all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Package updating, and behavior of hangs
@ 2018-11-16 21:46 Eric Abrahamsen
       [not found] ` <CAMkt-MsGgRZbDDGRGFhmhEDf_zbGusZMaahVACt9bAixiwFv+A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-11-16 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I get hangs a lot when updating `package-list', and find the bailout
behavior weird.

My `package-archives' looks like this:

(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
 ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
 ("org" . "http://orgmode.org/elpa/"))

The "org" entry is the one mostly responsible for my problems. It hangs
a lot, and sometimes I have to "C-g" out of it, and then
`package--downloads-in-progress' is left with the "melpa" and "gnu"
entries, and "Package Menu:Loading" in the status bar, and I can't do
anything with the packages.

If I `list-processes', I see:

elpa.gnu.org -- failed *http elpa.gnu.org:443* -- Main (network connection to elpa.gnu.org)
melpa.org -- failed *http melpa.org:443* -- Main (network connection to melpa.org)
orgmode.org<1> -- open -- -- Main (network connection to orgmode.org)

If I "d" on the orgmode process it just goes away, nothing else happens.
If I "d" on either of the other two, I get something like this in *Messages*:

error in process sentinel: Error retrieving:
https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents (error connection-failed
"deleted " :host "elpa.gnu.org" :service 443)

Then I "d" on the other one, get the same sentinel error, then get
"Package update done", and the *Packages* buffer finally refreshes and I
have control of that again.

I don't really know how this should behave, but it seems like there
ought to be a better recovery mechanism for timeouts...

Eric

* Re: Package updating, and behavior of hangs
       [not found] ` <CAMkt-MsGgRZbDDGRGFhmhEDf_zbGusZMaahVACt9bAixiwFv+A@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-11-17  0:07   ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-11-17  0:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lachlan Audas; +Cc: emacs-devel

On 11/17/18 09:42 AM, Lachlan Audas wrote:
> Perhaps, there should no contact/slow options, when you set the package
> server,  for example,  time_out, min transfer_speed, backup_server.,. Etc
>
> Lachlan

[Replying to list]

I've also noticed that if I don't C-g on the "org" update process, it
will eventually time out on its own. But then I'm left in the same state
as if I'd C-g'd on the process to being with.