23 19:21 cptvlaze
From: cptvlaze @ 2016-02-23 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Good afternoon. I've started using emacs today, so I'm a total newbie at this
time.
I want to read my GMX email from emacs, using POP3 and rmail, but I just
don't know where to start. I've read lots of wikis and manuals and I'm
completely lost. Could somebody throw a bit of light over this?
Thank you.

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-23 22:41 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-23 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> I've started using emacs today, so I'm a total
> newbie at this time. I want to read my GMX email
> from emacs, using POP3 and rmail, but I just don't
> know where to start. I've read lots of wikis and
> manuals and I'm completely lost. Could somebody
> throw a bit of light over this? Thank you.

I'd recommend Gnus instead of Rmail for reasons of
technology but also because you'll come across more
people using Gnus so for a beginner it will be easier
to get help.

Here is a good tutorial:

    https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusTutorial

You need to have your GMX data ready. Then just write
the Elisp forms exactly as in the tutorial but insert
your account data - e.g.,

    (setq mail-sources '((pop :server "pop.provider.org"
                              :user "you"
                              :password "secret")))

and a few (not many) others which are
also straightforward.

If you don't get it to work ask again and include your
configuration file and it won't take us long,
God willing.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-24  0:41 ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2016-02-24  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cptvlaze; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> Good afternoon. I've started using emacs today, so I'm a total newbie
> at this time.  I want to read my GMX email from emacs, using POP3 and
> rmail, but I just don't know where to start. I've read lots of wikis
> and manuals and I'm completely lost. Could somebody throw a bit of
> light over this?  Thank you.

There are two parts to this.  Firstly, there's setting up outgoing
mail.  That uses the part of Emacs called "Message" (which is the same
for GNUs and Rmail).  The second step is to setup Rmail for receiving
mail.

You need to find the names of the servers to communicate with.  You need
the SMTP server for outgoing mail and the POP3 server for incoming
mail.  If you're already using a mail program you can find that info in
it's settings.

Your init file maybe init.el or .emacs.  Either way, put the following
into it:

;; Firstly setup SMTP.
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
      smtpmail-smtp-server "your_smtp_server.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      user-mail-address "your_email_address@domain.com")
;; The line below puts sent items into an mbox file.
(setq mail-default-headers "FCC: ~/Mail/Sent")
;; This puts my name correctly in email To/From lines.
(setq user-full-name "Your Name")

;; Setup Rmail
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
      (cons (concat "pop3://"
		    "your_username"
		    "your_password"
		    "@your_pop3_server.com") nil))

I only use the "concat" above so I can separate out the various
elements.  If you omit the password then Emacs will ask you the first
time you recieve mail.

Finally, you can setup an ".authinfo" file.  This is for sending mail
with Message-mode.  It avoids entering the password.

Create a file called .authinfo in your ~/ directory.  It only needs to
contain one line:
"machine your_smtp_server.com login your_username port 587 password
your_password"

Many ISP prefer you to use port 587 for outgoing emails rather than port
25, which was the traditional port.  That's why I used "587" above in
.authinfo and smtpmail-smtp-service.  If your ISP is a traditionalist
and prefers 25 then replace those numbers with 25.

You can also setup encryption, see the manuals to Message and Rmail.
Evaluate the lines below with C-x C-e.
(info "(message) Top")
(info "(emacs) Rmail").

If you have a username with a "@" symbol in it that will activate a bug
in Rmail.  I have a solution for that if it's a problem.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-24  2:50   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-02-24  2:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Many ISP prefer you to use port 587 for outgoing emails rather than port
> 25, which was the traditional port.  That's why I used "587" above in
> .authinfo and smtpmail-smtp-service.  If your ISP is a traditionalist
> and prefers 25 then replace those numbers with 25.

And then there's Verizon which uses 465.

--
Nick

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-24  3:11     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-24  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Nick Dokos <ndokos@gmail.com> writes:

>> Many ISP prefer you to use port 587 for outgoing
>> emails rather than port 25, which was the
>> traditional port. That's why I used "587" above in
>> .authinfo and smtpmail-smtp-service. If your ISP is
>> a traditionalist and prefers 25 then replace those
>> numbers with 25.
>
> And then there's Verizon which uses 465.

... why do they do that?

Anyway, here, allow me to hit the big drum for the
favorite theme "code as an interface". As you see
below, changing port or any of the servers or just
about anything is super easy and done in one spot and
stop. Then evaluate and all set.

I mentioned I do Gnus, but depending on how
generalized the settings are chances are most (or
some) will be put to work by the other Emacs mail
clients as well, and actually seemingly unrelated
Emacs components as well. Why not? They are there.

Some people say Emacs is inconsistent. But not
entirely so! :)

(let*((username      "embe8573")
      (mail-name     username)
      (domain        "uu.se")
      (local-domain  (format "student.%s" domain))
      (pop-server    (format     "pop.%s" domain))
      (smtp-server   (format    "smtp.%s" domain))
      (smtp-port     25) )
  (setq smtpmail-local-domain local-domain)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-service smtp-port)
  (setq smtpmail-smtp-server  smtp-server)
  (setq user-full-name "Emanuel Berg")
  (setq user-mail-address (format "%s@%s" mail-name local-domain))
  (setq mail-sources `((pop :server    ,pop-server
                            :user      ,username
                            :password  ,*mail-password*) )))

PS. Observe the secret password which is not hidden
    but actually a *global-variable*. This allows you
    never to enter the password which sure is
    a relief, especially if you are used to that from
    the autologin of the ttys. But actually I might as
    well put it there in cleartext as you already read
    all my mails :))

--

@ 2016-02-24 14:38   ` cptvlaze
From: cptvlaze @ 2016-02-24 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for the quick response. Is wondering if it was strictly necessary to
enter my password inside my code, wouldn't it be a major security issue?
I also have a problem with my init file, as emacs can't detect it. I have
created one at ~/.emacs.d/init.el, but this folder is protected (only
accessible via su), which forces me to use emacs under sudo. Is there any way
to solve these problems?
Thanks again.

24. Feb 2016 01:41 por rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com:

@ 2016-02-24 14:46     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-02-24 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-24 15:34       ` cptvlaze
From: cptvlaze @ 2016-02-24 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I have no idea, but emacs made it like this. ~/.emacs.d is owned by root,
which can do whatever he pleases with it. No one out of him can do anything
with the folder. I thought it was a normal configuration made by the editor
itself. I can chown it, though. Could you give me the proper permissions that
I have to give it? (Intended for my personal laptop, which could be
eventually used by other people, etc.)

24. Feb 2016 15:46 por tomas@tuxteam.de:

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-24 16:41       ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2016-02-24 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> And then there's Verizon which uses 465.
>
> ... why do they do that?

$DEITY only knows. They used to use 587 but when they disallowed port 25
and went to 465, 587 went away as well. I have to play stunnel games in
order to have postfix work with 465. But it does not affect the vast
majority of their customers much: they set up outlook and forget it.

Wikipedia has some information

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTPS

but my suspicion is that they are doing it for "efficiency" reasons:
they don't have to worry about negotiating a TLS connection, the
way that they would have to with 587.

--
Nick

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-24 20:16         ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2016-02-24 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cptvlaze; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> I have no idea, but emacs made it like this. ~/.emacs.d is owned by
> root, which can do whatever he pleases with it.

When you first started Emacs did you do it using sudo from your own home
directory?  I maybe that could cause .emacs.d to be owned by root.

Anyway, I suggest the following, which is probably simpler than mucking
about with chown:
* In your normal user account copy the stuff you want out of .emacs.d.  You
probably only want init.el if you've just started.
* Sudo and delete .emacs.d.
* Recreate .emacs.d and copy init.el into it.
* Run Emacs and it should work from your normal account.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

@ 2016-02-24 20:28     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2016-02-24 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cptvlaze; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick response. Is wondering if it was strictly necessary to
> enter my password inside my code, wouldn't it be a major security
> issue?

It can be a security issue, though most graphical mail clients store it
in a config file somewhere, which is just as bad.

As I said, if it's a problem then don't mention passwords anywhere.  If
I remember correctly, if you don't have an authinfo file then
Message-mode will ask you the password the first time you send an email.
You can also make an authinfo.gpg file which is the encrypted version of
authinfo, you can read about that on the web.

For rmail just don't include the password:
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
      (cons (concat "pop3://"
		    "your_username"
		    "@your_pop3_server.com") nil))

Rmail will prompt you for the password when you receive mail.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

@ 2016-02-24 23:47     ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-24 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick response.

Hint: use citing (quoting) just like we do and it'll
be even faster and more pleasant to answer your posts.
And this will be even easier for you if you get Rmail
or Gnus working, tho what I remember even Hotmail in
the 90s did that...

> Is wondering if it was strictly necessary to enter
> my password inside my code, wouldn't it be a major
> security issue?

*Laughter*

No, that is entirely optional!

I disabled the login password to my computer many
years ago and a couple of years later did the same
with Internet and mail login.

I actually don't know how big a security issue it is.
Certainly if the computer gets stolen, but if that
happens, it would be such a waste if the thief wasn't
able to use all my awesome tools :)

As for the mails, I already have them on the disk so
with the login password disabled I don't see the mail
ditto doing much good save for perhaps the thief being
able to spoof my accounts.

But this is all with the assumption the computer gets
stolen physically by a computer literate thief.
This is so unlikely I don't worry one bit.

From a "remote" point of view, it would be interesting
to know how much an issue it is and how it could be
exploited. Does it matter that much if you enter the
data from your fingertips or if a program does it
for you?

One way of not having to have it in text is to have
a function that calculates it each time. It would be
virtually the same only one more obstacle.

> I also have a problem with my init file, as emacs
> can't detect it. I have created one at
> ~/.emacs.d/init.el, but this folder is protected
> (only accessible via su), which forces me to use
> emacs under sudo. Is there any way to solve
> these problems?

It shouldn't be like that. How did you install Emacs?
What Unix/Linux distro are you on? Reinstallation is
an option.

--

@ 2016-02-24 23:56       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-24 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

>> Thanks for the quick response. Is wondering if it
>> was strictly necessary to enter my password inside
>> my code, wouldn't it be a major security issue?
>
> It can be a security issue, though most graphical
> mail clients store it in a config file somewhere,
> which is just as bad.

"Security thru obscurity" isn't as secure as giving
authentication each time from your brain and
fingertips only.

Question is, just how much more insecure is it?

If you have to give your password many times a day
this is a frustration and time waste trade-off with
security. Unless you enjoy typing the password, of
course :)

Also, consider people can wire your keyboard or
shoulder-surf as you type. Especially if you do it
repeatedly in a public place, it is even more shaky.

All in all, I consider this cloak-and-dagger game
exaggerated. It is the self-image that one is so
important and everyone else so corrupted (and
brilliant) they'd do anything to get ones data. I have
lived many lives (just like Mdm. Kollontai) but I have
yet to see this scenario realize.

--

@ 2016-02-26 18:46       ` cptvlaze
From: cptvlaze @ 2016-02-26 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Following your code, emacs will return me the following error:

At startup:

'load-with-code-conversion: Symbol's value as variable is void:
smtpmail-smtp-server'

...and trying to send my email, after asking me for my server username, email
and password...

'smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: 550-Requested action not taken: mailbox
unavailable
550 Sender address is not allowed.'

Any clue?

25. Feb 2016 00:47 by embe8573@student.uu.se:

@ 2016-02-26 19:57         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-26 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:]

> Following your code, emacs will return me the
> following error:
>
> At startup:
>
> 'load-with-code-conversion: Symbol's value as
> variable is void: smtpmail-smtp-server'

Try to put this above the code and have that eval'd as
well:

    (require 'smtpmail)

> ...and trying to send my email, after asking me for
> my server username, email and password...
>
> 'smtpmail-send-it: Sending failed: 550-Requested
> action not taken: mailbox unavailable 550 Sender
> address is not allowed.'

That means you have either sent to an bogus target or
your ISP don't allow you to send mails.

But I think the problem is still with your
configuration... Examine it more closely and ask again
if you don't know.

--

@ 2016-02-26 23:56           ` cptvlaze
From: cptvlaze @ 2016-02-26 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

It does not seem to work :( I'm attaching my code, just for revision...

;; Firstly setup SMTP.
(require 'smtpmail)
(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
      smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      user-mail-address "foo@foomail")
;; The line below puts sent items into an mbox file.
(setq mail-default-headers "FCC: ~/Mail/Sent")
;; This puts my name correctly in email To/From lines.
(setq user-full-name "Fooname Barname")

;; Setup Rmail
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
      (cons (concat "pop3://"
                    "foo@foomail.com"
                    "foopassword"
                    "@mail.foomail.com") nil))

---------
Now I'm getting:

load-with-code-conversion: Invalid read syntax: ")"
Ah, and emacs tells me to 'Send Mail via Gnus Mail'. I guess this code
is for gnus, isn't it?
Thank you for your attention!

26. Feb 2016 20:57 por embe8573@student.uu.se:

@ 2016-02-27  0:06             ` John Mastro
From: John Mastro @ 2016-02-27  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org; +Cc: cptvlaze

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> wrote:
> It does not seem to work :( I'm attaching my code, just for revision...
>
> ;; Firstly setup SMTP.
> (require 'smtpmail)
> (setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
>       smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com"
>       smtpmail-smtp-service 587
>       user-mail-address "foo@foomail")
> ;; The line below puts sent items into an mbox file.
> (setq mail-default-headers "FCC: ~/Mail/Sent")
> ;; This puts my name correctly in email To/From lines.
> (setq user-full-name "Fooname Barname")

I don't know anything about POP3 or Rmail, but you have an extra right
paren:

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it) <<<<<<
      smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com"
      smtpmail-smtp-service 587
      user-mail-address "foo@foomail")

Hope that helps

--
john

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-27  0:44             ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-27  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> ;; Firstly setup SMTP. (require 'smtpmail) (setq
> send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com"
> smtpmail-smtp-service 587       user-mail-address
> "foo@foomail")

Mr. Mastro already mentioned the erroneous right
parenthesis which is what in particular is causing
your problem at this point.

In general it is better to do `setq' for every
variable, i.e.,

    (setq send-mail-function   'smtpmail-send-it)
    (setq smtpmail-smtp-server "mail.foomail.com")
    ;; and so on

The exception to the rule is when the same data
appears in several variables, then you shouldn't have
(for consistency reasons) the data several times but
instead, e.g.,

    (setq gnus-extra-headers   '(To Cc Keywords Gcc Newsgroups X-Spam-Flag)
          nnmail-extra-headers gnus-extra-headers)

(But you can have several setq there as well.)

> ;; The line below puts sent items into
> an mbox file. (setq mail-default-headers "FCC:
> ~/Mail/Sent")

In Gnus you can also have a designated archive group
for sent material, e.g.

    (setq gnus-message-archive-group "nnml:mail.sent")

> ;; This puts my name correctly in email
> To/From lines. (setq user-full-name "Fooname Barname")

We are waiting for that to happen :)

> Ah, and emacs tells me to 'Send Mail via Gnus Mail'.
> I guess this code is for gnus, isn't it?

Gnus can use it but so can Rmail and just
about anything.

So you can focus on getting all data right. Once they
are, you should be a stone-throw away from getting
either Rmail, Gnus, or for that matter any other mail
client to work with just another few lines of
application-specific configuration.

> Thank you for your attention!

Thank us by getting Rmail or Gnus up with at proper
To:, and then use proper citing/quoting in all your
mails, i.e. not top-posting...

--

@ 2016-02-27  4:05               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-27  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> writes:

> I don't know anything about POP3 or Rmail

Rmail is a mail-reader which you can hook to your
mailbox by means of the POP or IMAP protocols (Post
Office Protocol and Internet Message Access Protocol).

It is an Emacs interface to using those protocols and
a mail server, and then having the result
organized, basically.

You can also use Rmail as an interface to send mails -
you can use the data displayed by Rmail to populate
a message buffer, and then send it. But the message
mode is actually Gnus!

RMS, big-time mail writer and Rmail user, said about
it that:

    Rmail is the primary Emacs mail-reader. I don't
    know how many people currently use it, but I will
    ignore any suggestion to treat it as unimportant.

Well, no one is saying Rmail is unimportant but
compared to Gnus it is very primitive even if you
don't consider everything else that comes with Gnus
that doesn't come with Rmail. For example Rmail stores
every mail in a single file! This makes it a pain
doing anything with it with common shell tools. It is
very un-Unixy which isn't a matter of principle but an
obstacle dealing with it. So Gnus is, apart from
everything else it does which is alot, a much more
powerful mail-reader than Rmail. The word "primary"
is... well, something! as both Gnus and Rmail comes
with Emacs out of the box.

Rmail should not be confused with the shell tool rmail
which has to do with ancient UUCP technology.

The POPs including POP3 are 80s protocols on the
TCP/IP stack that fetch mail batch style, by default
deleting them on the mail server when done downloading
the to the disk.

Compared to IMAP POP is much simpler which is why it
is still around. IMAP supports simultaneous
connections to a mailbox, and also a mail directory
structure which POP doesn't.

IMAP can also do stuff to the material on the server
while POP basically gets the data and then deletes it
(on the server).

Any questions?

:)

PS. When Lumumba was campaigning in Congo he always
    ended his speeches with that question. There were
    never any questions, because if they were, the
    person who asked was beaten up after the meeting
    was concluded.

--

@ 2016-02-27  8:28                 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-02-27  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-27  9:55                   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-02-27  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2016 09:28:42 +0100
> From: <tomas@tuxteam.de>
>
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 05:05:21AM +0100, Emanuel Berg wrote:
>
> > [...]                      For example Rmail stores
> > every mail in a single file! This makes it a pain
> > doing anything with it with common shell tools. It is
> > very un-Unixy which isn't a matter of principle but an
> > obstacle dealing with it [...]
>
> I doubt you know what you are talking about.

He doesn't.  (Rmail doesn't store each mail in a separate file.)

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-28  2:11                   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-28  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

> myself a fan of maildir (one file per message plus
> hiding metadata in the file name -- I just don't
> like that) -- but it's as Unixy as it gets (qmail,
> D.J. Bernstein, ca 1990-some).

Development on UNIX in particular started in 1969.

The first manual was published internally in 1971.
But the by-now famous man pages aren't like the manual
you get when you buy a decibel meter at Crooks"R"Us.
It is as much a definition and specification of the
system as a documentation thereof.

UNIX was officially announced in 1973.

The Unix file system is based on inodes to contain
file attributes, which lend itself to elaborate file
systems, including nested directory hierarchies...

The manual, the man pages, (not) coincidentally, are
not stored in a single file -

    ls /usr/share/man

- but are a bunch of (g)roff files which are displayed
by a pager, a precursor to the system of PDFs and
LaTeX, as well as the web browsers that does the same
with HTML and CSS to display a web page.

The whole UNIX, by now GNU/Linux toolchain, is also
based on operations on text, which are stored in
files. If everything that was associated by purpose or
form would be in single files, you could virtually
throw away three quarters of the tools as they would
be totally hampered anyway.

--

@ 2016-02-28 17:52                     ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2016-02-28 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> The whole UNIX, by now GNU/Linux toolchain, is also
> based on operations on text, which are stored in
> files. If everything that was associated by purpose or
> form would be in single files, you could virtually
> throw away three quarters of the tools as they would
> be totally hampered anyway.

I'll let maildir advocates comment on whether maildir is "Unixy" or not.

Regarding Gnus vs Rmail, what's the difference?  Rmail uses multiple
mbox files and Gnus use multiple mbox files by default.  They're both
the same if you're tinkering with mail using command line tools.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Gnus (was: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail))
@ 2016-02-29  0:20                       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-29  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Regarding Gnus vs Rmail, what's the difference?
> Rmail uses multiple mbox files and Gnus use multiple
> mbox files by default. They're both the same if
> you're tinkering with mail using command line tools.

Gnus is a universe in itself - much like Emacs,
actually. It is a nexus for virtually all computer
communication that you can do! - an absolute wonder to
behold - one of the top 10 programs/systems ever
written (with Unix/C and Lisp/Emacs as tied #1).

I quick look at the Gnus manual isn't enough by far to
grasp the scope: "The length of these documents varies
from about 500 pages to about 550 pages, depending on
which version of the manual you choose." [1]

I'm right now using Gnus for RSS, Usenet (e.g.,
rec.bicycles.tech), mailing lists (thru Gmane), blogs
(ditto Gwene), mail (backend nnml), as well as
a Gnus-to-blog project I currently work
on: Blogomatic!

So far, I've not added any contents, only two test
articles, but they work great - with zero metadata,
and with HTML that validates perfectly, the files even
sensibly indented and everything SEO'd with the
category and title showing up lowercased in the URL.

To add an article, I simply mail it to myself, then
nnml does splitting to the group blogomatic iff the
first subject word is - you guessed it - "blogomatic".
Then I can use Gnus' sorting, searching, editing, and
so on to access the material.

Here is the zsh that does mail -> HTML:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/blogomatic

And here is the PHP - i.e., if executed, the blog:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/blogomatic/index.php

There is just an endless list what you can do
with Gnus. For example, did you hear of:

    W r

        Do a Caesar rotate (rot13) on the article
        buffer (gnus-summary-caesar-message).
        Unreadable articles that tell you to read them
        with Caesar rotate or rot13. (Typically
        offensive jokes and such.)

        It’s commonly called “rot13” because each
        letter is rotated 13 positions in the
        alphabet, e.g., ‘B’ (letter #2) -> ‘O’ (letter
        #15). It is sometimes referred to as “Caesar
        rotate” because Caesar is rumored to have
        employed this form of, uh, somewhat
        weak encryption.

    W m

        Morse decode the article buffer
        (gnus-summary-morse-message).

?

Here is what I did with Gnus so far, save for
communicating:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/gnus/

[1] http://www.gnus.org/manual.html

--

@ 2016-02-29  0:55                       ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-29  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Regarding Gnus vs Rmail, what's the difference?
> Rmail uses multiple mbox files and Gnus use multiple
> mbox files by default. They're both the same if
> you're tinkering with mail using command line tools.

I forgot, I have a Gnus "fan" home page! I did it many
years ago so obviously I wouldn't phrase it exactly
like that today. But in general I have to give the
bloke some credit :)

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/gnus/

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Gnus (was: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail))
@ 2016-02-29  2:31                         ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2016-02-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
>> Regarding Gnus vs Rmail, what's the difference?
>> Rmail uses multiple mbox files and Gnus use multiple
>> mbox files by default. They're both the same if
>> you're tinkering with mail using command line tools.
>
> Gnus is a universe in itself - much like Emacs,

Nothing of what you say across 3 emails addresses the point I made
above.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
@ 2016-02-29  8:47                         ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2016-02-29  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Gnus (was: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail))
@ 2016-03-02  2:28                           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-03-02  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

>>> Regarding Gnus vs Rmail, what's the difference?
>>> Rmail uses multiple mbox files and Gnus use
>>> multiple mbox files by default. They're both the
>>> same if you're tinkering with mail using command
>>> line tools.
>>
>> Gnus is a universe in itself - much like Emacs
>
> Nothing of what you say across 3 emails addresses
> the point I made above.

The difference between Rmail and Gnus is that:

- Rmail is an application with a limited scope:
  virtually an Emacs interface which allows you to
  fetch mails from a mail server and then have them
  displayed and browsable.

- Gnus is an ever-expanding system of programs which
  by now encompasses huge parts of all human
  communication that at this point is done with
  computers, offering multiple backends and methods
  available for each and every one of them, including
  mails (also the compose part which Rmail doesn't do
  - as for the fetching/organizing there are several
  backends and surplus programs considerably more
  advanced than anything Rmail does, e.g. scoring) -
  Gnus also comes with support for listbots (Gmane,
  the outstanding mail-to-NNTP gateway which is
  "Usenet 2.0"), plain Usenet (also NNTP, still
  available and carrying unique material), blogs
  (Gwene, also a gateway), and RSS - with integration
  with web browsers and many other odd but interesting
  features, and with many more to come.