On 21 May 2020, tomas@tuxteam.de wrote: >On Thu, May 21, 2020 at 01:07:41AM +0300, Dmitry Gutov wrote: >> On 21.05.2020 01:00, Karl Fogel wrote: >> >>In this we're, again, similar to other professional software. >> >Well, I'm not sure exactly what "professional software" means in this context, but if it means "expects the user to make sustained investment", then I agree. >> >> I don't know, Blender? Which has reportedly made some strides in >> usability lately. Other 3D editors and associated programs. > >I keep seeing Blender mentioned here. One thing which should >be considered is that Blender was "born" 1994. At that time, >Emacs was around its 19th version and was already 18 -- so >allowed to drink (in some jurisdictions, that is). For those who would like to learn more about Blender's efforts to improve its usability for "professional" users -- in this case, helped by someone who is literally a professional user -- there's a Libre Lounge podcast episode that talks about this: https://librelounge.org/episodes/36-david-revoy-on-pepper--carrot-and-free-culture.html The interviewee is David Revoy, author of the webcomic series "Pepper and Carrot". (Our very own Christopher Lemmer Webber is one of the two co-hosts of this episode; the other is libre sofware/culture activist Serge Wroclawski.) I'm not sure how the lessons there might apply to Emacs, but someone else might think of something I didn't. Libre Lounge is, naturally, available in entirely Free audio formats (though, alas, I don't think there's a transcript available). Best regards, -Karl