all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Help with BBDB configuration
@ 2017-02-17 14:57 Narendra Joshi
From: Narendra Joshi @ 2017-02-17 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gnu Emacs Help

Hi,

I have recently started using Gnus for email and use BBDB for contact
management. One thing that annoys me is BBDB constantly asking me for
new names for the same email addresses. I would like to turn off this
feature. I would like to keep the first name or maybe add these new
names without being prompted.

I would also like to turn BBDB off in RSS feeds. BBDB adds names against
names when I am reading articles from any RSS feed in Emacs.

--
Narendra Joshi

* Re: Help with BBDB configuration
@ 2017-02-17 16:54 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2017-02-17 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Narendra Joshi <narendraj9@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently started using Gnus for email and use BBDB for contact
> management. One thing that annoys me is BBDB constantly asking me for
> new names for the same email addresses. I would like to turn off this
> feature. I would like to keep the first name or maybe add these new
> names without being prompted.
>
> I would also like to turn BBDB off in RSS feeds. BBDB adds names against
> names when I am reading articles from any RSS feed in Emacs.

BBDB provides many configuration options for controlling this behavior.
Check the docstrings of these options:

bbdb-mua-auto-update-p
bbdb-update-records-p
bbdb-add-name