dhruva writes: > Hi, > > On Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 3:56 AM, Martin Geisler wrote: >>dhruva writes: >>> Having tried a bunch of SCM, I must say GIT way of supporting >>> multiple branches under the same folder along with its speed it a >>> sure winner. I was opposing GIT due to its non-availability on M$, >>> it is history now and the port they have is really good. The build >>> is streamlined on M$ too, I pull their changes regularly, build, >>> install and use the bleeding edge. It has not failed me so far. >>> >>> If Mercurial had the ability to truly support multiple branches in >>> the same folder (with out requiring me to merge all branches before >>> I can pull - pull works only if there is a single tip/branch), I >>> would have preferred it mainly because it just needs PYTHON and >>> nothing else (GIT needs PERL and SHELL). >> >> I think you are confusing several 'heads' with several 'branches' >> here. And even if you have several heads in your Mercurial >> repository, you can certainly still pull in new changesets. > > I have seen it and have used it too. The problem comes (from my > experience) when you have to push. I agree you can create a new named > branch and just pull in changes or do a forced pull which will create > a new head. Suppose I want to keep multiple named branches active and > yet push to a remote repository from one of the named branch, IMO it > is not possible with mercurial. I would be happy to know if there is a > way to do it. I'm afraid I'm no expert on named branches in Mercurial, I just wanted to point out that pulling in changesets is a normal supported operation even when you have multiple heads. I've posted this to the Mercurial user list too since I think the question is much more suited for them to answer. -- Martin Geisler VIFF (Virtual Ideal Functionality Framework) brings easy and efficient SMPC (Secure Multi-Party Computation) to Python. See: http://viff.dk/.