On Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:24:41 +0200 Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> From: Stephen Berman >> Cc: Dmitry Gutov , juri@linkov.net, larsi@gnus.org, >> 38044@debbugs.gnu.org >> Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:15:21 +0100 [...] >> Since one of the desiderata of this command, perhaps even the main >> one, is that it should act on the revision ID at point, how about >> making just `C-x v L' do that if it recognizes the word at point as >> a revision ID? > > We could do that, yes. I haven't found a useful way to do this. >> If this is deemed to unreliable, it could be conditioned by a user >> option, or perhaps (though more annoying) by asking for >> confirmation. > > Fine with me, assuming the rest of the proposal is accepted. On reflection, both of these alternatives don't seem convenient enough to justify them. There is, however, another option that is convenient (at least to me) and easy to implement. Most of the time of I want to look up the log entry and/or diff of the revision ID at point the current buffer is not a version-controlled buffer (typically it's a Gnus buffer), so the default directory is wrong and I have to manually change to the version-controlled root directory. For me this is almost always the Emacs master branch, so it would be convenient if typing `C-1 C-x v L' offered this directory as a default, as a user option. The patch below does this. The way vc-print-root-log sets the root directory is also done exactly the same by vc-root-version-diff, vc-diff-mergebase, vc-root-diff and vc-log-mergebase, so perhaps these commands should also be changed to offer a user-specified default. I haven't used any of these yet, so I don't know if this is as convenient for them as it is for vc-print-root-log. Steve Berman