all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-06-02  1:38 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-02  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

According to the tricks mentioned here,
<https://iloveemacs.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/emacs-as-an-advanced-terminal-multiplexer/comment-page-1/>,
I installed the following packages from melpa: multi-term,
ace-jump-mode, key-chord, and yasnippet. Then I add the following
configuration into my ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

(require 'multi-term)
(require 'ace-jump-mode)
(require 'key-chord)
(require 'yasnippet)

(key-chord-mode 1)
(setq key-chord-one-key-delay 0.15)
(key-chord-define-global "jj" 'ace-jump-mode)

(add-hook 'term-mode-hook (lambda ()
(setq yas/dont-activate nil)
(yas/minor-mode-on)
(add-to-list 'term-bind-key-alist '("C-c C-n" . multi-term-next))
(add-to-list 'term-bind-key-alist '("C-c C-p" . multi-term-prev))
(add-to-list 'term-bind-key-alist '("C-c C-j" . term-line-mode))
(add-to-list 'term-bind-key-alist '("C-c C-k" . term-char-mode))
))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c t") 'multi-term-next)
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c T") 'multi-term)

Now, I can open two new terminals by pressing:

C-c T
C-x 2

But I noticed that the shell commands issued in one terminal will also
be shown in the other, i.e., they are the identical one. And I want to
open multiple separate terminal buffers, with which I can issue
different shell commands in them respectively and observe the
corresponding executions of them.

Any hints for this problem will be highly appreciated.

Regards
Theory and Simulation of Materials
NO. 552 North Gangtie Road, Xingtai, China

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-06-02  3:53 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-02  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-02 04:39]:
> But I noticed that the shell commands issued in one terminal will also
> be shown in the other, i.e., they are the identical one. And I want to
> open multiple separate terminal buffers, with which I can issue
> different shell commands in them respectively and observe the
> corresponding executions of them.

You can use `ansi-term' command to open terminal with different programs:

ansi-term is an autoloaded interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘term.el’.

(ansi-term PROGRAM &optional NEW-BUFFER-NAME)

  Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.

Start a terminal-emulator in a new buffer.
This is almost the same as ‘term’ apart from always creating a new buffer,
and ‘C-x’ being marked as a ‘term-escape-char’.

This below would open 2 different terminals with different shells:

(ansi-term "/bin/bash")
(ansi-term "/bin/zsh")

You can then use argument to invoke new program in new term.

(defun run-with-term ()
  (interactive)
  "Runs new command with term"
  (let ((my-programs '("/bin/bash" "/usr/bin/mc")))
    (ansi-term (completing-read "Program to run: " my-programs nil nil))))

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-06-02  6:57 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-06-02  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 02 2021, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> According to the tricks mentioned here,
> <https://iloveemacs.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/emacs-as-an-advanced-terminal-multiplexer/comment-page-1/>,
> I installed the following packages from melpa: multi-term,
> ace-jump-mode, key-chord, and yasnippet. Then I add the following
> configuration into my ~/.emacs.d/init.el:

If all you want is to use multiple terminals, you don't need all those packages.
Only multi-term is useful for your purpose. (It's possible to do what you want
without any extra packages, but multi-term makes it easier.)

So before you install ace-jump-mode, key-chord and yasnippet, I strongly suggest
you read about what those packages do and consider whether you really want/need
them.

Now, about your question:

> Now, I can open two new terminals by pressing:
>
> C-c T
> C-x 2

This doesn't actually open two terminals. It opens one terminal and then splits
the window in two windows. Both windows show the *same* buffer, however.

The description of the multi-term package (see <https://melpa.org/#/multi-term>)
says that you can create a new term buffer with `M-x multi-term`, which you have
bound to `C-c T`. So press it once to create one terminal, press it again to
create a second one. If you want to see both terminals at once, open one
terminal, split the window (C-x 2 or C-x 3) and then open a new terminal in the
second window.

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-06-02  9:28   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-02  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 11:57 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-02 04:39]:
> > But I noticed that the shell commands issued in one terminal will also
> > be shown in the other, i.e., they are the identical one. And I want to
> > open multiple separate terminal buffers, with which I can issue
> > different shell commands in them respectively and observe the
> > corresponding executions of them.
>
> You can use `ansi-term' command to open terminal with different programs:
>
> ansi-term is an autoloaded interactive compiled Lisp function in
> ‘term.el’.
>
> (ansi-term PROGRAM &optional NEW-BUFFER-NAME)
>
>   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.
>
> Start a terminal-emulator in a new buffer.
> This is almost the same as ‘term’ apart from always creating a new buffer,
> and ‘C-x’ being marked as a ‘term-escape-char’.
>
> This below would open 2 different terminals with different shells:
>
> (ansi-term "/bin/bash")
> (ansi-term "/bin/zsh")
>
> You can then use argument to invoke new program in new term.
>
> (defun run-with-term ()
>   (interactive)
>   "Runs new command with term"
>   (let ((my-programs '("/bin/bash" "/usr/bin/mc")))
>     (ansi-term (completing-read "Program to run: " my-programs nil nil))))

Thank you. It really does the trick.

@ 2021-06-02  9:35     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-02  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao, help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 5:28 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 11:57 AM Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
> >
> > * Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> [2021-06-02 04:39]:
> > > But I noticed that the shell commands issued in one terminal will also
> > > be shown in the other, i.e., they are the identical one. And I want to
> > > open multiple separate terminal buffers, with which I can issue
> > > different shell commands in them respectively and observe the
> > > corresponding executions of them.
> >
> > You can use `ansi-term' command to open terminal with different programs:
> >
> > ansi-term is an autoloaded interactive compiled Lisp function in
> > ‘term.el’.
> >
> > (ansi-term PROGRAM &optional NEW-BUFFER-NAME)
> >
> >   Probably introduced at or before Emacs version 28.1.
> >
> > Start a terminal-emulator in a new buffer.
> > This is almost the same as ‘term’ apart from always creating a new buffer,
> > and ‘C-x’ being marked as a ‘term-escape-char’.
> >
> > This below would open 2 different terminals with different shells:
> >
> > (ansi-term "/bin/bash")
> > (ansi-term "/bin/zsh")
> >
> > You can then use argument to invoke new program in new term.
> >
> > (defun run-with-term ()
> >   (interactive)
> >   "Runs new command with term"
> >   (let ((my-programs '("/bin/bash" "/usr/bin/mc")))
> >     (ansi-term (completing-read "Program to run: " my-programs nil nil))))
> >

> Thank you. It really does the trick.

But how can I get these terminal buffers to be tiled so that switching
between them is easy?

HY

@ 2021-06-02  9:56   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-02  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02 2021, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > According to the tricks mentioned here,
> > <https://iloveemacs.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/emacs-as-an-advanced-terminal-multiplexer/comment-page-1/>,
> > I installed the following packages from melpa: multi-term,
> > ace-jump-mode, key-chord, and yasnippet. Then I add the following
> > configuration into my ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> If all you want is to use multiple terminals, you don't need all those packages.
> Only multi-term is useful for your purpose. (It's possible to do what you want
> without any extra packages, but multi-term makes it easier.)
>
> So before you install ace-jump-mode, key-chord and yasnippet, I strongly suggest
> you read about what those packages do and consider whether you really want/need
> them.

Thank you for your sincere advice.

> Now, about your question:
>
> > Now, I can open two new terminals by pressing:
> >
> > C-c T
> > C-x 2
>
> This doesn't actually open two terminals. It opens one terminal and then splits
> the window in two windows. Both windows show the *same* buffer, however.
>
> The description of the multi-term package (see <https://melpa.org/#/multi-term>)
> says that you can create a new term buffer with `M-x multi-term`, which you have
> bound to `C-c T`. So press it once to create one terminal, press it again to
> create a second one. If you want to see both terminals at once, open one
> terminal, split the window (C-x 2 or C-x 3) and then open a new terminal in the
> second window.

Thank you, it does the trick.

Based on the author said on GitHub,
<https://github.com/manateelazycat/multi-term>:

I mainly use Aweshell now, but I still maintain multi-term.el, feel
free send PR to me, thank you!

So, perhaps I should also give aweshell
(https://github.com/manateelazycat/aweshell) a try.

@ 2021-06-02 10:04     ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2021-06-02 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 02 2021, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> Based on the author said on GitHub,
> <https://github.com/manateelazycat/multi-term>:
>
> I mainly use Aweshell now, but I still maintain multi-term.el, feel
> free send PR to me, thank you!
>
> So, perhaps I should also give aweshell
> (https://github.com/manateelazycat/aweshell) a try.

That depends. From the looks of it, aweshell is to eshell what multi-term is to
term. The thing is, you have several choices when it comes to running a shell
inside Emacs. There is `M-x shell`, `M-x term` and `M-x eshell`. shell and term
both run a system shell (bash or zsh or whatever you like) as a subprocess and
display the output in a buffer. They have some differences in the way they
interact with Emacs. Details are described in the manual:

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Shell.html

Or in Emacs itself: `C-h i emacs RET shell RET`.

Eshell is a shell implementation written in Elisp. That's to say, it's the Elisp
equivalent of bash, zsh, etc. It doesn't run a shell subprocess and everything
it does is done through Emacs (unlike term and shell, which basically just pass
every character you type to the subprocess).

Eshell generally integrates better with Emacs (e.g., you can use Elisp commands
in the shell), but it behaves differently from bash or zsh, so not everything
you know about the shell you normally use carries over.

Which method to use depends on personal preference, the tasks you normally do on
the shell and probably on other factors as well. M-x term is perhaps the easiest
to start with, because everything basically works in the same way as when
running a shell in a terminal emulator such as xterm, rxvt, Terminal, etc. You
just need to know about line mode and char mode, and how to switch between them.
With M-x shell, you don't need to bother with that, but certain things won't
work. (For example, try running `htop` in both.) Eshell is the most emacs-y of
the three. Its integration with Emacs is great and it's a good shell too, but
its command syntax is different once you get to more powerful stuff such as for
loops.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-06-02 11:07       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2021-06-02 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> [2021-06-02 13:33]:
> but certain things won't work. (For example, try running `htop` in
> both.

Let us not forget the variable `eshell-virtual-commands' as commands
like `htop' may then be invoked from eshell in terminal.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-06-02 13:09   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-02 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02 2021, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > According to the tricks mentioned here,
> > <https://iloveemacs.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/emacs-as-an-advanced-terminal-multiplexer/comment-page-1/>,
> > I installed the following packages from melpa: multi-term,
> > ace-jump-mode, key-chord, and yasnippet. Then I add the following
> > configuration into my ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
>
> If all you want is to use multiple terminals, you don't need all those packages.
> Only multi-term is useful for your purpose. (It's possible to do what you want
> without any extra packages, but multi-term makes it easier.)
>
> So before you install ace-jump-mode, key-chord and yasnippet, I strongly suggest
> you read about what those packages do and consider whether you really want/need
> them.
>
> Now, about your question:
>
> > Now, I can open two new terminals by pressing:
> >
> > C-c T
> > C-x 2
>
> This doesn't actually open two terminals. It opens one terminal and then splits
> the window in two windows. Both windows show the *same* buffer, however.
>
> The description of the multi-term package (see <https://melpa.org/#/multi-term>)
> says that you can create a new term buffer with `M-x multi-term`, which you have
> bound to `C-c T`. So press it once to create one terminal, press it again to
> create a second one. If you want to see both terminals at once, open one
> terminal, split the window (C-x 2 or C-x 3) and then open a new terminal in the
> second window.

I want to see all the opened terminals at once, i.e., tiling them in
the Emacs window. How can I write a function that takes as an argument
the number of buffers to open to automate this process?

@ 2021-06-02 14:05     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-06-02 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joost Kremers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 9:09 PM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Joost Kremers <joostkremers@fastmail.fm> wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Jun 02 2021, Hongyi Zhao wrote:
> > > According to the tricks mentioned here,
> > > <https://iloveemacs.wordpress.com/2014/09/10/emacs-as-an-advanced-terminal-multiplexer/comment-page-1/>,
> > > I installed the following packages from melpa: multi-term,
> > > ace-jump-mode, key-chord, and yasnippet. Then I add the following
> > > configuration into my ~/.emacs.d/init.el:
> >
> > If all you want is to use multiple terminals, you don't need all those packages.
> > Only multi-term is useful for your purpose. (It's possible to do what you want
> > without any extra packages, but multi-term makes it easier.)
> >
> > So before you install ace-jump-mode, key-chord and yasnippet, I strongly suggest
> > you read about what those packages do and consider whether you really want/need
> > them.
> >
> > Now, about your question:
> >
> > > Now, I can open two new terminals by pressing:
> > >
> > > C-c T
> > > C-x 2
> >
> > This doesn't actually open two terminals. It opens one terminal and then splits
> > the window in two windows. Both windows show the *same* buffer, however.
> >
> > The description of the multi-term package (see <https://melpa.org/#/multi-term>)
> > says that you can create a new term buffer with `M-x multi-term`, which you have
> > bound to `C-c T`. So press it once to create one terminal, press it again to
> > create a second one. If you want to see both terminals at once, open one
> > terminal, split the window (C-x 2 or C-x 3) and then open a new terminal in the
> > second window.
>
> I want to see all the opened terminals at once, i.e., tiling them in
> the Emacs window. How can I write a function that takes as an argument
> the number of buffers to open to automate this process?

To be more specific, I find the following code snippet from
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2785950/more-than-one-emacs-terminal>:

;Here's a super lightweight little function that you can call to
automatically rename the term you're on, and then start a new term:
(defun new-ansi-term ()
  (interactive)
  (if (string= "*ansi-term*" (buffer-name))
      (rename-uniquely))
  (ansi-term "/bin/bash"))

;Then to bind that within ansi-term, I found this works:

(defvar ansi-term-after-hook nil)
(add-hook 'ansi-term-after-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (define-key term-raw-map (kbd "C-t") 'new-ansi-term)))
(defadvice ansi-term (after ansi-term-after-advice (org))
  (run-hooks 'ansi-term-after-hook))
(ad-activate 'ansi-term)

The above code can open multiple new terminals, but they are located
in different windows, and I don't know how to adjust it to let all
terminals opened using a tiling layout.

@ 2021-11-15  7:37 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2021-11-15  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
() Wed, 2 Jun 2021 09:38:42 +0800

   According to the tricks mentioned here, [...]
   I installed the following packages [...]

   Any hints for this problem will be highly appreciated.

I like to keep things simple.  Please find attached
multi-shell.el, which has worked fine for me for many years.

[-- Attachment #1.2: multi-shell.el --]

Personally, i globally bind ‘C-x s’ to ‘multi-shell’, then it's
a matter of ‘C-x s’ or ‘M-3 C-x s’ or whatever to get the Nth
shell.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen -----------------------------------------------
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2021) Software Libero

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-15  7:44   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-15  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 3:37 PM Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:

> () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> () Wed, 2 Jun 2021 09:38:42 +0800
>
>    According to the tricks mentioned here, [...]
>    I installed the following packages [...]
>
>    Any hints for this problem will be highly appreciated.
>
> I like to keep things simple.  Please find attached
> multi-shell.el, which has worked fine for me for many years.
>

> Personally, i globally bind ‘C-x s’ to ‘multi-shell’, then it's
> a matter of ‘C-x s’ or ‘M-3 C-x s’ or whatever to get the Nth
> shell.

Thank you very much for your code snippet and solution. Why not
publish it as a package on melpa?

Regards,
HZ

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-15  9:12     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2021-11-15  9:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Thien-Thi Nguyen

() Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
() Mon, 15 Nov 2021 15:44:27 +0800

   Why not publish it as a package on melpa?

It's published (along w/ other stuff) at:

 https://www.gnuvola.org/software/personal-elisp/

Unreleased (wip) source:

 https://gitlab.com/restio-al-restio/personal-elisp/

--

@ 2021-11-15 11:25       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 5:12 PM Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:

> () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> () Mon, 15 Nov 2021 15:44:27 +0800
>
>    Why not publish it as a package on melpa?
>
> It's published (along w/ other stuff) at:
>
>  https://www.gnuvola.org/software/personal-elisp/

It seems that this website has not been updated for a long time.

> Unreleased (wip) source:
>
>  https://gitlab.com/restio-al-restio/personal-elisp/

This one is up-to-date.

The file you previously posted to me is located at:

https://gitlab.com/restio-al-restio/personal-elisp/-/blob/p/lisp/low-stress/multi-shell.el

HZ

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-15 12:12         ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2021-11-15 12:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

() Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
() Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:25:18 +0800

   this website has not been updated for a long time.

How well Emacs supports old code!  M-x praise-emacs!

--

@ 2021-11-15 23:35           ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-15 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 8:12 PM Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:

> () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> () Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:25:18 +0800
>
>    this website has not been updated for a long time.
>
> How well Emacs supports old code!  M-x praise-emacs!

You're kidding ;-)

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-16  0:24             ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-16  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 7:35 AM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 8:12 PM Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
> >

> > () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> > () Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:25:18 +0800
> >
> >    this website has not been updated for a long time.
> >
> > How well Emacs supports old code!  M-x praise-emacs!
>
> You're kidding ;-)

I mean, there is no interactively callable function named as
praise-emacs at all.

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-17  3:26               ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-11-17  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao [2021-11-16 08:24:43] wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2021 at 7:35 AM Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 15, 2021 at 8:12 PM Thien-Thi Nguyen <ttn@gnuvola.org> wrote:
>> > () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
>> > () Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:25:18 +0800
>> >    this website has not been updated for a long time.
>> > How well Emacs supports old code!  M-x praise-emacs!
>> You're kidding ;-)
> I mean, there is no interactively callable function named as
> praise-emacs at all.

Really?  If it doesn't work for you, you might like to `M-x fix-this-bug RET`.

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-17  4:31                 ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-17  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao [2021-11-16 08:24:43] wrote:
> >> You're kidding ;-)
> > I mean, there is no interactively callable function named as
> > praise-emacs at all.
>
> Really?  If it doesn't work for you, you might like to `M-x fix-this-bug RET`.

Are you kidding me again? See the attached files.

[-- Attachment #2: Selection_033.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 35607 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #3: Selection_034.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 39863 bytes --]

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-17 14:27                   ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-11-17 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao [2021-11-17 12:31:52] wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
> GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Hongyi Zhao [2021-11-16 08:24:43] wrote:
>> > I mean, there is no interactively callable function named as
>> > praise-emacs at all.
>> Really?  If it doesn't work for you, you might like to `M-x fix-this-bug RET`.
> Are you kidding me again? See the attached files.

Maybe your Emac is sensing that you're not a true believer?

        Stefan "yes, I was kidding"

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-18  2:33                     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-18  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 10:34 PM Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao [2021-11-17 12:31:52] wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 17, 2021 at 11:26 AM Stefan Monnier via Users list for the
> > GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> Really?  If it doesn't work for you, you might like to `M-x fix-this-bug RET`.
> > Are you kidding me again? See the attached files.
>
> Maybe your Emac is sensing that you're not a true believer?

Search the source code and still find nothing:

werner@X10DAi-00:~/Public/repo/git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git$ rg
-iuu 'fix-this-bug|praise-emacs'

@ 2021-11-20  3:13           ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-11-20  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

> () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> () Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:25:18 +0800
>
>    this website has not been updated for a long time.
>
> How well Emacs supports old code!  M-x praise-emacs!

Haha!

This website as well actually ...

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-26 20:56             ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-11-26 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

My recommendation, use 'vterm' with 'tmux', and your problem is solved for having multiple terminals present in a single buffer. Plus you can detach and re-attach at any time.

@ 2021-11-27  3:22               ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-27  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

On Sat, Nov 27, 2021 at 4:56 AM Samuel Banya <sbanya@fastmail.com> wrote:

> My recommendation, use 'vterm' with 'tmux', and your problem is solved for having multiple terminals present in a single buffer. Plus you can detach and re-attach at any time.

As far as 'vterm' is concerned, I noticed the following package:

https://github.com/akermu/emacs-libvterm

> On Sat, Nov 20, 2021, at 3:13 AM, Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
> > Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
> >
> > > () Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
> > > () Mon, 15 Nov 2021 19:25:18 +0800
> > >
> > >    this website has not been updated for a long time.
> > >
> > > How well Emacs supports old code!  M-x praise-emacs!
> >
> > Haha!
> >
> > This website as well actually ...
> >
> > --
> > underground experts united
> > https://dataswamp.org/~incal

Theory and Simulation of Materials
No. 473, Quannan West Street, Xindu District, Xingtai, Hebei province

* Re: Open multiple separate terminal buffers with multi-term in Emacs.
@ 2021-11-27 21:45                 ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-11-27 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

Yep, that's the one!

I would recommend that one, since 'vterm' is the best terminal emulator you can use in Emacs (in my opinion) as its support for 'ncurses' type programs is way better than 'ansi-term' by a long shot.

Sincerely,

Sam

@ 2021-11-27 21:52                   ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-11-27 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg

Also, forgot to clarify that 'tmux' is a terminal utility that you can install and use on any Linux distribution.

It is a 'Terminal Multiplexer' which basically means that you can use multiple terminals all at once, and split panes easily.

I'm going to link the playlist I used to learn 'tmux' from YouTube from a while back, would recommend it as I think he gets into how to customize 'tmux' as well since 'tmux' is amazing when you customize it to suit your workflow.

Also, you can also change the default 'leader key' for tmux as well, ex: Change it from the default 'Ctrl + b' to --> 'Ctrl + a'. This helps if you're used to GNU Screen, etc, since that uses that keybinding by default.

Here's that playlist I was referring to earlier, should help you to learn 'tmux' a bit better:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL5BE1545D8486D66D

@ 2021-11-27 23:04                       ` Samuel Banya
From: Samuel Banya @ 2021-11-27 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

Ooh, that is mega cool!

Thanks for sharing that!

I'm gonna bookmark to check this out!

Always love a good workflow change :)

Sincerely,

Sam

@ 2021-11-28  2:59                     ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2021-11-28  2:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Banya; +Cc: Emanuel Berg

@ 2021-11-28  4:38                     ` Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2021-11-28  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Samuel Banya wrote:

> Also, forgot to clarify that 'tmux' is a terminal utility
> that you can install and use on any Linux distribution.

tmux is well-known ... but very good, I agree. I think it is
from the BSD world originally. Nowadays most people use tmux
but some people use screen. But there are several
multiplexers, as always.

In Emacs I think it isn't as common because there/here we have
buffers for everything, including shell work, so the tmux
session and pane typically plays a less prominent role ...

There is a book on tmux BTW:

@book{tmux,
  author     = {Brian P Hogan},
  isbn       = {978-1-93435-696-8},
  publisher  = {Brian P Hogan},
  title      = {tmux: Productive Mouse-Free Development},
  year       = {2012}
}

I didn't do a lot of config but I have one file, and here it
is:

  https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.tmux.conf

Keep it real ...