all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* setting line-length for mediawiki-mode?
@ 2017-03-16 16:51 Sharon Kimble
From: Sharon Kimble @ 2017-03-16 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-emacs

I'm trying to set the line length for mediawiki mode, I'm using this -

  (toggle-truncate-lines 0)                    ; do not truncate
  (abbrev-mode 1)
  (set-fill-column 65000)
  (auto-fill-mode 0)

But I want it to be mediawiki specific, but how do I do it please?

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
DrugFacts = http://www.drugfacts.org.uk
Debian 8.6, fluxbox 1.3.5-2, emacs 25.1.1.1

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: setting line-length for mediawiki-mode?
@ 2017-03-16 17:51 ` hector
From: hector @ 2017-03-16 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sharon Kimble; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 04:51:10PM +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:

> I'm trying to set the line length for mediawiki mode, I'm using this -

>   (toggle-truncate-lines 0)                    ; do not truncate
>   (abbrev-mode 1)
>   (set-fill-column 65000)
>   (auto-fill-mode 0)
>
> But I want it to be mediawiki specific, but how do I do it please?

I think you could use a hook if this mode uses hooks.
Add to your .emacs

(add-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook
  '(lambda ()

@ 2017-03-16 19:08   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2017-03-16 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>   '(lambda ()

Running for the Useless Use of Quote award?

* Re: setting line-length for mediawiki-mode?
@ 2017-03-16 20:52     ` Alex Kost
From: Alex Kost @ 2017-03-16 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hector; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier (2017-03-16 15:08 -0400) wrote:

>>   '(lambda ()
>
> Running for the Useless Use of Quote award?

To make it clear: Stefan wanted to say that there is no point to quote
lambda; see <https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/QuotedLambda> for details.

I would also advise to avoid putting lambdas in hooks.  The reason is:
what if you would want to remove it from hook?  If you added a function
name to a hook, it would be much easier to remove it.  For example:

(defun some-stuff-for-mediawiki ()
  (toggle-truncate-lines 0)
  (abbrev-mode 1)
  (set-fill-column 65000)
  (auto-fill-mode 0))

(add-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook 'some-stuff-for-mediawiki)

Now if you want to remove this function from the hook, you can do it
simply by evaluating:

(remove-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook 'some-stuff-for-mediawiki)

--
Alex

* Re: setting line-length for mediawiki-mode?
@ 2017-03-16 21:20       ` hector
From: hector @ 2017-03-16 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 11:52:36PM +0300, Alex Kost wrote:
> Stefan Monnier (2017-03-16 15:08 -0400) wrote:
>
> >>   '(lambda ()
> >
> > Running for the Useless Use of Quote award?
>
> To make it clear: Stefan wanted to say that there is no point to quote
> lambda; see <https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/QuotedLambda> for details.

Thanks for the explanation. That's what I thought.
Very cryptic though :-)

Blame it on the Emacs manual 23.2 (yes, I know). It's been fixed in
newer versions.

> I would also advise to avoid putting lambdas in hooks.  The reason is:
> what if you would want to remove it from hook?  If you added a function
> name to a hook, it would be much easier to remove it.  For example:
>
> (defun some-stuff-for-mediawiki ()
>   (toggle-truncate-lines 0)
>   (abbrev-mode 1)
>   (set-fill-column 65000)
>   (auto-fill-mode 0))
>
> (add-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook 'some-stuff-for-mediawiki)
>
> Now if you want to remove this function from the hook, you can do it
> simply by evaluating:
>
> (remove-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook 'some-stuff-for-mediawiki)

Got it.

* Re: setting line-length for mediawiki-mode?
@ 2017-03-17 19:45       ` Nathanael Schweers
From: Nathanael Schweers @ 2017-03-17 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Kost; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, hector

Alex Kost <alezost@gmail.com> writes:

Just a small remark: If I recall correctly, it’s better to
function-quote function arguments, so this code:
> (add-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook 'some-stuff-for-mediawiki)
should rather look like this:

(add-hook 'mediawiki-mode-hook #'some-stuff-for-mediawiki)

This has the benefit of adding some compiler warning in case it cannot
be known that the function will be defined.

If I’m not entirely mistaken, it might even be good for performance, as
the function value of the passed symbol (in the first form) has to be
looked up every time it’s called, while the second form gives the
function object directly.  Take this last piece of “advice“ with a grain
of salt though.

In any case, #' is read syntax for function-quote, just as ' is read
syntax for quote.

-- Nathanael Schweers