all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* allow loading initialization from .org file -- would be breaking change
@ 2010-11-18 16:48 Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-18 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

It is now possible to load a user's initialization from emacs-lisp code
blocks embedded in Org-mode files using the `org-babel-load-file'
command.  Currently users of this setup must still have an elisp init.el
function which loads up their .org files.  See for example this fairly
widely used configuration [1] which uses this init file [2].

Would it make sense to begin loading .init.org and .emacs.org files by
default.  This would be a breaking change for any users who have both
.init.el and .init.org, and what's worse it would overwrite the .init.el
file when the embedded elisp is tangled out of the Org-mode file.

Best -- Eric

Footnotes:
[1]

[2]

* Re: allow loading initialization from .org file -- would be breaking change
@ 2010-11-22 15:36 ` Eric Schulte
From: Eric Schulte @ 2010-11-22 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-devel

Apologies for the incomplete email, it was accidentally sent from my
gnus nndraft:drafts Group.

But I suppose now is as good a time as any for asking this question.
I've just fleshed out the two previously missing footnote links below.

-- Eric

@ 2010-11-22 16:40   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2010-11-22 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Schulte; +Cc: emacs-devel

> It is now possible to load a user's initialization from emacs-lisp code
> blocks embedded in Org-mode files using the `org-babel-load-file'
> command.  Currently users of this setup must still have an elisp init.el
> function which loads up their .org files.  See for example this fairly
> widely used configuration [1] which uses this init file [2].
>
> Would it make sense to begin loading .init.org and .emacs.org files by
> default.  This would be a breaking change for any users who have both
> .init.el and .init.org, and what's worse it would overwrite the .init.el
> file when the embedded elisp is tangled out of the Org-mode file.

I don't think we want to hook Org so deeply in the startup code.
And note that org-babel-load-file is autoloaded, so the init.el file can
be reduced down to just:

   (org-babel-load-file (locate-user-emacs-file "init.org"))