all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* advising jde-compile -- a better way?
@ 2004-10-25 17:44 Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2004-10-25 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

jde-compile prompts me to save buffers before compiling, a practice
that I find personally annoying.  I've come up with the following, but
it seems ugly:

(defadvice jde-compile (around jde-compile-no-save-prompt act)
  "Supresses the save-buffer prompting."
	(fset 'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def (symbol-function 'save-some-buffers))
	(fset 'save-some-buffers 'ignore)
	ad-do-it
	(fset 'save-some-buffers (symbol-function 'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def)))

Is there a better or more elegant way to accomplish the same thing?

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: advising jde-compile -- a better way?
@ 2004-10-25 21:43 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2004-10-25 21:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Casadonte wrote:
 > jde-compile prompts me to save buffers before compiling, a practice
 > that I find personally annoying.

(setq compilation-ask-about-save nil)

or

(add-hook 'java-mode-hook
           (lambda ()
             (set (make-local-variable 'compilation-ask-about-save) nil)))

 > I've come up with the following, but it seems ugly:
 >
 > (defadvice jde-compile (around jde-compile-no-save-prompt act)
 >   "Supresses the save-buffer prompting."
 > 	(fset 'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def (symbol-function
'save-some-buffers))
 > 	(fset 'save-some-buffers 'ignore)
 > 	ad-do-it
 > 	(fset 'save-some-buffers (symbol-function
'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def)))
 > Is there a better or more elegant way to accomplish the same thing?

It sure is ugly.  First, you should use a local variable binding instead
of a global function binding to save the original definition, and you
should make sure to restore the original binding in case of an error:

(defadvice jde-compile (around ignore-save-some-buffers activate)
   "Don't call `save-some-buffers'."
   (let ((save-some-buffers (symbol-function 'save-some-buffers)))
     (fset 'save-some-buffers 'ignore)
     (unwind-protect
         ad-do-it
       (fset 'save-some-buffers save-some-buffers))))

The flet Common Lisp emulation macro basically does that.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: advising jde-compile -- a better way?
@ 2004-10-25 23:13 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2004-10-25 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

>jde-compile prompts me to save buffers before compiling, a practice
>that I find personally annoying.  I've come up with the following, but
>it seems ugly:
>
>(defadvice jde-compile (around jde-compile-no-save-prompt act)
>  "Supresses the save-buffer prompting."
>	(fset 'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def (symbol-function 'save-some-buffers))
>	(fset 'save-some-buffers 'ignore)
>	ad-do-it
>	(fset 'save-some-buffers (symbol-function 'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def)))
>
>Is there a better or more elegant way to accomplish the same thing?

If JDE uses the compile package, then this variable will do what you
want, if you set it to a regex that matches anything.

,----[ C-h v compile-ignore-buffers-list RET ]

`----

--
Mike Slass

* Re: advising jde-compile -- a better way?
@ 2004-10-26  1:04 ` Daniel Pittman
From: Daniel Pittman @ 2004-10-26  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 26 Oct 2004, Joe Casadonte wrote:
> jde-compile prompts me to save buffers before compiling, a practice
> that I find personally annoying.  I've come up with the following, but
> it seems ugly:
>
> (defadvice jde-compile (around jde-compile-no-save-prompt act)
> "Supresses the save-buffer prompting." (fset 'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def
> 	(symbol-function 'save-some-buffers)) (fset 'save-some-buffers
> 	'ignore) ad-do-it (fset 'save-some-buffers (symbol-function
> 	'save-some-buffers-old-fn-def)))

(require 'cl)
(defadvice jde-compile (around jde-compile-no-save-prompt act)
  "Supresses the save-buffer prompting."
    (flet ((save-some-buffers (&rest)))
      ad-do-it))

> Is there a better or more elegant way to accomplish the same thing?

Untested, but Common Lisp flet is a way of doing what you wrote
automatically.  There may even be a non-CL mechanism, named something
else, in Emacs somewhere.

          Daniel

--
Yet, I am the necessary angel of earth,
Since, in my sight, you see the earth again...