On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 18:50:42 -0400 Glenn Morris wrote: GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote: Tom> Why not put an autoload cookie on load-dirs? Tom> That would be friendlier for users. >> >> I didn't think of it, thanks. I added those to my copy. GM> Noooo.... Please don't autoload defcustoms unless they really, really GM> need it. OK. See attached. On Thu, 17 Mar 2011 22:21:33 -0400 Stefan Monnier wrote: >> OK. I've attached the library (now called load-dir.el, which I think is >> much better than user-load-*, especially since the function names are SM> The mapcar call should be replaced by mapc or dolist. As mentioned, SM> you may want to add an autoload cookie on the [`load-dirs'] SM> function. I did the mapc. Not sure about the autoload cookie, see above. So it's off for now. SM> Also you'll want to replace `ignore-errors' with SM> `with-demoted-errors'. More importantly, if it's an ELPA package, SM> it can hook itself via autoload cookies so the user doesn't even SM> need to call load-dirs and can just set load-dirs instead. E.g. SM> ;;;###autoload SM> (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'load-dirs) Done. Thanks for the suggestions. I wasn't sure if this is a good default because of people who want to use this package but not on startup. But I guess that's a rare enough case that this is OK as the default. Ted