all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* tramp complains about host not in localhost regexp when using nextcloud
@ 2021-07-19 18:52 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-07-19 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm sure I'm doing something silly but I am unable to use tramp to
connect to a nextcloud instance.  Emacs complains that the host name
'does not match ...' where '...' is the local host regex.

I have tried: /nextcloud:user@cloud.xxx.org: which I am *convinced*
(famous last words) worked before for me.

My emacs is from git, up to date from sometime last week, using native
compilation.

So, what am I doing wrong or what have I forgotten to do?

Thank you,
eric

--
Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.50 & org 9.4.6 on Debian 11.0

* Re: tramp complains about host not in localhost regexp when using nextcloud
@ 2021-07-20 14:31 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-07-20 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello,

Hi Eric,

> I'm sure I'm doing something silly but I am unable to use tramp to
> connect to a nextcloud instance.  Emacs complains that the host name
> 'does not match ...' where '...' is the local host regex.
>
> I have tried: /nextcloud:user@cloud.xxx.org: which I am *convinced*
> (famous last words) worked before for me.

This is silly, indeed. The nextcloud method shall not care about
tramp-local-host-regexp.

The complaint comes from tramp-compute-multi-hops. Have you tried
multi-hops, with nextcloud?

> My emacs is from git, up to date from sometime last week, using native
> compilation.
>
> So, what am I doing wrong or what have I forgotten to do?

This calls for traces. Set tramp-verbose to 6, rerun your test, and show
the Tramp debug buffer. Preferably, from a new Emacs instance, started
with "emacs -Q".

> Thank you,
> eric

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp complains about host not in localhost regexp when using nextcloud
@ 2021-07-21 11:03   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-07-21 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Michael,

thank you for responding to my puzzled query!

On Tuesday, 20 Jul 2021 at 16:31, Michael Albinus wrote:
> The complaint comes from tramp-compute-multi-hops. Have you tried
> multi-hops, with nextcloud?

No idea.  As I do not know what multi-hops are in this context, I would
guess my answer is no.

> This calls for traces. Set tramp-verbose to 6, rerun your test, and show
> the Tramp debug buffer. Preferably, from a new Emacs instance, started
> with "emacs -Q".

So, with "emacs -nw -Q" (because I have Emacs with EXWM as my window
manager), it works fine and the debug output is:

attributes:
  filesystem::size: 2137079217
  filesystem::free: 2134407614
  filesystem::type: webdav
  filesystem::remote: TRUE
  filesystem::used: 2671603
  gvfs::backend: dav

From my normal Emacs, I get:

;; Emacs: 28.0.50 Tramp: 2.5.1 -*- mode: outline; coding: utf-8; -*-
11:47:38.194579 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection nil for USER@cloud.HOST.org using nextcloud...
11:47:38.194752 tramp-call-process (6) # ‘locale -a’ nil  *temp*
11:47:38.195770 tramp-call-process (6) # 0
C.UTF-8
en_GB.utf8
POSIX
11:47:38.195973 tramp-compute-multi-hops (1) # , Host name ‘cloud.HOST.org’ does not match ‘\`\(127\.0\.0\.1\|::1\|localhost6?\|t3610\)\'’
11:47:38.196080 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection nil for USER@cloud.HOST.org using nextcloud...failed
11:47:44.928510 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection nil for USER@cloud.HOST.org using nextcloud...

where account info has been obfuscated.

First of all, I don't understand why the traces are so different.  I
double checked that both instances had the same value of tramp-verbose
(set to 6).

But, secondly, obviously, there is something wrong in my
configuration.  Sigh.  I have no mention of tramp or nextcloud in my
init or custom files.  Any suggestions on what I might be setting that
could affect this?

Thank you,
eric

--

@ 2021-07-24  9:59     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-07-24  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi Michael,

Hi Eric,

> So, with "emacs -nw -Q" (because I have Emacs with EXWM as my window
> manager), it works fine and the debug output is:
>
> attributes:
>   filesystem::size: 2137079217
>   filesystem::free: 2134407614
>   filesystem::type: webdav
>   filesystem::remote: TRUE
>   filesystem::used: 2671603
>   gvfs::backend: dav
>
> From my normal Emacs, I get:
>
> ;; Emacs: 28.0.50 Tramp: 2.5.1 -*- mode: outline; coding: utf-8; -*-
> 11:47:38.194579 tramp-maybe-open-connection (3) # Opening connection nil for USER@cloud.HOST.org using nextcloud...
>
> First of all, I don't understand why the traces are so different.  I
> double checked that both instances had the same value of tramp-verbose
> (set to 6).

Looks like the output from two different buffers. The former is the
connection buffer, the latter is the debug buffer.

> But, secondly, obviously, there is something wrong in my
> configuration.  Sigh.  I have no mention of tramp or nextcloud in my
> init or custom files.  Any suggestions on what I might be setting that
> could affect this?

Run 'M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections'. Or remove ~/.emacs.d/tramp
*prior* starting Emacs.

> Thank you,
> eric

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: tramp complains about host not in localhost regexp when using nextcloud
@ 2021-07-24 14:17       ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-07-24 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Saturday, 24 Jul 2021 at 11:59, Michael Albinus wrote:
> Looks like the output from two different buffers. The former is the
> connection buffer, the latter is the debug buffer.

Okay, I must have switched to the wrong buffer.  I'll repeat my tests
after the weekend and make sure I do this right!

Thank you,
eric

--

@ 2021-07-24 18:49         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2021-07-24 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric S Fraga; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Okay, I must have switched to the wrong buffer.  I'll repeat my tests
> after the weekend and make sure I do this right!

Yes, and pls bisect your .emacs in order to find the configuration
snippet which confuses Tramp.

> Thank you,
> eric

Best regards, Michael.