all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-06-28 13:06 harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-06-28 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I am currently switching from XEmacs to Emacs, some things work "out of
the box" for me, some others not. I want to send mail via smtp and
added these lines to ~/.emacs (which I copied word by word from my
~/.xemacs/init.el. But with emacs they don't work.

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-default-smtp-server "smtp.1und1.de")
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")
(setq smtpmail-local-domain "literaturlatenight.de")
(setq smtpmail-debug-info t)
(load-library "smtpmail")
(setq smtpmail-code-conv-from nil)
(setq user-full-name "harry")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.1und1.de" 25 "xxxxxxx"
"xxxxx")))

(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(setq user-mail-address "harry@literaturlatenight.de")

What did I miss?

harry

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-06-28 16:21 ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-06-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

harry meyers schrieb:

> What did I miss?

Ah, I see, it's smtpmail.el

harry

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-06-28 17:22   ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-06-28 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

harry meyers schrieb:

> Ah, I see, it's smtpmail.el

Mmh, I added smptmail to my path, put (require 'smtpmail) in ~/.emacs,
but the error message is the same:

220 smtp.1und1.de (mrelayeu0) Welcome to Nemesis ESMTP server

EHLO hardy.literaturlatenight.de

250-mrelayeu0.kundenserver.de pleased to meet you

250-STARTTLS

250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN

250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN

250-PIPELINING

250-SIZE 52428800

250 HELP

MAIL FROM:<harry@literaturlatenight.de> SIZE=141

250 mail from: <harry@literaturlatenight.de> ok

RCPT TO:<harry@literaturlatenight.de>

550 must be authenticated

QUIT

221 smtp.1und1.de Bye

I really don't see what the problem is, in Xemacs everything works fine

harry

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-06-30 18:13 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2006-06-30 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"harry meyers" <late@literaturlatenight.de> writes:

> I am currently switching from XEmacs to Emacs, some things work "out of
> the box" for me, some others not. I want to send mail via smtp and
> added these lines to ~/.emacs (which I copied word by word from my
> ~/.xemacs/init.el. But with emacs they don't work.
[...]
> (setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.1und1.de" 25 "xxxxxxx"
> "xxxxx")))
[...]
> What did I miss?

The smtpmail library in released versions of Emacs doesn't have
authentication support.  Does your version of the smtpmail library
define and heed `smtpmail-auth-credentials' ?

If not, you can get a more recent version of the library with support
for authentication from the Emacs CVS Repository:
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/mail/smtpmail.el
or from the contrib directory of a recent version of Gnus.

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-07-01  4:32   ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-07-01  4:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Paul Wallington schrieb:

> The smtpmail library in released versions of Emacs doesn't have
> authentication support.  Does your version of the smtpmail library
> define and heed `smtpmail-auth-credentials' ?

Yes. I tried it with 3 or 4 different versions, my current one was from
CVS Savannah. As nothing helped I now send my mail via
sendmail/postfix.

Thanks
harry

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-07-01 12:51 ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2006-07-01 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"harry meyers" <late@literaturlatenight.de> writes:

> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")

Aha.  How about setting this to the integer 25 ?

When I change it from an integer to a string in my setup then I get
the same symptoms as you.

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-07-01 13:17   ` David Kastrup
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3604.1151763833.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2006-07-01 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

jpw@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington) writes:

> "harry meyers" <late@literaturlatenight.de> writes:
>
>> (setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")
>
> Aha.  How about setting this to the integer 25 ?
>
> When I change it from an integer to a string in my setup then I get
> the same symptoms as you.

One of the reasons one does not do people a favor by telling them
about "setq" instead of "customize".

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-07-01 14:23   ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3604.1151763833.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jpw@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington)
> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 13:51:41 +0100
>
> "harry meyers" <late@literaturlatenight.de> writes:
>
> > (setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")
>
> Aha.  How about setting this to the integer 25 ?

FWIW, I was tripped by this as well, back when I started using
smtpmail.  The documentation should be clearer on the type of the
value, IMHO: it currently could be interpreted as if "25" is allowed,
and will be magically converted to a number:

      The variable `smtpmail-smtp-service' controls the port on the
    server to contact.  It is either a string, in which case it will be
    translated into an integer using system calls, or an integer.

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3604.1151763833.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-01 19:33     ` John Paul Wallington
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3610.1151790441.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2006-07-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> FWIW, I was tripped by this as well, back when I started using
> smtpmail.  The documentation should be clearer on the type of the
> value, IMHO: it currently could be interpreted as if "25" is allowed,
> and will be magically converted to a number:
>
>       The variable `smtpmail-smtp-service' controls the port on the
>     server to contact.  It is either a string, in which case it will be
>     translated into an integer using system calls, or an integer.

Harry says that specifying a port number as a string worked under
XEmacs.  Do you think it would be a good idea to handle strings
representing an integer in `make-network-process' ?  Alternatively, we
could add such support as a special case to the smtpmail library
instead.

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
@ 2006-07-01 21:47       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-07-01 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jpw@pobox.com (John Paul Wallington)
> Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 20:33:25 +0100
>
> >       The variable `smtpmail-smtp-service' controls the port on the
> >     server to contact.  It is either a string, in which case it will be
> >     translated into an integer using system calls, or an integer.
>
> Harry says that specifying a port number as a string worked under
> XEmacs.  Do you think it would be a good idea to handle strings
> representing an integer in `make-network-process' ?  Alternatively, we
> could add such support as a special case to the smtpmail library
> instead.

It's your call: either allow "25" or fix the docs to say that a
literal number cannot come in a string representation.  I don't have
an opinion what's best, but perhaps asking on emacs-devel will bring
some.

* Re: emacs and smtpmail
       [not found]     ` <mailman.3610.1151790441.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2006-07-02 13:35       ` harry meyers
From: harry meyers @ 2006-07-02 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

John Paul Wallington schrieb:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > FWIW, I was tripped by this as well, back when I started using
> > smtpmail.  The documentation should be clearer on the type of the
> > value, IMHO: it currently could be interpreted as if "25" is allowed,
> > and will be magically converted to a number:
> >
> >       The variable `smtpmail-smtp-service' controls the port on the
> >     server to contact.  It is either a string, in which case it will be
> >     translated into an integer using system calls, or an integer.
>
> Harry says that specifying a port number as a string worked under
> XEmacs.  Do you think it would be a good idea to handle strings
> representing an integer in `make-network-process' ?  Alternatively, we
> could add such support as a special case to the smtpmail library
> instead.

Thanks a lot to all. I changed it to an integer and everthing works
properly now. I am not sure anymore of how the string came  into play.
Maybe I inserted it manually in my ~/init.el, but did not change the
settings in my custom.el which I did with "customize". So the wrong
"setq" setting was ignored. But that's only a guess.
BTW: I am not sure what ist better - to customize or do it manually
with "setq". If you use customize your ~/.emacs gradually becomes
confusing. But OTOH if you do it with "setq" bad syntax may be the
result.

harry