all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to install emacs-w3m via melpa?
@ 2020-02-17 20:03 Richard Cobbe
From: Richard Cobbe @ 2020-02-17 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to install emacs-w3m for emacs 26.1, running on MacOS.
According to the emacs wiki page for w3m
(https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/emacs-w3m), there's a convenience package
in MELPA, and looking for it on the MELPA website suggests that it does
indeed exist: http://melpa.org/#/w3m

But when I start emacs and run M-x package-list-packages, I don't see it in
the list of available packages.  I'm assuming that I've got something
misconfigured here, but I'm not familiar enough with the package system to
know where to start looking.

The relevant details from my .emacs file:

    (require 'package)
    (add-to-list 'package-archives
                 '("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
    (package-initialize)

And, if it's relevant, the value of package-selected-packages is

    (cargo rust-mode ledger-mode haskell-mode auctex)

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Richard

* Re: How to install emacs-w3m via melpa?
@ 2020-02-17 22:29 ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-17 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Cobbe wrote:

> But when I start emacs and run M-x
> package-list-packages, I don't see it in the
> list of available packages. I'm assuming that
> I've got something misconfigured here, but
> I'm not familiar enough with the package
> system to know where to start looking.
>
> The relevant details from my .emacs file:
>
>     (require 'package)
>     (add-to-list 'package-archives
>                  '("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
>     (package-initialize)

It is in MELPA, try this URL instead:

    http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: How to install emacs-w3m via melpa?
@ 2020-02-17 23:30   ` Richard Cobbe
From: Richard Cobbe @ 2020-02-17 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:29:25PM +0100, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> Richard Cobbe wrote:
>
> > But when I start emacs and run M-x
> > package-list-packages, I don't see it in the
> > list of available packages. I'm assuming that
> > I've got something misconfigured here, but
> > I'm not familiar enough with the package
> > system to know where to start looking.
> >
> > The relevant details from my .emacs file:
> >
> >     (require 'package)
> >     (add-to-list 'package-archives
> >                  '("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
> >     (package-initialize)
>
> It is in MELPA, try this URL instead:
>
>     http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/

That worked fine, thanks!

I don't see that URL in any of the melpa docs or on the relevant page on
the emacs wiki -- is that a long-term replacement for the other URL?  Or is
it simply a stable-vs-bleeding-edge difference?

@ 2020-02-17 23:43     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-17 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Cobbe wrote:

> I don't see that URL in any of the melpa docs
> or on the relevant page on the emacs wiki --
> is that a long-term replacement for the other
> URL? Or is it simply
> a stable-vs-bleeding-edge difference?

Good questions, I actually don't know and just
found it in my own config file for the m/elpas:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/emacs-init/elpa.el

--

@ 2020-02-18  0:03     ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-02-18  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Cobbe <rcobbe@rcobbe.net> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2020 at 11:29:25PM +0100, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>> Richard Cobbe wrote:
>>
>> > But when I start emacs and run M-x
>> > package-list-packages, I don't see it in the
>> > list of available packages. I'm assuming that
>> > I've got something misconfigured here, but
>> > I'm not familiar enough with the package
>> > system to know where to start looking.
>> >
>> > The relevant details from my .emacs file:
>> >
>> >     (require 'package)
>> >     (add-to-list 'package-archives
>> >                  '("melpa-stable" . "http://stable.melpa.org/packages/"))
>> >     (package-initialize)
>>
>> It is in MELPA, try this URL instead:
>>
>>     http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/
>
> That worked fine, thanks!
>
> I don't see that URL in any of the melpa docs or on the relevant page on
> the emacs wiki -- is that a long-term replacement for the other URL?  Or is
> it simply a stable-vs-bleeding-edge difference?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Richard

You were previously using MELPA Stable, which doesn't seem to contain
many of the packages available on regular MELPA, including the one you
were trying to install, w3m.  Following Emanuel's advice, in effect you
just switched from "melpa-stable" to "melpa".  It appears that
melpa.milkbox.net is an old alias for the current melpa.org address.

Lastly, I recommend using https rather than http if your Emacs was built
with GnuTLS support.  See https://melpa.org/#/getting-started for more
details and how to do that.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to install emacs-w3m via melpa?
@ 2020-02-18  0:51       ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-18  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amin Bandali wrote:

> Lastly, I recommend using https rather than
> http if your Emacs was built with
> GnuTLS support.

OK, then it should be

(setq package-archives
      '(( "gnu elpa" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
        ( "melpa"    . "https://melpa.org/packages/" )))

--

@ 2020-02-18  2:27         ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-02-18  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Amin Bandali wrote:
>
>> Lastly, I recommend using https rather than
>> http if your Emacs was built with
>> GnuTLS support.
>
> OK, then it should be
>
> (setq package-archives
>       '(( "gnu elpa" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
>         ( "melpa"    . "https://melpa.org/packages/" )))

Except that it still hardcodes (insecure) http for the GNU ELPA archive.
To check if GnuTLS is available, you can check if (gnutls-available-p)
returns non-nil, and if so then use https for the package archives.  On
emacs >= 26.1, `package-archives' does this for the GNU ELPA entry that
it comes with out of the box.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: How to install emacs-w3m via melpa?
@ 2020-02-18  4:32           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2020-02-18  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amin Bandali wrote:

> Except that it still hardcodes (insecure) http
> for the GNU ELPA archive.

OK, I thought what you said refered to
MELPA only. But now then:

(setq package-archives
      '(( "gnu elpa" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
        ( "melpa"    . "https://melpa.org/packages/" )))

> To check if GnuTLS is available, you can
> check if (gnutls-available-p) returns
> non-nil, and if so then use https for the
> package archives. On emacs >= 26.1,
> `package-archives' does this for the GNU ELPA
> entry that it comes with out of the box.

I think I'll gamble that it's available :)