all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#26116: Changes to layout of manual/ directory for web pages
@ 2017-03-15 22:22 Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-03-15 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 26116; +Cc: Nicolas Petton

Package: emacs

Apologies for just noticing this. It seems like the layout of the
manual/ directory for the Emacs web pages changed in an (IMO) odd way a
few months ago, and I'm wondering if it was intentional.

There used to be pages like this for all the manuals:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/mairix.html

A short index page that links to the various formats for each manual.

A few months ago, most of those pages were changed to look like this:
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/ses.html

No longer an index page, but a duplicate of the html_mono/ version.
Was this a mistake?

This change left no index pages for the different versions of the
various manuals. It looks like (based on the log messages in the CVS
repo) this was reported as a bug to the GNU webmasters, and they added
some new index pages (emacs-formats.html etc) in an attempt to fix this,
but only for the 3 main manuals.

Should this all just be reverted?

As it stands, I can't see where the html_node/ versions for the non-main
manuals are linked anymore, and the (large) html_mono pages are
duplicated, and pointed to by default.

* bug#26116: Changes to layout of manual/ directory for web pages
@ 2017-03-15 22:30 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-03-15 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 26116; +Cc: Nicolas Petton

PS not directly related, but on this subject: the manual/texi/, ps/, and
pdf/ directories don't seem to have been updated for 25.1.
IIRC admin.el's make-manuals-dist can help with some of that.

* bug#26116: Changes to layout of manual/ directory for web pages
@ 2017-03-15 22:41 ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2017-03-15 22:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, 26116

Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> writes:

Hi Glenn,

> Apologies for just noticing this. It seems like the layout of the
> manual/ directory for the Emacs web pages changed in an (IMO) odd way a
> few months ago, and I'm wondering if it was intentional.

I don't remember doing this, and if I somehow did it, it was
unintentional.

> Should this all just be reverted?

I guess so.

Cheers,
Nico

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* bug#26116: Changes to layout of manual/ directory for web pages
@ 2017-03-20 11:27 ` Nicolas Petton
From: Nicolas Petton @ 2017-03-20 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris, 26116; +Cc: Nicolas Petton