all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-19 20:16 Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel

Does it really make sense to do such changes interactively? If you know
what you are doing when you call this function then surely you know how
to do it in elisp, or?

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-20 14:14 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-20 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

> Does it really make sense to do such changes interactively? If you know what
> you are doing when you call this function then surely you know how to do it
> in elisp, or?

Indeed.  Please make it non-interactive.

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21  6:58 ` Toby Allsopp
From: Toby Allsopp @ 2008-03-21  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman (gmail); +Cc: Emacs Devel

On Thu, Mar 20 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:

> Does it really make sense to do such changes interactively? If you
> know what you are doing when you call this function then surely you
> know how to do it in elisp, or?

FWIW, I use M-x make-variable-buffer-local quite often while editing
Perl code using cperl-mode.  I find that I quite often want different
values of `cperl-indent-level' in different buffers.  Perhaps this means
I should just put (make-variable-buffer-local 'cperl-indent-level) in my
.emacs.

Toby.

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21 10:57   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-03-21 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toby Allsopp; +Cc: Emacs Devel

Toby Allsopp wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20 2008, Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
>
>> Does it really make sense to do such changes interactively? If you
>> know what you are doing when you call this function then surely you
>> know how to do it in elisp, or?
>
> FWIW, I use M-x make-variable-buffer-local quite often while editing
> Perl code using cperl-mode.  I find that I quite often want different
> values of `cperl-indent-level' in different buffers.  Perhaps this means
> I should just put (make-variable-buffer-local 'cperl-indent-level) in my
> .emacs.

Yes, probably. There is of course also make-local-variable which is less
drastic (but does not help very much in .emacs ... ;-)

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21 17:59   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-21 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toby Allsopp; +Cc: Lennart Borgman (gmail), Emacs Devel

>> Does it really make sense to do such changes interactively? If you
>> know what you are doing when you call this function then surely you
>> know how to do it in elisp, or?

> FWIW, I use M-x make-variable-buffer-local quite often while editing
> Perl code using cperl-mode.  I find that I quite often want different
> values of `cperl-indent-level' in different buffers.  Perhaps this means
> I should just put (make-variable-buffer-local 'cperl-indent-level) in my
> .emacs.

This is not a good use case for make-variable-buffer-local.  It's a use
case for make-local-variable (or something along these lines: maybe
there should be a M-x set-var-locally).

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21 18:36     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2008-03-21 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Lennart Borgman (gmail), Toby Allsopp, Emacs Devel

On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

> (or something along these lines: maybe
>  there should be a M-x set-var-locally).

C-u M-x set-variable <RET>

 Juanma

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21 18:39     ` Toby Allsopp
From: Toby Allsopp @ 2008-03-21 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Devel; +Cc: Lennart Borgman (gmail), Stefan Monnier

On Sat, Mar 22 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> This is not a good use case for make-variable-buffer-local.  It's a use
> case for make-local-variable (or something along these lines: maybe
> there should be a M-x set-var-locally).

Ah, thanks, make-local-variable sounds like exactly what I actually
want.  Something like set-var-locally would be pretty handy, but I can
easily define one in my .emacs.

Regards,
Toby.

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21 18:45       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-03-21 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Lennart Borgman (gmail), Toby Allsopp, Emacs Devel

>> (or something along these lines: maybe
>> there should be a M-x set-var-locally).

> C-u M-x set-variable <RET>

Thanks,

        Stefan "who uses M-: (set (make-local-variable ...) ...) instead"

* Re: Why is make-variable-buffer-local interactive?
@ 2008-03-21 18:57       ` Toby Allsopp
From: Toby Allsopp @ 2008-03-21 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Lennart Borgman (gmail), Stefan Monnier, Emacs Devel

On Sat, Mar 22 2008, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Stefan Monnier
> <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>
>> (or something along these lines: maybe
>>  there should be a M-x set-var-locally).
>
> C-u M-x set-variable <RET>

Well there you go!  It was right under my nose all along.

Thanks,
Toby.