all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer, pop-to-buffer
@ 2008-03-01  4:27 ` Otto Maddox
From: Otto Maddox @ 2008-03-01  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

When running Emacs on either X or Mac OS X:

;; Similar to display-buffer-other-frame, but without all the
;; raise-frame, make-frame-{in,}visible stuff.  The point is to
;; illustrate annoyingly inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer.
(defun my-display-buffer (buf)
  (let ((pop-up-frames t)
        same-window-buffer-names
        same-window-regexps)
    (display-buffer buf t)))

Create but don't display a buffer named "foo":
(get-buffer-create "foo")

Pop up a new frame, selected and WITH focus:
(my-display-buffer "foo")

Pop up the "foo" frame, selected but WITHOUT focus this time:
(my-display-buffer "foo")

????

Again, go back to the original frame with C-x 5 o and also do
C-x b foo RET to make "foo" the current buffer.  Two issues this time.
The other "foo" frame is not raised but a new frame is unnecessarily
created (the doc says that pop-up-frames means that visible and
iconified frames should be searched).  Also, the newly created frame
is WITH focus this time:
(my-display-buffer "foo")

The same inconsistent behaviour happens if you substitute
pop-to-buffer for display-buffer in the definition of
my-display-buffer, which seems definitely buggy because the doc for
pop-to-buffer says that it should select the buffer.

In GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.9.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0)
 of 2007-06-08
--
  Otto Maddox
  ottomaddox@fastmail.fm

* Re: Inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer, pop-to-buffer
@ 2008-03-05 21:05   ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2008-03-05 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

"Otto Maddox" <ottomaddox@fastmail.fm> writes:

> When running Emacs on either X or Mac OS X:
>
> ;; Similar to display-buffer-other-frame, but without all the
> ;; raise-frame, make-frame-{in,}visible stuff.  The point is to
> ;; illustrate annoyingly inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer.
> (defun my-display-buffer (buf)
>   (let ((pop-up-frames t)
>         same-window-buffer-names
>         same-window-regexps)
>     (display-buffer buf t)))
>
> Create but don't display a buffer named "foo":
> (get-buffer-create "foo")
>
> Pop up a new frame, selected and WITH focus:
> (my-display-buffer "foo")

> Pop up the "foo" frame, selected but WITHOUT focus this time:
> (my-display-buffer "foo")

I'll take a look at this, but my feeling is that this is a window
manager issue.  The window manager automatically selects any new frame
that Emacs creates, and this is not necessarily something we can (or
should) change.

* bug#30: marked as done (Inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer, pop-to-buffer)
@ 2009-01-04 19:20   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-01-04 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics

Your message dated Sun, 04 Jan 2009 20:10:00 +0100
with message-id <49610988.9000607@gmx.at>
and subject line Re: Inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer, pop-to-buffer
has caused the Emacs bug report #30,
regarding Inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer, pop-to-buffer
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
immediately.)

--
30: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=30
Emacs Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 6330 bytes --]

From: "Otto Maddox" <ottomaddox@fastmail.fm>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Inconsistent behaviour of display-buffer, pop-to-buffer
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 04:27:23 +0000

[...]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1971 bytes --]

From: martin rudalics <rudalics@gmx.at>
To: 30-done@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Cc: ottomaddox@fastmail.fm
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2009 20:10:00 +0100

This bug should now have been resolved for CVS Emacs by the following
two fixes:

2008-09-11  Martin Rudalics  <rudalics@gmx.at>

	* window.el (pop-to-buffer): If the window for buffer-or-name is
	not on the selected frame, raise that window's frame and give it
	input focus.  (Bug#745)

2009-01-04  Martin Rudalics  <rudalics@gmx.at>

	* window.el (display-buffer): When a buffer is displayed in the
	selected and some other window, and not-this-window is non-nil,
	try to return that other window instead of popping up a new
	frame.  (Bug#30)

Thanks for reporting, martin.