(I used M-x report-emacs-bug to report a bug, and it bounced, with this feedback from the mailer-daemon: "A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org". The report included two long backtraces and perhaps the length is a problem. So I'm trying to repost now without the backtraces. If this works, I'll send the backtraces in separate followups.) In GNU Emacs 23.1.93.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.18.6) of 2010-03-02 on escher Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10605000 Important settings: value of $LC_ALL: nil value of $LC_COLLATE: nil value of $LC_CTYPE: nil value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil value of $LC_MONETARY: nil value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil value of $LC_TIME: nil value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8 value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix default enable-multibyte-characters: t I've encountered a redisplay bug which locks up Emacs completely, C-g has no effect. I've seen two manifestions resulting from essentially the same recipe, both involving the scroll bar. In one manifestation, the scroll bar vanishes when Emacs locks up; in the other, the scroll bar flickers very rapidly. I haven't been able to pin down exactly when which manifestation occurs; maybe it's a timing issue. However, the lock up is reproducible, but under rather complex conditions. I've managed to pare down my initializations to a minimum amount that induces the lock up. Here is the recipe: 1. Let ~/.emacs consist of the attached file. This loads the third party library tabbar.el, available at , so make sure to adjust the path in the load sexp. 2. Let ~/.newsrc consist of the following line: gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.user: 1-110249 (Also, maybe there shouldn't be a nonempty directory ~/News/, though it might not matter). 3. Start emacs. 4. Type M-x gnus, and when the Group buffer comes up, enter the newsgroup gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.user 5. Type `j' (gnus-summary-goto-article) and at the prompt paste in this Message-ID: 20100301190055.GP15950@wahoo.no-ip.org => The scroll bar disappears and Emacs locks up hard. I've reproduced this under gdb and gotten two different backtraces, which I will post in followups, if this report makes it into the bugtracker.