all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-24 16:10 Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-24 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Does anybody know about a package that allows me to connect to issues on
github. I know that I can use email to reply to issues, but in this case
the markdown syntax (which is sometimes is useful) is stripped.

Regards

Uwe Brauer

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-24 16:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-24 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 18:10:23 +0200
> From:  Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know about a package that allows me to connect to issues on
> github.

What do you mean by "to connect" in this case?

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-24 16:49   ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-24 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 18:10:23 +0200
>> From:  Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>

>> Hi
>>
>> Does anybody know about a package that allows me to connect to issues on
>> github.

> What do you mean by "to connect" in this case?

In git language push and pull,
retrieve and send if you prefer.

A two way connection.

--
I strongly condemn Hamas heinous despicable pogroms/atrocities on Israel
I strongly condemn Putin's war of aggression against Ukraine.
I support the EU and NATO membership of Ukraine.

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-24 17:56 ` Rudolf Schlatte
From: Rudolf Schlatte @ 2024-08-24 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

> Hi
>
> Does anybody know about a package that allows me to connect to issues on
> github. I know that I can use email to reply to issues, but in this case
> the markdown syntax (which is sometimes is useful) is stripped.

If you use magit, you could check out forge:
https://github.com/magit/forge

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-24 18:54     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-24 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 18:49:31 +0200
> From:  Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>

> >> Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 18:10:23 +0200
> >> From:  Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> >>

> >> Does anybody know about a package that allows me to connect to issues on
> >> github.
>
> > What do you mean by "to connect" in this case?
>
> In git language push and pull,
> retrieve and send if you prefer.

To pull and push to GitHub, you can use Git as usual, since GitHub is
a Git repository.

But you said "connect to issues on GitHub", so how does on "connect"
or "pull and push" with issues?

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-25  6:49       ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2024-08-25  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> To pull and push to GitHub, you can use Git as usual, since GitHub is
> a Git repository.
>
> But you said "connect to issues on GitHub", so how does on "connect"
> or "pull and push" with issues?

I guess the OP want to fetch issue descriptions, render and edit the issue
descriptions, browse comments, write replies, change issues status, etc.
all in Emacs. Not in his web browser.
--
Matthias

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-25 12:16         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-08-25 12:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Matthias Meulien <orontee@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 08:49:13 +0200
>
> > To pull and push to GitHub, you can use Git as usual, since GitHub is
> > a Git repository.
> >
> > But you said "connect to issues on GitHub", so how does on "connect"
> > or "pull and push" with issues?
> >

> I guess the OP want to fetch issue descriptions, render and edit the issue
> descriptions, browse comments, write replies, change issues status, etc.
> all in Emacs. Not in his web browser.

If the access being sought is via email, then GitHub lets users ask
for all the discussions to be sent via email.  Issues are sent to
those who submitted them or subscribed to them.

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-25 12:58           ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-25 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "EZ" == Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Matthias Meulien <orontee@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 08:49:13 +0200
>>
>> > To pull and push to GitHub, you can use Git as usual, since GitHub is
>> > a Git repository.
>> >
>> > But you said "connect to issues on GitHub", so how does on "connect"
>> > or "pull and push" with issues?
>> >

>> I guess the OP want to fetch issue descriptions, render and edit the issue
>> descriptions, browse comments, write replies, change issues status, etc.
>> all in Emacs. Not in his web browser.

> If the access being sought is via email, then GitHub lets users ask
> for all the discussions to be sent via email.  Issues are sent to
> those who submitted them or subscribed to them.

That is correct.
However, the problem is that github encourages the use of markdown
syntax for example to emphasize source-code (well and other structures I
do not care about much).

The point is that if I add markdown syntax in my email replies, the
github software deletes that syntax, the reason is not clear to me,
maybe to fight spam.

This is why I asked for a package that would allow to answer issues, but
which would not filter out markdown syntax.

So there was an emacs package called, well github-issues, from 2016 but
I did not manage to get it to work.

--

@ 2024-08-25 12:59   ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-25 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "RS" == Rudolf Schlatte <rudi@constantly.at> writes:

> Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> Hi
>>
>> Does anybody know about a package that allows me to connect to issues on
>> github. I know that I can use email to reply to issues, but in this case
>> the markdown syntax (which is sometimes is useful) is stripped.

> If you use magit, you could check out forge:
> https://github.com/magit/forge

Thanks. Do you know whether forge allows to use markdown syntax, for
example when replying to issues?

--

@ 2024-08-25 13:24             ` Juergen Fenn
From: Juergen Fenn @ 2024-08-25 13:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.08.24 um 14:58 Uhr schrieb Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU
Emacs text editor:
>> If the access being sought is via email, then GitHub lets users ask
>> for all the discussions to be sent via email.  Issues are sent to
>> those who submitted them or subscribed to them.
> That is correct.
> However, the problem is that github encourages the use of markdown
> syntax for example to emphasize source-code (well and other structures I
> do not care about much).
>
> The point is that if I add markdown syntax in my email replies, the
> github software deletes that syntax, the reason is not clear to me,
> maybe to fight spam.
>
> This is why I asked for a package that would allow to answer issues, but
> which would not filter out markdown syntax.

I did not try it out yet: What happens if you edit your email in a
Markdown mode buffer before sending it with Gnus?

Best regards,
Jürgen.

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-25 13:29     ` Suhail Singh
From: Suhail Singh @ 2024-08-25 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Uwe Brauer

Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>> If you use magit, you could check out forge:
>> https://github.com/magit/forge
>
> Thanks. Do you know whether forge allows to use markdown syntax, for
> example when replying to issues?

Not Rudolf, but as a user of forge, yes it does.

--
Suhail

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-25 16:06       ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2024-08-25 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suhail Singh; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Uwe Brauer

>>> "SS" == Suhail Singh <suhailsingh247@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>>> If you use magit, you could check out forge:
>>> https://github.com/magit/forge
>>
>> Thanks. Do you know whether forge allows to use markdown syntax, for
>> example when replying to issues?

> Not Rudolf, but as a user of forge, yes it does.

Thanks that is very helpful to know
--

@ 2024-08-25 18:01               ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-25 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I did not try it out yet: What happens if you edit your email in a
> Markdown mode buffer before sending it with Gnus?

If your email is labeled as `text/plain` than Github does not interpret
it as markdown (it does something else, not clearly documented, but
mostly recognizes `> ` in a similar way as in Markdown and ignores most
of the rest).

If you email is labeled as `text/markdown` or `text/x-markdown`, then
Github idiotically throws away your reply.
[ At last, last time I investigated this, i.e. a couple years ago.  ]

* [Success] (was: a package to connect to github issues)
@ 2024-08-27 19:41       ` Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-08-27 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>> "SS" == Suhail Singh <suhailsingh247@gmail.com> writes:

> Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> writes:

>>> If you use magit, you could check out forge:
>>> https://github.com/magit/forge
>>
>> Thanks. Do you know whether forge allows to use markdown syntax, for
>> example when replying to issues?

> Not Rudolf, but as a user of forge, yes it does.

I just installed and tested it. Nice! Seems precisely what I was looking for.

One question though.

Do I need to clone the repository I want to add an issue to?? That
repository could be large.

--

@ 2024-08-31 15:23           ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-08-31 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Matthias Meulien <orontee@gmail.com>
>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 08:49:13 +0200
>>
>> > To pull and push to GitHub, you can use Git as usual, since GitHub is
>> > a Git repository.
>> >
>> > But you said "connect to issues on GitHub", so how does on "connect"
>> > or "pull and push" with issues?
>> >

>> I guess the OP want to fetch issue descriptions, render and edit the issue
>> descriptions, browse comments, write replies, change issues status, etc.
>> all in Emacs. Not in his web browser.
>
> If the access being sought is via email, then GitHub lets users ask
> for all the discussions to be sent via email.  Issues are sent to
> those who submitted them or subscribed to them.

That's true however email replies are moved into the right context when
replying to inline commits on code changes.

Github (and also other forges such as Gitlab) allow for comments threads
on specific line of code.

It still works but they could map the emails better.

* Re: a package to connect to github issues
@ 2024-08-31 15:45             ` Björn Bidar
From: Björn Bidar @ 2024-08-31 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Brauer via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

>>> From: Matthias Meulien <orontee@gmail.com>
>>> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2024 08:49:13 +0200

>>> I guess the OP want to fetch issue descriptions, render and edit the issue
>>> descriptions, browse comments, write replies, change issues status, etc.
>>> all in Emacs. Not in his web browser.
>
>> If the access being sought is via email, then GitHub lets users ask
>> for all the discussions to be sent via email.  Issues are sent to
>> those who submitted them or subscribed to them.
>
> That is correct.
> However, the problem is that github encourages the use of markdown
> syntax for example to emphasize source-code (well and other structures I
> do not care about much).

IMHO it really depends on your workflow. You try to reply Email with a
Github/Forge app/mode it might not be so easy to adjust to. Since
these apps don't notify you on issues in the same way and display new messages
in a way you can with email unless they specifically focus on a good
user experience when working on bugs.
You can markdown support but loose the other features you have unless
the apps are in a good shape to be useful.

Further not all forges offer the same integration via the API that any
app would use compared to what their website offers.
I.e. Github doesn't allow to select which email is used when merging
pull requests using their API but on the website its possible.

> The point is that if I add markdown syntax in my email replies, the
> github software deletes that syntax, the reason is not clear to me,
> maybe to fight spam.

I don't change the mime-type of my emails however Github still does
recognize the markup of email e.g. when quoting another person.

The ruby package they use to parse email replies you can find here:
https://rubydoc.info/gems/email_reply_parser/

IMHO the added markdown support isn't worth the effort. For email
replies to work better is something only they can fix.