all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Shouldn't emacs .rpm enable the clipboard?
@ 2007-09-21 13:27 Jonathan Robie
       [not found] ` <mailman.1120.1190390940.18990.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Jonathan Robie @ 2007-09-21 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

When I install emacs, shouldn't the rpm modify .emacs to enable the
clipboard by default?

Jonathan

* Re: Shouldn't emacs .rpm enable the clipboard?
@ 2007-09-21 16:08 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.1120.1190390940.18990.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2007-09-21 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Robie; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:27:59 -0400
> From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>
>
> When I install emacs, shouldn't the rpm modify .emacs to enable the
> clipboard by default?

It shouldn't need to: the X selection is enabled by default when you
run Emacs on X.

If you have a specific problem, please report the recipe to reproduce
it, starting with "emacs -Q".  Thanks in advance.

@ 2007-09-21 16:22   ` Sven Joachim
From: Sven Joachim @ 2007-09-21 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, Jonathan Robie

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:27:59 -0400
>> From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com>
>>
>> When I install emacs, shouldn't the rpm modify .emacs to enable the
>> clipboard by default?
>
> It shouldn't need to: the X selection is enabled by default when you
> run Emacs on X.

Yes, but not the clipboard.  This means you normally cannot paste text
from Emacs into other programs with the keyboard, since this operation
usually uses the clipboard rather than the primary selection.

For that reason, I set x-select-enable-clipboard to t in my .emacs, I
hate to reach to the mouse and paste with the middle button.
Would it be an idea set x-select-enable-clipboard to t by default?