all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
       [not found] <55f24183-4134-4748-b9d1-b3864afd39b2@x24g2000pro.googlegroups.com>
@ 2010-07-24 21:14 ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-07-24 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jeongtae Roh <basil83@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi.
>
> I tried to find out a solution by myself, but failed.
>
> I hope C-d do "kill-region" command when I selected words or
> sentences.
>
> Now it works only as "delete-forward-character", even if I activate a
> region.
>
> So I studied the original code of CUA mode, because it has a function
> like this:
>
> ;; Only when the region is currently active (and highlighted since
> ;; transient-mark-mode is used), the C-x and C-c keys will work as CUA
> ;; keys
> ;;     C-x -> cut
> ;;     C-c -> copy
> ;; When the region is not active, C-x and C-c works as prefix keys!
>
> Can anybody tell me what should I do?
>

> -- Jeongtae

That's easy.  Use `use-region-p' to branch to the desired command and
`call-interactively' for not having to bother about the arguments.

(defun kill-region/delete-forward-character ()
  (interactive)
  (call-interactively (if (use-region-p)
                          'kill-region
                        'delete-char)))

-ap

@ 2010-07-25  6:59 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-07-25  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Jeongtae Roh <basil83@gmail.com> writes:

> I tried to find out a solution by myself, but failed.
>
> I hope C-d do "kill-region" command when I selected words or
> sentences.

That's default in the development version:

delete-active-region is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
Its value is t

Documentation:
Whether single-char deletion commands delete an active region.
This has an effect only if Transient Mark mode is enabled, and
affects `delete-forward-char' and `delete-backward-char', though
not `delete-char'.

If the value is the symbol `kill', the active region is killed
instead of deleted.

You can customize this variable.

This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
version 24.1 of Emacs.

--
David Kastrup

* Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
@ 2010-07-26  8:17   ` Elena
From: Elena @ 2010-07-26  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 24, 9:14 pm, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> That's easy.  Use `use-region-p' to branch to the desired command and
> `call-interactively' for not having to bother about the arguments.

Thank you very much, Andreas.

Is this the recommended way to write commands which act on the region?
Until now, I was just using `region-active-p'.

* Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
@ 2010-07-26  9:24     ` Andreas Politz
From: Andreas Politz @ 2010-07-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Elena <egarrulo@gmail.com> writes:

> On Jul 24, 9:14 pm, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
>> That's easy.  Use `use-region-p' to branch to the desired command and
>> `call-interactively' for not having to bother about the arguments.
>
> Thank you very much, Andreas.
>
> Is this the recommended way to write commands which act on the region?
> Until now, I was just using `region-active-p'.

Take a look at the function doc and it'll tell you the difference.

-ap

* Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
@ 2010-07-26 13:07       ` TheFlyingDutchman
From: TheFlyingDutchman @ 2010-07-26 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jul 26, 2:24 am, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> Elena <egarr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Jul 24, 9:14 pm, Andreas Politz <poli...@fh-trier.de> wrote:
> >> That's easy.  Use `use-region-p' to branch to the desired command and
> >> `call-interactively' for not having to bother about the arguments.
>
> > Thank you very much, Andreas.
>
> > Is this the recommended way to write commands which act on the region?
> > Until now, I was just using `region-active-p'.
>
> Take a look at the function doc and it'll tell you the difference.
>
> -ap

It there a way to determine what version of Emacs a function first hit
the scene?

* Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
@ 2011-03-09 23:50   ` Brendan Halpin
From: Brendan Halpin @ 2011-03-09 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Jul 25 2010, David Kastrup wrote:

> delete-active-region is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
> Its value is t
>
> Documentation:
> Whether single-char deletion commands delete an active region.
> This has an effect only if Transient Mark mode is enabled, and
> affects `delete-forward-char' and `delete-backward-char', though
> not `delete-char'.
>
> If the value is the symbol `kill', the active region is killed
> instead of deleted.

I've just discovered this and I hate it!

I reckon I'll just have to (setq delete-active-region nil) and
<flame-bait>live with being marginalised by all the new kids who want
Emacs to be more like Windows</flamebait>.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F1-009 x 3147

* Re: I want to make C-d works in two ways.
@ 2011-03-10  1:38     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-03-10  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

brendan.halpin@ul.ie (Brendan Halpin) writes:

> On Sun, Jul 25 2010, David Kastrup wrote:
>
>> delete-active-region is a variable defined in `simple.el'.
>> Its value is t
>>
>> Documentation:
>> Whether single-char deletion commands delete an active region.
>> This has an effect only if Transient Mark mode is enabled, and
>> affects `delete-forward-char' and `delete-backward-char', though
>> not `delete-char'.
>>
>> If the value is the symbol `kill', the active region is killed
>> instead of deleted.
>
> I've just discovered this and I hate it!
>
> I reckon I'll just have to (setq delete-active-region nil) and
> <flame-bait>live with being marginalised by all the new kids who want
> Emacs to be more like Windows</flamebait>.

It makes far more sense for the same commands to work on a region as
they do on a char "out of the box" in my opinion. Regardless of whether
you use Windows or not. If I hilite a region its to operate on it. And
delete is an operation. Still, the wonders of emacs customisations mean
that old curmudgeons can have their way too ;)