joaotavora@gmail.com (João Távora) writes: > The misbehaving propagated silently and I came across this using M-x > package-install RET ... RET, which magically compiles a 0-byte package. I had same problem when using package-install with restricted network connection (or bad network conditions), sometimes I got empty buffer without any error where as it should fail. > I think the protocol for url-retrieve-synchornously could be > revised. Its users seem to expect it to return nil or at least a > non-buffer if something went wrong, but that's clearly not what happened > here. Perhaps it should error. I agree. So I proposed a patch for this: