all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* rev. 1.322 of src/minibuf.c broke partial completion
@ 2007-02-05 10:18 Bernhard Herzog
From: Bernhard Herzog @ 2007-02-05 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I've recently noticed a problem with partial completion in current CVS
HEAD.  To reproduce, start emacs with emacs -Q and then activate partial
completion mode (M-x partial-completion-mode).  Now try to find a file
with completion.  One symptom of the defect is that ~//usr is expanded
to usr/ instead of /usr/, making it impossible to enter an absolute file
name.  Also file-name-shadow-mode doesn't seem to work anymore.  The
part of the file name that will be ignored is no longer highlighted (or
rather dimmed).

The change that caused this is rev. 1.322 of src/minibuf.c.  Reverting
that file back to 1.321 solved the it for me.  Assuming the change in
minibuf.c is desired, the real bug fix will be something else, though.

   Bernhard

--
Intevation GmbH                                 http://intevation.de/
Skencil                                           http://skencil.org/

* Re: rev. 1.322 of src/minibuf.c broke partial completion
@ 2007-02-10 20:40 ` Sascha Wilde
From: Sascha Wilde @ 2007-02-10 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bernhard Herzog; +Cc: emacs-devel

Bernhard Herzog <bh@intevation.de> wrote:

> I've recently noticed a problem with partial completion in current CVS
> HEAD.  To reproduce, start emacs with emacs -Q and then activate partial
> completion mode (M-x partial-completion-mode).  Now try to find a file
> with completion.  One symptom of the defect is that ~//usr is expanded
> to usr/ instead of /usr/, making it impossible to enter an absolute file
> name.
[...]
> The change that caused this is rev. 1.322 of src/minibuf.c.  Reverting
> that file back to 1.321 solved the it for me.  Assuming the change in
> minibuf.c is desired, the real bug fix will be something else, though.

This seems to be fixed by Kim's latest changes to minibuf.c (done on
2007/02/08).  Bernhard: can you confirm the issue is resolved?

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde : "There are 10 types of people in the world.
             : Those who understand binary and those who don't."

* Re: rev. 1.322 of src/minibuf.c broke partial completion
@ 2007-02-11 14:05   ` Bernhard Herzog
From: Bernhard Herzog @ 2007-02-11 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Sascha Wilde; +Cc: emacs-devel

Sascha Wilde <wilde@sha-bang.de> writes:

> Bernhard Herzog <bh@intevation.de> wrote:
>
>> I've recently noticed a problem with partial completion in current CVS
>> HEAD.  To reproduce, start emacs with emacs -Q and then activate partial
>> completion mode (M-x partial-completion-mode).  Now try to find a file
>> with completion.  One symptom of the defect is that ~//usr is expanded
>> to usr/ instead of /usr/, making it impossible to enter an absolute file
>> name.
> [...]
>> The change that caused this is rev. 1.322 of src/minibuf.c.  Reverting
>> that file back to 1.321 solved the it for me.  Assuming the change in
>> minibuf.c is desired, the real bug fix will be something else, though.
>
> This seems to be fixed by Kim's latest changes to minibuf.c (done on
> 2007/02/08).  Bernhard: can you confirm the issue is resolved?

Just tested this with a fresh CVS checkout.  The Problem is gone.
partial-completion-mode works again for file names.  So, yes it is
resolved.

   Bernhard