all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-23 10:45 Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-07-23 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello,

I use a lot flyspell-mode when I write E-mails and Org-mode documents.
And by default, its language is set to french on my system. Which is my
main language.

Recently, I discovered flyspell-prog-mode and wanted to use it in all
programming language editing. But this time, set to english.

In the manual, I didn't found a way to set the spell check language
based on the mode. And there is no flyspell-prog-mode-hook.

Did I miss something ?

Or is the only solution is to attach a lambda function, to prog-mode-hook,
that will call flyspell-prog-mode and ispell-change-dictionary like
this:

        (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook
                  '(lambda ()
                     (flyspell-prog-mode t)
                     (ispell-change-dictionary "english")))

Best regards

-------
Gendre Sébastien

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-23 11:41 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-07-23 11:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch>
> Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2024 12:45:25 +0200
>
> Or is the only solution is to attach a lambda function, to prog-mode-hook,
> that will call flyspell-prog-mode and ispell-change-dictionary like
> this:
>
>         (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook
>                   '(lambda ()
>                      (flyspell-prog-mode t)
>                      (ispell-change-dictionary "english")))

I don't know if this is the _only_ solution, but it is certainly a
valid solution.  (Of course, the hook doesn't have to be a
lambda-function, it could be a named function.)

* Re: flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-23 12:29 ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-07-23 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:

> Recently, I discovered flyspell-prog-mode and wanted to use it
> in all programming language editing. But this time, set to
> english.
>
> In the manual, I didn't found a way to set the spell check
> language based on the mode. And there is no
> flyspell-prog-mode-hook.

Have you checked the definition of flyspell-prog-mode?

In my installation (29.4) it calls flyspell-prog-mode-hook.

Possibly you are being misled by this hook being undefined by
default?

Regards,

        - Joel

* Re: flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-23 12:49   ` Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-07-23 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Reicher; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I checked for variable `flyspell-prog-mode-hook` with
`describe-variable`, with no success.

@ 2024-07-23 14:56 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-07-23 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>         (add-hook 'prog-mode-hook
>                   '(lambda ()

Please don't quote lambdas.

* Re: flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-24  0:39     ` Joel Reicher
From: Joel Reicher @ 2024-07-24  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:

> I checked for variable `flyspell-prog-mode-hook` with
> `describe-variable`, with no success.

Undefined variables won't show up there, which is why I asked if
you checked the definition of the flyspell-prog-mode *function*.

If you setq an undefined variable, it will define it, and if your
version of the mode references this (previously undefined)
variable, it will work as you expect.

Regards,

        - Joel

* Re: flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-24 12:56       ` Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-07-24 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joel Reicher <joel.reicher@gmail.com> writes:

> Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:
>
> > I checked for variable `flyspell-prog-mode-hook` with
> > `describe-variable`, with no success.
>
> Undefined variables won't show up there, which is why I asked if you
> checked the definition of the flyspell-prog-mode *function*.
>
> If you setq an undefined variable, it will define it, and if your
> version of the mode references this (previously undefined) variable,
> it will work as you expect.

With other words: You can (add-hook 'flyspell-prog-mode-hook ...) even
when flyspell-prog-mode-hook is void, without error.  And enabling
`flyspell-prog-mode' _will_ look at and use the binding.

Michael.

* Re: flyspell-prog-mode, flyspell-mode and different dictionary
@ 2024-07-24 13:42         ` Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-07-24 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Heerdegen via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
  Cc: Michael Heerdegen