all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-12 21:20 goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-06-12 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I thought that for Emacs >= 24.4 there is "electric-indent-local-mode" so one can turn it off in a specific buffer.

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13  0:26 ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-13  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor; +Cc: goncholden

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> I thought that for Emacs >= 24.4 there is "electric-indent-local-mode"
> so one can turn it off in a specific buffer.

There is?

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13  1:31   ` goncholden
From: goncholden @ 2022-06-13  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-13  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com> writes:

> What is the way to disable `electric-indent-mode` in a buffer?

To turn off electric-indent-local-mode, just as you would any other
minor mode.

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13  5:21       ` goncholden
From: goncholden @ 2022-06-13  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-13  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com> writes:

> What's the recommended way to do this, disabling `electric-indent-mode`?

I (and the doc string of `electric-indent-mode') already told you: just
disable `electric-indent-local-mode' in the buffer where you want it
off.

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13  6:07           ` goncholden
From: goncholden @ 2022-06-13  6:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > What's the recommended way to do this, disabling `electric-indent-mode`?
>

> I (and the doc string of `electric-indent-mode') already told you: just disable` electric-indent-local-mode' in the buffer where you want it
> off.

Ok

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13 10:53             ` goncholden
From: goncholden @ 2022-06-13 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden; +Cc: Po Lu, goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > > What's the recommended way to do this, disabling `electric-indent-mode`?
> >
> > I (and the doc string of `electric-indent-mode') already told you: just disable` electric-indent-local-mode' in the buffer where you want it
> > off.
>

> Ok

Doing "C-h v electric-indent-mode" says that setting this variable directly does not take effect, but one can customize it.  It is very confusing.  How is it ok to customize it and what happens when you do?

Perhaps this needs change so one does not customize it?

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13 11:39               ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-13 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com> writes:

> Doing "C-h v electric-indent-mode" says that setting this variable
> directly does not take effect, but one can customize it.  It is very
> confusing.  How is it ok to customize it and what happens when you do?
>
> Perhaps this needs change so one does not customize it?

electric-indent-mode is a global minor mode.
Customizing it turns the mode on or off, while setting the variable
itself has no effect.

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13 12:01                 ` goncholden
From: goncholden @ 2022-06-13 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Po Lu; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > Doing "C-h v electric-indent-mode" says that setting this variable
> > directly does not take effect, but one can customize it. It is very
> > confusing. How is it ok to customize it and what happens when you do?
> >
> > Perhaps this needs change so one does not customize it?
>

> electric-indent-mode is a global minor mode.
> Customizing it turns the mode on or off, while setting the variable
> itself has no effect.

Then customizing electric-indent-mode does not customize the variable but the minor-mode?  If I remember correctly, when defining a minor-mode, a variable is also created automatically.  From your discussion, it seems that there would also exist a function with the same name.

* Re: Turning electric-indent-mode off, for a specific buffer
@ 2022-06-13 12:15                   ` Po Lu
From: Po Lu @ 2022-06-13 12:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: goncholden; +Cc: goncholden via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

goncholden <goncholden@protonmail.com> writes:

> Then customizing electric-indent-mode does not customize the variable
> but the minor-mode?

Yes.

> If I remember correctly, when defining a minor-mode, a variable is
> also created automatically.  From your discussion, it seems that there
> would also exist a function with the same name.

Both a command that serves to switch a minor mode on or off and a
variable is created when defining a minor mode.

They share the same name, because Emacs Lisp, being a Lisp-2, has
separate cells for functions and variables.

All of this information is trivially available in the doc string of the
function `electric-indent-mode', that of the macro `define-minor-mode',
and the Emacs Lisp reference manual.  I suggest you read them.