all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* one big shell command then one small one and it's like pass the joint, mon
@ 2002-06-20 21:17 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2002-06-20 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yet another bug.  You do one shell command with lots of output and
*Shell Command Output* appears as a bottom window.  A second shell
command with a little output then causes the minibuffer to appear with
the same content as *Shell Command Output* most unprofessionally in a
double vision repeated display.

SPC 1 SPC 1 SPC 4 <return>

If you were schmart you would say "Oh, I've already got *Shell Command
Output* up there, no point in making a big deal about it in the
minibuffer."  Of course we are adding complexity, but whos schmart
idea was it to make such a peppy minibuffer in the first place?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: one big shell command then one small one and it's like pass the joint, mon
@ 2002-06-21 18:26 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-06-21 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson wrote:

> Yet another bug.  You do one shell command with lots of output and
> *Shell Command Output* appears as a bottom window.  A second shell
> command with a little output then causes the minibuffer to appear with
> the same content as *Shell Command Output* most unprofessionally in a
> double vision repeated display.

> SPC 1 SPC 1 SPC 4 <return>
>
> If you were schmart you would say "Oh, I've already got *Shell Command
> Output* up there, no point in making a big deal about it in the
> minibuffer."  Of course we are adding complexity, but whos schmart
> idea was it to make such a peppy minibuffer in the first place?

As the shell-command doc string and the ChangeLog entries both say, it is
displayed in the echo area, not the minibuffer:

Thu Sep 21 03:59:28 1989  Richard Stallman  (rms@mole.ai.mit.edu)

	* simple.el (shell-command-on-region): If output is 1 line,
	display it in echo area.

Anyway, here's an untested patch to get the behavior you want:

*** emacs-20.7/lisp/simple.el.orig	Tue May  2 06:36:41 2000
--- emacs-20.7/lisp/simple.el	Fri Jun 21 12:14:56 2002
***************
*** 1346,1352 ****

	  "succeed"

	"fail")))
   		   (kill-buffer buffer))
! 		  ((= lines 1)
   		   (message "%s"
   			    (save-excursion
   			      (set-buffer buffer)
--- 1346,1352 ----

	  "succeed"

	"fail")))
   		   (kill-buffer buffer))
! 		  ((and (= lines 1) (not (get-buffer-window buffer)))
   		   (message "%s"
   			    (save-excursion
   			      (set-buffer buffer)

--