Eli Zaretskii writes: >> From: Andy Moreton >> Date: Thu, 02 May 2019 16:43:31 +0100 >> >> > So yes, I think Noam is right, and 'undecided' is a better alternative here. >> >> That is arguing for the existing code, which does not work correctly. > > No, the existing code simply uses the undecoded string. > > What I argue for is to do this: > > diff --git a/lisp/gnus/mm-view.el b/lisp/gnus/mm-view.el > index 1e1d264b99..173ebfab48 100644 > --- a/lisp/gnus/mm-view.el > +++ b/lisp/gnus/mm-view.el > @@ -475,7 +475,7 @@ mm-display-inline-fontify > (charset > (mm-decode-string text charset)) > (t > - text))) > + (mm-decode-string text 'undecided)))) > (let ((font-lock-verbose nil) ; font-lock is a bit too verbose. > (enable-local-variables nil)) > ;; We used to set font-lock-mode-hook to nil to avoid enabling > >> I am disinclined to look any further at this, as nobody else appears to >> be running the existing code before commenting, or testing the proposed >> patch. > > Please don't be offended, there's no intent to offend you here. Your > efforts are greatly appreciated. We are just discussing a small > change to what you were proposing, see above. > > Or are you saying that using undecided as above doesn't do the job? > > (Sorry, I don't use Gnus, so to be able to reproduce the problem and > test a proposed solution I need detailed instructions, I cannot easily > do it myself without investing an inordinate amount of time.) FWIW, I use Gnus, and your suggested change to mm-display-inline-fontify fixes the inline display of the patch in the OP for me. BTW, the last two cond branches can be merged following your change: