all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Does emacs have an edit pipeline mode?
@ 2007-07-14 20:44 grocery_stocker
From: grocery_stocker @ 2007-07-14 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does emacs have something similar to vip when it comes to editing
commands in a pipeline?

What I mean, does emacs have something similar to what is in the
following url
http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/1997-10/toolman.html

Chad

* Re: Does emacs have an edit pipeline mode?
@ 2007-07-14 20:51 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2007-07-14 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

grocery_stocker <cdalten@gmail.com> writes:

> Does emacs have something similar to vip when it comes to editing
> commands in a pipeline?
>
> What I mean, does emacs have something similar to what is in the
> following url
> http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/1997-10/toolman.html

Have you actually read that article?  In particular the part where he
says:

    I have to admit that temporary files are at work here. But the
    cleanup is automagic and transparent to the user. Also, just to
    prove that I'm not a vi nazi, vip is not restricted to just that
    editor. It will check your VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables
    and behave accordingly.

* Re: Does emacs have an edit pipeline mode?
@ 2007-07-14 21:09   ` grocery_stocker
From: grocery_stocker @ 2007-07-14 21:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 14, 1:51 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
> grocery_stocker <cdal...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Does emacs have something similar to vip when it comes to editing
> > commands in a pipeline?
>
> > What I mean, does emacs have something similar to what is in the
> > following url
> >http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/1997-10/toolman.html
>
> Have you actually read that article?  In particular the part where he
> says:
>
>     I have to admit that temporary files are at work here. But the
>     cleanup is automagic and transparent to the user. Also, just to
>     prove that I'm not a vi nazi, vip is not restricted to just that
>     editor. It will check your VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables
>     and behave accordingly.
>
> --
> David Kastrup, Kriemhildstr. 15, 44793 Bochum

I just skimmed it. Okay, so this was a moment of me opening my mouth
and inserting my foot. You win.

* Re: Does emacs have an edit pipeline mode?
@ 2007-07-15  0:35     ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-07-15  0:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 14:09:04 -0700, grocery_stocker <cdalten@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jul 14, 1:51 pm, David Kastrup <d...@gnu.org> wrote:
>>grocery_stocker <cdal...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> Does emacs have something similar to vip when it comes to editing
>>> commands in a pipeline?
>>
>>> What I mean, does emacs have something similar to what is in the
>>> following url
>>> http://www.usenix.org/publications/login/1997-10/toolman.html
>>
>> Have you actually read that article?  In particular the part where he
>> says:
>>
>>     I have to admit that temporary files are at work here. [...]
>>     It will check your VISUAL and EDITOR environment variables
>>     and behave accordingly.
>
> I just skimmed it. Okay, so this was a moment of me opening my mouth
> and inserting my foot. You win.

Actually, everybody wins!

You win because you know the solution to the original question now, and
we win because we got to know about a new tool :-)