all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* how do i get the list of pending input events?
@ 2002-09-29 19:07 D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-09-29 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

In elisp, how do i get the list of pending input events?

I couldn't find it in the manual or anywhere else till now. :(

Thanks

DG                                 http://24.197.159.102/~deego/

* Re: how do i get the list of pending input events?
@ 2002-09-30 21:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-09-30 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

D. Goel wrote:

> In elisp, how do i get the list of pending input events?
>
> I couldn't find it in the manual or anywhere else till now. :(

AFAIK, the variable `unread-command-events'.

--

* Re: how do i get the list of pending input events?
@ 2002-10-01  1:59   ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-10-01  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com> writes:

> AFAIK, the variable `unread-command-events'.

Have been looking into it more and asking for more help around.
(thanks to RMS, i now understand that-->

It seems there's no way to get a list of pending events for a lisp
program though I think there really should be.

unread-command-events only contains events that have been put by lisp
programs into it.  Otherwise `unread-comand-events' seems to always
contain nil.

@ 2002-10-01  3:13     ` Evgeny Roubinchtein
From: Evgeny Roubinchtein @ 2002-10-01  3:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

    DG> It seems there's no way to get a list of pending events for a
    DG> lisp program though I think there really should be.

Could you explain in more detail how you envision this feature?  You
seem to imply there is some queue which the C code does not expose to
the Lisp engine, and I am not sure that such queue exists.  Do you
have evidence to the contrary?

* Re: how do i get the list of pending input events?
@ 2002-10-01 14:53       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-01 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Could you explain in more detail how you envision this feature?  You
> seem to imply there is some queue which the C code does not expose to
> the Lisp engine, and I am not sure that such queue exists.  Do you
> have evidence to the contrary?

The queue definitely exists (called something like keybuf in the C code)
and is not exposed to Lisp.  But the question remains: what for ?

* Re: how do i get the list of pending input events?
@ 2002-10-03 16:57         ` D. Goel
From: D. Goel @ 2002-10-03 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > Could you explain in more detail how you envision this feature?  You
> > seem to imply there is some queue which the C code does not expose to
> > the Lisp engine, and I am not sure that such queue exists.  Do you
> > have evidence to the contrary?
>
> The queue definitely exists (called something like keybuf in the C code)
> and is not exposed to Lisp.  But the question remains: what for ?

I guess I might have been trying the wrong approach for the problem I
am having.  Perhaps peopel could sugegst alternatives---

The problem is (and I know several people have mentioned the same
problem) ---> Want to make (sit-for) ignore certain inpuuts (and
continue doing its thing as if the input never happened).  An example
of this is:

idle-timer tasks in emacs keep working fine in emacs -nw when I switch
to another window, or move my mouse to another window, or switch to
another sawfish-viewport. --- becasuse emacs -nw does not care for
mouse-events.

But, the idle-timer stops in "regular" 'emacs', as soon as you move to
another window----(even though switching to another window is when the
user wants emacs to think it is idle and do its "idle" stuff..) [1]

The only workaround i envisioned is to implement my own "sit-for" that
would essentially "sleep-for" for small times, and then check whether
any "real" (vix. non-mouse) event has occurred, else will continue
another sleep-fo.. and so on, until its entire sit-for-duratino is
completed.

please write in with alternative suggestions?

guess you could always flame me for trying ungodly things with what is
suppposed to be an editor... :)... OTOH, emacs is now an editing
environment even officially.. and of course, an OS unofficially :)

[1] <you knew the plug was coming> An example of this is the vel.el i
posted to g.e.s (or the mouse-based mvel.el i will post soon) --- say,
I want to leave my emacs scrolling up slowly, and want to work in the
adjacent applicatino while emacs is scrolling.  I can do that just
fine in emacs -nw.  But in emacs, the moment I press Alt-tab or
alt-left (sawfish), or try to move the mouse, the scrolling stops.

DG                                 http://24.197.159.102/~deego/